AlmaAtaKZ

Unbelievably, I am in! Doing the Suitcase Challenge

5 minutes ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

That would be fantastic! Thank you for the offer! I shall take it up!

Yes, Saturday. Large suitcase, likely with cables dangling behind 🙏

PM'd you

I am now travelling by train, arriving East Mid Parkway statio at abt 11am on Sat.
Anyone knows if there is a minicab station there or get point me to a local cab co?
Or is there a bus from the station to somwhere near the hotel?
Audio Al has kindly offered to hire a van for the two of us to join him, are you interested or have you bought the tickets now?

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

I got a set back. And a new challenge. 

the stands that I was planning to use have sold so no longer available... and they would have disqualified at least one system in my 3-system suitcase. So, I need plan B for stands...

the stands need to:

a) be strong and stable enough for a pair of 8-kg speaker (each!), 20cm x 25 cm x 30cm

b) be tall enough (60-90cm)

c) still fit in the suitcase already containing the 3 systems...

d) optional - look cool :cool:

Any ideas, Wammers?!

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

Double post

Edited by Lurch

Super Wammer

You may have a room with 2 bedside tables :D

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
6 hours ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

I got a set back. And a new challenge. 

the stands that I was planning to use have sold so no longer available... and they would have disqualified at least one system in my 3-system suitcase. So, I need plan B for stands...

the stands need to:

a) be strong and stable enough for a pair of 8-kg speaker (each!), 20cm x 25 cm x 30cm

b) be tall enough (60-90cm)

c) still fit in the suitcase already containing the 3 systems...

d) optional - look cool :cool:

Any ideas, Wammers?!

I shouldn't worry to much about height as no one expects miracles, however I you need stands to use outside of the suitcase Judging, then I have a pair of 70cm Atacama stands I'm bringing to sell and you can use those if you stick a for sale sign on them (Pic Below, pillar is sand filled).

In answer to your question, 'what to use that fits in a suitcase?' Then as per my earlier post, a shower stool that clips together, if it can take my weight it can take a speaker. 

These on eBay come flat packed and extend to 51cm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Aluminium-7-Height-Adjust-Round-Shower-Bath-Stool-Seat-Disability-Aid-Chair/253999621788?epid=0&hash=item3b238ea69c:g:Xj8AAOSwDEBb-9b-&frcectupt=true

Or how about a tripod stool, best I coould find at a sensible price gives 44cm, however nothing to stop you from making a hardboard/MDF top plate with 3 wood blocks underneath which stop the legs spreading so far, thus increasing its height.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Summit-Strong-Camping-Fishing-Folding-Travel-Tripod-Stool-Chair-Seat-Carry-Bag/122026494515?epid=1057559350&hash=item1c69588a33:g:rFkAAOSw2sZbS4LX

T15510380587661161663231.thumb.jpg.d118a159fd498a234e223c5ead55ecdf.jpg

...or just use the furniture in the room...?

Super Wammer

yes , i love the sign in the audionote room at shows ." We are using a hotel table ."  sounds great and i am sure there must be some suitable furniture there   

I'm sure there's an audiophile somewhere that later calls the Hotel to enquire where they sourced the table and if they can get one.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, greybeard said:

You may have a room with 2 bedside tables :D

I am counting on that! But I have 3 systems so would not say no to spare furniture laying about

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I shouldn't worry to much about height as no one expects miracles, however I you need stands to use outside of the suitcase Judging, then I have a pair of 70cm Atacama stands I'm bringing to sell and you can use those if you stick a for sale sign on them (Pic Below, pillar is sand filled).

In answer to your question, 'what to use that fits in a suitcase?' Then as per my earlier post, a shower stool that clips together, if it can take my weight it can take a speaker. 

These on eBay come flat packed and extend to 51cm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Aluminium-7-Height-Adjust-Round-Shower-Bath-Stool-Seat-Disability-Aid-Chair/253999621788?epid=0&hash=item3b238ea69c:g:Xj8AAOSwDEBb-9b-&frcectupt=true

Or how about a tripod stool, best I coould find at a sensible price gives 44cm, however nothing to stop you from making a hardboard/MDF top plate with 3 wood blocks underneath which stop the legs spreading so far, thus increasing its height.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Summit-Strong-Camping-Fishing-Folding-Travel-Tripod-Stool-Chair-Seat-Carry-Bag/122026494515?epid=1057559350&hash=item1c69588a33:g:rFkAAOSw2sZbS4LX

T15510380587661161663231.thumb.jpg.d118a159fd498a234e223c5ead55ecdf.jpg

Lurch, this is a great post, thank you. The shower stool / tripod option is practical and cost effective, but still too bulky - two of them will not fit in the same suitcase as the 3 systems. It is also would not be elegant.

So, I have decided to *make* the stands on site. UK sourced materials bought locally (well, b&q next to the office). Unique artisan finish. Precision engineered hand made stands. Hand made in Kegworth.

This will hopefully keep all my 3 systems out of disqualification for using stands I did not bring on me by public transport and avoid dependency on any extra furniture (attention, judge).

Lurch, very kind offer!

Edited by AlmaAtaKZ
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, AlmaAtaKZ said:

Lurch, this is a great post, thank you. The shower stool / tripod option is practical and cost effective, but still too bulky - two of them will not fit in the same suitcase as the 3 systems. It is also would not be elegant.

So, I have decided to *make* the stands on site. UK sourced materials bought locally (well, b&q next to the office). Unique artisan finish. Precision engineered hand made stands. Hand made in Kegworth.

This will hopefully keep all my 3 systems out of disqualification for using stands I did not bring on me by public transport and avoid dependency on any extra furniture (attention, judge).

Lurch, very kind offer!

@AlmaAtaKZ I will not be using the tow bedroom tables in my room during the show so you are more than welcome to get in touch saturday and use them alongside the two that will be in your room that takes care of at least two pairs oif speakers . I am sure the last system could be put on the long table that will also be in the room and fire across the width . Saves you using any stands at all and also keeps you within the rules of the suitcase competition .

Thanks, bencat! Fantastic!

At least two systems sorted! I need those tables!

I will confirm with the judge that spare furniture can be used, just in case. 🧐