lostwin

Making the most of Kegworth

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

This will be my first WAM show and indeed the first hi-fi show I have ever attended (I figure I should start with the best one!).

what tips would others more experienced in such events suggest to get the most out of the day?

Is it best to head for rooms where there might be a set up that particularly interests me or just to wander around and take it as it comes?

is it possible to see/hear everything in one day or would attempting that not leave enough time to chat or fully enjoy systems I particularly like the sound of?

what is on your must hear or must do list for this year?

Edited by lostwin
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, lostwin said:

This will be my first WAM show and indeed the first hi-fi show I have ever attended (I figure I should start with the best one!).

what tips would others more experienced in such events suggest to get the most out of the day?

Is it best to head for rooms where there might be a set up that particularly interests me or just to wander around and take it as it comes?

is it possible to see/hear everything in one day or would attempting that not leave enough time to chat or fully enjoy systems I particularly like the sound of?

what is on your must hear or must do list for this year?

I've never heard everything in one day; ear fatigue sets in and there are some rooms which you just have to spend more time in... but you won't know until you're in those rooms.

This will be my third or fourth show (I think) as an attendee and my fourth or fifth overall (I exhibited last year); I don't think I've cracked the ultimate Wam Show strategy and suspect there isn't one...

For what it's worth, there are a couple of rooms I'll be heading for in the first hour or two to make damned sure I hear them, but some of my most memorable moments have been in rooms where I didn't recognise anything on the kit list on the door but liked what I heard through it, so went in.... and came out smiling an hour or so later. Basically, you never know.

Top tip: if you walk into a room and don't like the sound, walk out again. There is no need to politely sit through a couple of tracks which do nothing for you. Wammers are used to it!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the later Scalford shows everyone where given a name tag and crayon (nothing sharp allowed), This was great so as we could recognise others and introduce ourselves and have a bit of a banter. 

This was not available at Kegworth - maybe a rethink. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, mickbald said:

At the later Scalford shows everyone where given a name tag and crayon (nothing sharp allowed), This was great so as we could recognise others and introduce ourselves and have a bit of a banter. 

This was not available at Kegworth - maybe a rethink. 

Great minds...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
19 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Top tip: if you walk into a room and don't like the sound, walk out again. There is no need to politely sit through a couple of tracks which do nothing for you. Wammers are used to it!

Except don't do this from the doorway, as the systems aren't set up to sound good in the doorway!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, lostwin said:

This will be my first WAM show and indeed the first hi-fi show I have ever attended (I figure I should start with the best one!).

what tips would others more experienced in such events suggest to get the most out of the day?

Is it best to head for rooms where there might be a set up that particularly interests me or just to wander around and take it as it comes?

is it possible to see/hear everything in one day or would attempting that not leave enough time to chat or fully enjoy systems I particularly like the sound of?

what is on your must hear or must do list for this year?

Have a look through the exhibitor's spreadsheet, print it out then circle the systems you think you must hear.  Prioritise those and if you're there as the show opens, head for the ones furtherest from the entrance first (they'll be quiet for the first 30-45 mins), perhaps leave 2 or 3 of them for the last hour when it gets a bit quieter again.  And inbetween just try what's next along the corridor.  I wouldn't dismiss any of the systems based on the kit list, there will be many suprises.

Edited by sunbeamgls
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Except don't do this from the doorway, as the systems aren't set up to sound good in the doorway!

This is very true. I was thinking of that moment when, seated centrally on the front row, you realise that the sound is not your sound and wonder how to make a swift yet polite exit... without resorting to the mock phonecall!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Have a look through the exhibitor's spreadsheet, print it out then circle the systems you think you must hear.  Prioritise those and if you're there as the show opens, head for the ones furtherest from the entrance first (they'll be quiet for the first 30-45 mins), perhaps leave 2 or 3 of them for the last hour when it gets a bit quieter again.  And inbetween just try what's next along the corridor.  I wouldn't dismiss any of the systems based on the kit list, there will be many suprises.

^ this. Great advice from an obviously experienced wammer!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
Posted (edited)

If you are staying the Saturday night, there is the possibility of checking out some of the show during the Saturday too, as the exhibitors get their systems up and running. If the door is open and there are sounds (not profanity!) coming out, you will be welcome to pop in for a listen. 

Edited by Tony_J
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Don't chat loudly and inanely if there are other people in the room. (We've all been to gigs like that :fight:)   If you want to discuss something with the owner of the gear, retire to the back, or just outside the room.  

Do ask for your own CD to be played if there's a player. Most will oblige.

Don't make criticisms of the gear or sounds if they aren't to your liking. 

If you are particularly impressed with something, tell the owner! You may see relief on their face that all their hard work has been worth it. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Except don't do this from the doorway, as the systems aren't set up to sound good in the doorway!

Neal, I suspect what was meant was if the type of music didn't suit - if you don't like classical who won't like classical. 

If you particularly like a certain type of music, album track etc take a copy with you on CD or LP. TBH, I would never plug a USB stick in without a check! 

If you have never seen the software that can show the room dynamics then this can be of interest - Neal, you had this this for the past few years didn't you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Tony_J said:

If you are staying the Saturday night, there is the possibility of checking out some of the show during the Saturday too, as the exhibitors get them up and running. If the door is open and there are sounds (not profanity!) coming out, you will be welcome to pop in for a listen. 

Is this right then?

  • Sounds only: come in
  • Profanity only: jog on
  • Sounds and profanity: normal. Come in!
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

Is this right then?

  • Sounds only: come in
  • Profanity only: jog on
  • Sounds and profanity: normal. Come in!

Yep - profanity with no music is definitely the danger sign...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
1 minute ago, Ed Howarth said:

Don't chat loudly and inanely if there are other people in the room. Just don't. (We've all been to gigs like that :fight:)   If you want to discuss something with the owner of the gear, retire to the back, or just outside the room.  

Do ask for your own CD to be played if there's a player. Most will oblige.

Don't make criticisms of the gear or sounds if they aren't to your liking. 

If you are particularly impressed with something, tell the owner! You may see relief on their face that all their hard work has been worth it. 

Fixed that for you.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer
21 minutes ago, mickbald said:

Neal, I suspect what was meant was if the type of music didn't suit - if you don't like classical who won't like classical. 

If you particularly like a certain type of music, album track etc take a copy with you on CD or LP. TBH, I would never plug a USB stick in without a check! 

If you have never seen the software that can show the room dynamics then this can be of interest - Neal, you had this this for the past few years didn't you? 

Yes, I can show the room mode compensation on a screen for those who ask - in Room 120

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.