Rjbell

Many diy speakers at the show? Any Mark audio drivers?

Hello,

I'm new here this is my first post. 

I've not bought any hifi for 20 years so I feel like a newbie. I've been looking into building speakers. I'd love the chance to listen to some diy speakers are there many at the show? The mark audio drivers have caught my eye as a first time builder is anyone taking any speakers with these drivers to the show?

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the Wam. There are at least 5 of us that will be showing DIY speakers of one kind or another. I will have two sets of DIY active speakers, one of which has Alpair 10.3 drive units doing midrange/treble duty. Drop in and have a listen!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony_J said:

Hi and welcome to the Wam. There are at least 5 of us that will be showing DIY speakers of one kind or another. I will have two sets of DIY active speakers, one of which has Alpair 10.3 drive units doing midrange/treble duty. Drop in and have a listen!

Thanks. I'm really happy I've stumbled upon this forum and the annual show sounds right up my street. It's a solitary hobby so i love the idea of enthusiasts show and the bake-offs idea i really hope i can make it up there. I fear my wallets going to be a little lighter by the end of 2019. Like you I'm also into photography another solitary expensive hobby. What is it with hifi fans also being into photography? I come across it all the time!

• Upvote 1

I'll be showing a pair of CAOW1 speakers that a friend built for me out of sheets of Corian -> http://teribil-audio.com/2018/06/caow1-speakers/

You need to talk to @orangeart (Stefan) about the Mark Audio drivers.

• Like 2

Super Wammer

I would never claim my speakers as DIY but then again they are not stock anymore . Maybe a listen will give you the idea of just changing existing designs that already sound good in to something that sounds even better .

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Firstly welcome to the WAM, and please do come to the show, you will have a blast!

I'll be showing some 2 way DIY speakers (possibly 3way, but unlikely now :( ) which will be run with an active crossover. Pop in and say hi :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, greybeard said:

Firstly welcome to the WAM, and please do come to the show, you will have a blast!

I'll be showing some 2 way DIY speakers (possibly 3way, but unlikely now :( ) which will be run with an active crossover. Pop in and say hi :)

I'm going to try and get up there. Its a bit of a trek from Cardiff on my own but I'm sure there are others travelling further.

Super Wammer
30 minutes ago, Rjbell said:

I'm going to try and get up there. Its a bit of a trek from Cardiff on my own but I'm sure there are others travelling further.

Yes, me, Tony and Ed, Richard from the Guernsey, or was it Jersey :) , so yes, please try to get there, I notice 2 rooms are left for non exhibitors so come up and stay over on the Saturday night, as a lot of the rooms are open then too, so as the exhibitors get a chance to hear some of the other systems.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hi Rjbell and welcome.

If your driving from Cardiff, why don't you start a post for a car share from your area or areas on your way there. Then you can share fuel costs or at least have company. :D

• Upvote 1

Hi @Rjbell I'm the Mark audio distibutor. I don't actually attend as a dealer as I just see it as a weekend for kicking back. I share a room with a mate who has some other DIY speakers - Ergo IX  - last year I did bring my little Frugel-horn Lites speakers though and can do again this year. We can pop then on for a brief listen. There are normally a few rooms with drivers I've sold in them.

Stefsn

• Upvote 1

Yet to finally confirm but I might be bringing my Jon Espley built Matteis Transmission Line speakers with Jordan JX92S drivers.

Edited by Lawrence001
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1