AlmaAtaKZ

Unbelievably, I am in! Doing the Suitcase Challenge

Posted (edited)

I think I have the design for the stands that will mostly fit inside the suitcase (except the legs - which I will have to strap on to the suitcase).

I bought the material, got it pre-cut at the shop, prefab and trial fit will be at home, then disassemble, into the suitcase, final assembly, gluing (and maybe even painting) on site. I need some fast-drying glue...

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

Posted (edited)

The legs are 12mm pine rods, the shelves are 9mm MDF sheets cut at the shop to (the wrong) size. Material cost = a few quid. Cutting = free.

Still haven't gotten the suitcase out of storage so no idea if it all fits inside. The load is growing every day :dunno:

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

I stand amazed... :dunno:

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

I think I have the design for the stands that will mostly fit inside the suitcase (except the legs - which I will have to strap on to the suitcase).

Cut legs to fit case then add a threaded stud to one  and screw hole to other (same principle as a 2 piece snooker cue)

You could of course just cut the head off some wood screws, then Araldite the blunt end in one half and screw into the other (obviously drill a pilot hole in other half to accept the screw thread)

This should give you an idea of whats available commercially. Should be able to pick up from B&Q etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=threaded+studs&LH_PrefLoc=1&_ftrt=901&_sop=15&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&LH_BIN=1&_osacat=0&_stpos=PO197LA&_ipg=50&_ftrv=1&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=dual+threaded+studs+for+wood&_sacat=0

Edited by Lurch
  • Upvote 1

yes, all good ideas, but I am aiming the lowest possible budget too, so no further material purchases planned. Got to make do with what I have.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Scratch that.

Just had an idea for more tinkering :-), went to b&q during lunch and bought a few more bits for the stands

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Upvote 1