Sign in to follow this  
orbscure

Genesis on CD?

Super Wammer

I'm looking to hoover up the Genesis back catalogue on CD, so what is the general consensus amongst members as to which releases/reissues/remasters/remixes I should be looking for?

Cheers
Pete

Super Wammer

The earliest CDs are the best, although a lot of people like the Definitive Editions because they've been EQed to be a bit more punchy. Anything else is a remix, and personally I'm not keen on those (in common with most other Genesis fans).

All the latest vinyl are the remixes too.

• Upvote 1

I have all the early albums up to Wind & Wuthering on The Definitive Editions , nothing to write home about , as David says the original ones are supposed to be the best .

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Thanks chaps... this appears to be the general consensus elsewhere, but its always good to get feedback from the WAM brotherhood :)  

5 minutes ago, orbscure said:

general consensus elsewhere

Off a Genesis forum , one members view :

Personally, I tend to go back and forth between the original CDs and the 1994 remasters. It was fun to hear subtle details that the 2007/08 remixes brought out, and they are great to listen to in 5.1. However, I am not a fan of the compression/limiting used in the mastering stage. It "squashes" the mix, and there's no sense of space, and no dynamics. I'm a big believer in dynamics which is something very few think about in today's music climate. All this being said, here's my preferences for each album:

Trespass: the MCA CD for sound/94 remaster for completeness (MCA has some early fadeouts). The 2008 remix is also fantastic!

Nursery Cryme: 94 Remaster...2008 remix is also very good.

Foxtrot: Tend to prefer the original CD overall, but my copy has the first half second missing of Watcher Of The Skies/94 remaster otherwise.

Live: The original Atlantic CD sounds amazing! 2008 Remix is also very good.

SEBTP: Original and 94 Remaster both sound great to me.

TLLDOB: 94 Remaster

ATOTT: Original ATCO CD

W&W: 94 Remaster

Seconds Out: I have both the 94 Remaster and the 2008 remix. Both sound excellent, and it's hard for me to pick a favorite...despite the remix being louder.

ATTWT: 94 Remaster

Duke: Original Atlantic CD (no contest here!)

Abacab: 94 Remaster

TSL: I have both the 94 Remaster and 2008 remix. I just barely prefer the 94 Remaster...but the remix is also very good.

Genesis: Original CD (prefer the original mix just barely)

Invisible Touch: Original CD (prefer the original mix)

We Can't Dance: Original CD (prefer the original mix)

TWWW: The 2008 remix I prefer just for the fact it's arranged as a proper live show

CAS: Original CD (prefer the original mix)

Drummer, Music Educator, Lifelong Genesis Fan

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Off a Genesis forum , one members view :

Thanks Barry... the words "Worms... can of... and open" spring to mind... and there was me looking at the early Charisma discs :D

Super Wammer

Looks like he's American, so he's not comparing with UK originals

Super Wammer

So early pre 1994 Charisma discs it'll be then Dave...

Super Wammer

Happy hunting

1 hour ago, orbscure said:

So early pre 1994 Charisma discs it'll be then Dave...

Go for it , I hate choice it plays with the mind O.o

Might be controversial with some but overall I’d go with the mid 2000 boxsets and my experience is growing up with originals and growing old with the 07/08 releases. Some of the original vinyl - Abacab, Genesis, 3 Sides Live is as good as it gets though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

Might be controversial with some but overall I’d go with the mid 2000 boxsets and my experience is growing up with originals and growing old with the 07/08 releases. Some of the original vinyl - Abacab, Genesis, 3 Sides Live is as good as it gets though.

Bloody 'ell Les , Pete has made a decision between original or '94 editions  and you come in with another choice xD

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

Keen to check these out, so have you got a pointer to any of these mid-2000's CD boxsets Les?

26 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Bloody 'ell Les , Pete has made a decision between original or '94 editions  and you come in with another choice xD

I'll probably still stick with the pre-1994 editions Barry... but its good to get alternatives :) 

3 minutes ago, orbscure said:

but its good to get alternatives

Oh right because there are some Japanese editions........:D