The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Paulssurround

Throw Away Your Ethernet Cables And Audition Some Cat8 Ethernet Cables?

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, SSTOCK said:

Interesting, so I feel sorry for those who rush to spend their well-earned money on something that potentially makes their system sound not better, or even sound worse.

How might it sound worse?  Surely, if your position is you can’t make it better with different Ethernet cables then you can’t do the opposite either, unless it fails entirely?

3 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

How might it sound worse?  Surely, if your position is you can’t make it better with different Ethernet cables then you can’t do the opposite either, unless it fails entirely?

Because I think I see some boutique Ethernet cables having some metal plates around the connectors, which can introduce some earthing issues.

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, SSTOCK said:

Because I think I see some boutique Ethernet cables having some metal plates around the connectors, which can introduce some earthing issues.

Ok, well I know what bad earth sounds like in analogue.  What does it sound like in digital?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Ok, well I know what bad earth sounds like in analogue.  What does it sound like in digital?

Bad earth makes the circuit more vulnerable to lower frequencies than it would be otherwise, and you must also consider the RF interference, creating tons of EMI.

Edited by SSTOCK

Super Wammer
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, SSTOCK said:

Bad earth makes the circuit more vulnerable to lower frequencies than it would be otherwise, and you must also consider the RF interference.

I’m still no clearer on the symptoms, but I appreciate you trying to explain. 

Edited by Nopiano

Please try it yourself, I did that, found it the hard way.

Posted (edited)
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 02:16, Manelus said:

I have been using a 17 meters CAT 7 from Router to Klimax DS Katalist for the last 3-4 years.

Now I was planning to replace it with a new Wireworld Chroma Cat.8 (not yet ordered), but that "earth loop" thing has stopped me from ordering it.

Question is:

A.- Keep my current CAT 7?

B.- Replace it with Meincord?

C.- Go ahead with Wireworld Chroma?

Please help me on that decision, after reading these 75 pages my ideas are not yet clear O.o

This weekend I had a Chroma and Starlight on test. Imo the Starlight is considerably better and well worth the upgrade from Chroma.

Do the test yourself before ordering.

I was sceptical because they share many design details (in fact the only difference is  ofc vs silver plated ofc conductors)

Starlight is way more reveiling and enjoyable to listen to. But listen for yourself to both. I am sure you will notice the difference (ease of flow, softness, microdynamics, … etc) too very quickly.

Edited by Lorre

Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, Lorre said:

This weekend I had a Chroma and Starlight on test. Imo the Starlight is considerably better and well worth the upgrade from Chroma.

I was sceptical because they share many design details (in fact the only difference is  ofc vs silver plated ofc conductors)

Starlight is way more reveiling and enjoyable to listen to. But listen for yourself to both. I am sure you will notice the difference (ease of flow, softness, microdynamics, … etc) too very quickly.

Can you say how Silver plating a cable that carries a digital signal could impart analogue sound characteristics, such as those you describe?

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lorre said:

Same question to you as Nopiano's -

"Can you say how Silver plating a cable that carries a digital signal could impart analogue sound characteristics, such as those you describe?"

Also you connect your ADSM via a homeplug? That explains why you can hear the differences from different Ethernet cables!

I would fix your "fundamental" streaming issue first before spending your hard earned cash on some exotic Ethernet cables?

Google is your friend in finding why/how homeplug is bad for your audio streaming.

Edited by SSTOCK
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, timster said:

We're not talking about what goes into the DAC or what goes on within it. We're talking about what happens way upstream from there. I don't know why you brought the DAC into an argument about ethernet and network noise.

Like I said, the thread is too big to fully follow, so apologies if I misunderstood, but I thought the conversation was about the potential impact of Ethernet cables on the sound output of a streamer? 

When we use a streamer we are hearing what comes out of the DAC and nothing else (other than noise imparted by the electronics between the DAC and the analogue output of the streamer, hopefully the minimum possible) so surely what happens in the DAC is exactly what we're talking about? 

Who cares what noise is conducted by the Ethernet cables if it has no effect on the output of the DAC? 

The question surely is what gets into the DAC from the networking cables and how/whether the DAC deals with it?

Edited by Solanum

2 hours ago, Solanum said:

The question surely is what gets into the DAC from the networking cables and how/whether the DAC deals with it?

There are other things before the DAC though aren't there. The network card itself for instance, the DSM main boards etc. In my system the DACs aren't even in the DSM. And my point about the Katalyst claims Linn make only refer to the reference voltage and output. Not the data itself.

5 hours ago, timster said:

There are other things before the DAC though aren't there. The network card itself for instance, the DSM main boards etc. In my system the DACs aren't even in the DSM. And my point about the Katalyst claims Linn make only refer to the reference voltage and output. Not the data itself.

Same set-up as you.  Yes, of course you are right and there are other components in line, but again, the conversation (to the best of my understanding) was about the impact of ethernet cables and the noise they potentially conduct forward.

As far as I am aware the point about the power supplies to the DAC, is exactly to minimise noise transmitted into the analogue output, the data is data.... it doesn't have noise.

I think I must be missing the point somewhere, sorry!

Interesting question for all the experts?

If bits are bits, why does a Majik DS/DSM sound different from a Selekt DSM, Akurate DSM and Klimax DSM?

30 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

If bits are bits, why does a Majik DS/DSM sound different from a Selekt DSM, Akurate DSM and Klimax DSM?

Good question ! and why even in Exakt mode … !

Super Dealer
34 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

First you have to determine if they are different.

Keith