Sign in to follow this  
orbscure

Genesis on CD?

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)

:D I know all about the Japanese rabbit hole from my Mike Oldfield collecting days Barry...  this is a simple need, by a simple fella to source good quality Genesis on CD and at prices that don't take big chunks from my cartridge kitty ;) 

Edited by orbscure
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, orbscure said:

Keen to check these out, so have you got a pointer to any of these mid-2000's CD boxsets 

They are out of print as box sets, rarely available and very expensive. They were hybrid SACD with CD and multi-channel mixes and supplementary DVDs with concerts as well as hybrid extra discs. I think each of the CD mixes are still available as CDs and could be bought individually.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Thanks Les... I've grown to enjoy their work since my involvement with this thread, but I'm happy to stick with the original standard CD's at keen prices :) 

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Sumdumgi said:

They are out of print as box sets, rarely available and very expensive. They were hybrid SACD with CD and multi-channel mixes and supplementary DVDs with concerts as well as hybrid extra discs. I think each of the CD mixes are still available as CDs and could be bought individually.

AFAIK the CD/SACD hybrids were only available in the US, and we got DVDs which didn't have hi-res files on them. The SACDs were mastered even hotter than the CDs, surprisingly.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, bigfool1956 said:

AFAIK the CD/SACD hybrids were only available in the US, and we got DVDs which didn't have hi-res files on them. The SACDs were mastered even hotter than the CDs, surprisingly.

The box sets I have are definitely CD/SACD hybrids and are European releases bought from HMV.

Here’s a used 76-82 still on Amazon for £499 :shock:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genesis-1976-1982-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B000MTOQKE

Edited by Sumdumgi

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Sumdumgi said:

The box sets I have are definitely CD/SACD hybrids and are European releases bought from HMV.

Here’s a used 76-82 still on Amazon for £499 :shock:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genesis-1976-1982-Hybrid-SACD/dp/B000MTOQKE

Seems I've understood that arse about face all these years. It's the US who didn't get the SACD hybrids according to Wikipedia. Learned something today.

Apart from Selling England I'm not really happy with any Genesis SQ  , I have fond memories of "And The There Were Three" , now I'm an audiophile (xD) my original vinyl sounds dreadful .

I might revisited them all critically and take notes :geek:

47 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Apart from Selling England I'm not really happy with any Genesis SQ  , I have fond memories of "And The There Were Three" , now I'm an audiophile (xD) my original vinyl sounds dreadful .

I might revisited them all critically and take notes :geek:

And Then There Were 3 wasn’t a typical recording for Genesis IMHO. It was very thin and bass light I thought. The original vinyl and CD I loved but that was on poor equipment, both sound poor to me now. The 2007/8 box set release is better but still not great. I’ve not done any critical comparisons but still would plump for the box sets release which in the main are available as single CDs. In any event much of the music in their albums is amongst my very favourite and I listen to it regularly. Whether it’s on a Sonos 1, headphones whilst out walking, from SD card in the car, vinyl, cd, sacd or streamed ALAC on my main system I enjoy it all and that’s the main thing for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

In any event much of the music in their albums is amongst my very favourite

They were and if pushed still my favourite band . 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I saw them 4 times at the Croydon Greyhound, and once at Brighton Dome, each time with PG singing. Haven't seen them since. My school friends went to the famous 1973 Rainbow gig, but I couldn't afford it :( . Haven't seen them since.

Saw them perform "The Light" at the first gig of theirs I went to, and "Twilight Alehouse" a couple of times.

I recently reacquired a first pressing of Foxtrot having foolishly given away original one (and Nursery Cryme) to a GF when I was in my early twenties, thinking the replacements I bought would be better :doh:. I also recently reacquired Nursery Cryme with a large hatter label, which has the same matrix as the first pressing (A-1, B-2) according to Discogs. I wonder what happened to B-1, maybe it was rejected for some reason.

I can safely say that the original masters/pressings of these two are much better than the pressings from the late 70s which I also possess and are thin and bright.

• Like 2

Foxtrot was one of my kit demo albums back when I used to demo new kit.

I have far to many Genesis LPs and CDs from around the world.

The earlier vinyl pressing the better and same goes for the CDs.

That goes for all Genesis albums.

I have the remastered sets only because I'm a Genesis completest but never play them.

19 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

I saw them 4 times at the Croydon Greyhound, and once at Brighton Dome, each time with PG singing. Haven't seen them since. My school friends went to the famous 1973 Rainbow gig, but I couldn't afford it :( . Haven't seen them since.

Saw them perform "The Light" at the first gig of theirs I went to, and "Twilight Alehouse" a couple of times.

I recently reacquired a first pressing of Foxtrot having foolishly given away original one (and Nursery Cryme) to a GF when I was in my early twenties, thinking the replacements I bought would be better :doh:. I also recently reacquired Nursery Cryme with a large hatter label, which has the same matrix as the first pressing (A-1, B-2) according to Discogs. I wonder what happened to B-1, maybe it was rejected for some reason.

I can safely say that the original masters/pressings of these two are much better than the pressings from the late 70s which I also possess and are thin and bright.

My first Genesis gig in 71,also saw them several times at the Greyhound and across the road at the Fairfields, missed the rainbow gig,but went to the Theatre Royal in about 75,never saw them without Gabriel.

6bobad.jpg

• Like 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, GJO said:

My first Genesis gig in 71,also saw them several times at the Greyhound and across the road at the Fairfields, missed the rainbow gig,but went to the Theatre Royal in about 75,never saw them without Gabriel.

6bobad.jpg

Ahh the famous six bob tour. I was 14 when that went round, just before I discovered music so I missed out on that stellar bill.

2 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

Ahh the famous six bob tour. I was 14 when that went round, just before I discovered music so I missed out on that stellar bill.

Yep,a few weeks before decimalisation.

• Like 1