AntA

Guilty Pleasure.....Music

My guilty pleasure is the wonderful T-Rex, I am only allowed to play in the car.....  my other halfes guilty pleasure amongst her Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa albums also lurks a few Adam and the Ants albums. I actually took her to a concert and felt very conscious that we didn’t have a couple of 13 year olds screaming teenagers accompanying us !!

7 minutes ago, Fantasque said:

My guilty pleasure is the wonderful T-Rex, I am only allowed to play in the car.....  my other halfes guilty pleasure amongst her Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa albums also lurks a few Adam and the Ants albums. I actually took her to a concert and felt very conscious that we didn’t have a couple of 13 year olds screaming teenagers accompanying us !!

Nothing to feel guilty about with T Rex they were really groovy baby! I'd love to have seen Adam and the Ants live too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fantasque said:

My guilty pleasure is the wonderful T-Rex,

Yeah that's not a guilty pleasure. They were always hip.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fantasque said:

My guilty pleasure is the wonderful T-Rex

That's not how it works. If you said Theresa May then fair enough... 😁

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ian917 said:

I own, and regularly play, all four Dido albums and I have the new one on pre-order (March 8th).

Thanks for heads up. I like Dido too

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 26/02/2019 at 21:25, AntA said:

Hidden deep away in my man cave away from prying eyes I have, I'm embarrassed to say two Dollar albums, David Cassidy's greatest hits and Adam and the Ants, Kings of the Wild Frontier.

I quite like the Carpenters too.

I feel cleansed now after admitting to my heinous sins.

Do any other Wamers have a musical guilty pleasure they want confess too?

Nowt wrong at all with liking The  Carpenters - Karen Carpenter's voice is splendid.
Dollar & Cassidy records were your sister's? :P

Edited by Von Krolock
  • Like 1

I get the theme of it, but I have absolutely zero guilt about anything in my collection. Some of my LPs are dire, but have great emotional significance. For instance, I bloody hate operettas, but my father adored them and I have three or four treasured LPs that I recall listening to on our Decca radiogram when it was taller than I was. Similarly, there are many things from the 70s in my collection that are hardly the last word in musical sophistication, but that still bring back poignant memories.

As for ABBA and the Carpenters, nothing whatsoever for anyone to feel guilty about. Many well-known musicians have waxed lyrical about BBAs compositions, and the Carpenters sure as hell knew what 'melody' means.

• Like 1

Nowt surprises me here as I have an eclectic collection myself, all pop music: Soul, Funk, Punk, Disco, New Wave, New Romantics and any Electronic 70's/80's, (OMD, Yazoo, Eurythmics, etc.).

I do have a massive soft spot for Donna Summer, (hugely underrated artist), love me a bit of ABBA, Carpenters, Whitney, Gladys, Randy, Kate Bush, George Michael, Lara Fabian, and Kylie.

Odd balls in my collection: Doris Day, Andrews Sisters, Glenn Miller. I have no David Cassidy in my collection though :), and no Heavy Metal either. Don't tend to go much for current music, seem to be stuck in a time warp from 50's to mid-90's.

20 hours ago, DougK said:

Odd balls in my collection: Doris Day, Andrews Sisters, Glenn Miller. 

Glenn Miller = seriously good. In fact all the Big Bands were. There were no rock instruments in the 30s/40s, but the big band leaders got the teens boppin' by almost repurposing the woodwind, brass and string instruments that had been designed really for playing classical music. Genius. My favourites include String of Pearls, In The Mood, Skyliner, among others. I thoroughly hate 'Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree' though, and would happily make it my life's mission to hunt down all remaining 78s of that awful song and smash them up with a sledge hammer.

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, BillShatnersToupee said:

Glenn Miller = seriously good. In fact all the Big Bands were. There were no rock instruments in the 30s/40s, but the big band leaders got the teens boppin' by almost repurposing the woodwind, brass and string instruments that had been designed really for playing classical music. Genius. My favourites include String of Pearls, In The Mood, Skyliner, among others. I thoroughly hate 'Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree' though, and would happily make it my life's mission to hunt down all remaining 78s of that awful song and smash them up with a sledge hammer.

See, I have a hankering for a good quality recording of Glenn Millers work (Best Of?) Something with a bit of ‘punch’, but faithful. Any leads?

19 minutes ago, Old Git said:

See, I have a hankering for a good quality recording of Glenn Millers work (Best Of?) Something with a bit of ‘punch’, but faithful. Any leads?

Syd Lawrence recorded some of the best-sounding authentic covers, but unfortunately CDs and even vinyl versions of the original recordings by the Glenn Miller orchestra are all 'rips' from 78s, because it wasn't recorded on to tape first in those days.

Edited by BillShatnersToupee
typos.
  • Like 2