hcanning

Stand-mount suggestions please - up to £600ish

Hi all,

We've just bought a house, and my other half is happy with me turning one of the spare rooms into a home cinema / listening room - something I've dreamt of for a while! 

This means I will need to set up a little 2ch system in the lounge for music and TV audio. And I love an excuse to buy new stuff. 

I've been trying to decide what speakers to choose for this.  Amp-wise I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a second hand Arcam or Meridian integrated. 

My budget for the speakers is ideally no more than £600ish and I'd like something that doesn't have too much of a laid-back sound.  They need to be stand-mounters and ideally not on the larger side of stand-mount size. I don't mind either second-hand or brand new.  Nice wood veneer finish only - I don't want a black or single-colour finish.

They will be placed up against the longest wall, but not near the side walls.

I've had a few in mind, namely:  Monitor Audio Silver 100, Kef R300 (second hand), Wharfedale Reva 2 (I have some Diamond 220s for my office system and they're better than they have any right to be).  

Anyone got any suggestions of great all-rounders that I may not have thought of? 

Thanks! 

32 minutes ago, hcanning said:

Hi all,

We've just bought a house, and my other half is happy with me turning one of the spare rooms into a home cinema / listening room - something I've dreamt of for a while! 

I don't want a black or single-colour finish.

Thanks! 

Shame you don't want a black finish. I have a lovely sounding pair of Epos ES14's in the classifieds @ £150.

With the saving you make, vinyl wrap them in any finish you care? They don't mind being up close to a back wall either as they run with foam bungs in-situ...

Something to do with Aperiodic loading.

Super Wammer

151-001-1400x1084.jpgHave you looked at the Kralk Audio TDB -6.  Can come in various wood finishes with magnetic grills if you do not like the leather look baffle.  Front ports so OK close to a wall. Not bland sounding. Reports on them are very good and you can speak to the chap that makes them! Oak stands as well?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hcanning said:

Hi all,

This means I will need to set up a little 2ch system in the lounge for music and TV audio. And I love an excuse to buy new stuff. 

I've been trying to decide what speakers to choose for this.  Amp-wise I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a second hand Arcam or Meridian integrated. 

My budget for the speakers is ideally no more than £600ish and I'd like something that doesn't have too much of a laid-back sound.  They need to be stand-mounters and ideally not on the larger side of stand-mount size. I don't mind either second-hand or brand new.  Nice wood veneer finish only - I don't want a black or single-colour finish.

I've had a few in mind, namely:  Monitor Audio Silver 100, Kef R300 (second hand), Wharfedale Reva 2 (I have some Diamond 220s for my office system and they're better than they have any right to be).  

Anyone got any suggestions of great all-rounders that I may not have thought of? 

Thanks! 

It'll boil down to which amp you choose. Nice pair of Dyns would be a good place to start, but they'll be useless with a entry-level Arcam or Nad.

If you want a speaker that sits close to a back wall then something like Neat Iotas would be ideal... and they match well with most price compatible amps.

22 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Old Kef R Series are good value atm and so worth a look ie R100/R300.

Far too deep, Cno.

Posted (edited)

If you’re buying speakers second hand, a pair of Proac Studio 110, 115 or 118 would get my vote.  Nice wood veneers, front ported so won’t suffer too much near the wall, lively sound and not too sensitive - great all-rounders.  Think they’d mate really well with Arcam.

Alternatively Neat Motive SX3s are also great speakers - small, punchy, lively and great fun.  Not as detailed in the treble as the Proacs, but slightly sweeter for it.

Edited by jas0_0

The best I have heard at the price are the NVA Cube 3s which work close to a wall. They are semi omnidirectional and work with the room. However, they are black and not wod finish.

The choices are fairly endless and your ears must decide.

Ignoring the money and focusing on sound my preference would be to check out what is available from 

IMF super compacts but these may be a tad on the larger side but sound wise turn in a big speaker performance

Radford Tristars - one of my favourites again a tad on the larger side but with even bigger speaker performance

KEF 101 think LS35A with balls one of my favourite small loudspeakers

Celef Monitors (became Proac) often found on ebay for less than a couple of hundred quid

Systym 935 - two pairs on ebay at the mo - were a £500 new speaker nearly 20 years ago .. magical small loudspeaker for less than a couple of hundred quid

Acoustic Energy AE1 - the fit in with the KEF 101 size wise and are fairly unique sound wise

Proac models - nuff said 

Spendor S3 5 and earlier bookshelf monitors (no better than the Systym 935 to my ears but they are my ears) 

Totem bookhelfs - nuff said 

the list goes on and on .. my reasons for the above far below the budget you have set is they have the performance and will allow you more dosh to spend on amp and source to realise the potential.

Good luck in your quest 

Posted (edited)

Kef LS50 2nd hand are amazing value and an absolute no brainer, they need a bit of room to breathe mind... Monitor Audio and Dali make v nice cheap standmount speakers if you want brand new.

Edited by knaithrover
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I would push one of my favourite sub-£500 standmounted speaker: Usher S520. Although WHFI only gave them 3 stars when I heard them with an Arcam A18, they were cracking for the price.

They came in some weird colours, aside from traditional wood grain and black: Ferrari Red, migraine yellow....

Edited by plasticpenguin