Sign in to follow this  
silkie

Oddball NAS: DLNA Servers for FreeBSD

Right, this is one for the computer nerds, firstly I've read https://www.linn.co.uk/software

Now, do any of you guys use FreeBSD as a NAS? I've recently bought a Sneaky DS and I'm serving it's uPnP content via a server called Serviio. Everything works, audibly at least but the low res album art really grates on me. Now here's the rub, I've had this FreeBSD NAS for about 14 years. This is the first time I've come across a use-case for Linux that FreeBSD hasn't be able to accommodate in all that time. I've read that "modern" uPnP servers, or at least all that Linn recommend employ Open Home extensions to the DLNA standards. I think that's my problem, that Open Home compliant DLNA servers haven't made it to FreeBSD just yet. I have a couple of options for crow-baring asset or minim onto FreeBSD but just wondered if anyone has felt this pain before I dive into dark places trying to get this stuff working.

My dark places...

http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=2891 or https://www.sisyphus.de/blog/2014/05/12/asset-upnp-on-freebsd/

There is a tutorial on installing MinimServer (one of the best audio server applications) on FreeBSD on this thread on the MinimServer forum.

David

Thanks David, I had spotted that thread and linked to it in my post. It looks like a bit of a pain to get installed. I'll play with the Windows minimServer to evaluate before getting stuck in. So it seems that Open Home (ohNet) is a Linn developed extension to uPnP, interesting to say the least. Just proves that reference uPnP was a bit naff I suppose. I hope it takes off in the Open Source world. ohNet isn't available in the FreeBSD ports collection. I might see if I can help out fixing that however the ohNet forums seem closed and point to the old Linn forums that have closed. Getting hold of a dev could be a problem. A problem for another day.

1 hour ago, silkie said:

Everything works, audibly at least but the low res album art really grates on me.

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs ... Did you see ... https://www.serviio.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24212

• Like 1

You're absolutely not. Thanks for the tip! Yet more reading :)

1 hour ago, silkie said:

I'll play with the Windows minimServer to evaluate before getting stuck in.

Good plan. And you will have seen that there is plenty of help on the MinimServer forum.

1 hour ago, silkie said:

So it seems that Open Home (ohNet) is a Linn developed extension to uPnP, interesting to say the least. Just proves that reference uPnP was a bit naff I suppose.

Actually, OpenHome is not that different from standard UPnP AV (aka DLNA) at the server end; Asset UPnP and MinimServer are both compatible with both protocols. The main difference, from the user perspective, is in the interaction between the control point and the player/renderer. With UPnP, the playlist and some of the control functionality reside in the control point. This means that the control point has to be active all the time the player is operating, and also that you cannot switch on the fly between control points on different devices. The standard manufacturer workaround for this behaviour is to build both the control point and the renderer into the same device (often with a small, eye-straining screen), and then have the use the IR remote to work the device. Linn's OpenHome solution is to house the master playlist and all the transport functionality in the DS/DSM, and to have  synchronised copie of the playlist (and current information on volume timing and transport status on the control point(s) for the user to see and use. This allows play to continue without an active control point, and also allows users to switch seamlessly between different control points. The downside to this very useful functionality is that it places greater demands on the network, and it can break if, for example, the device discovery settings on the router are a bit iffy.

David

• Like 1

David thanks for the explanation around ohNet. I have however managed to get Serviio to render HD thumbnails thanks to FearOfMusic's post and they show up in Kazoo just perfectly. Almost certain this will nuke other DLNA renderers in the house though! :) Kazooing from multiple devices seems in be sync to boot! I'm a happy camper for now. Thanks for your assistance gents. Should I find another limitation I'll be sure to give minim a wiz.

Edited by silkie

1 hour ago, silkie said:

Should I find another limitation I'll be sure to give minim a wiz.

If it works for you, just don't fix it. But it is usually possible to have multiple servers coexisting on the same network. I have MinimServer running on both my NAS boxes without problems. If they are not too resource-hungry, servers can sometimes even  coexist on the same device.

David

• Like 1

I found another limitation of serviio (skipped files during indexing), so as I said I gave minim a wiz.

I built CentOS 7 in a VMware Virtual Machine and ran it in there with an nfs mount to the music files running on zfs on FreeBSD. The VM is housed on it's own 24/7 server running various other workloads. If I was feeling fruity I should have created a CentOS docker container native on the FreeBSD server but IT as with HiFi can be a black hole for time! A VM was the faster solution.

It's funny how all these uPnP servers present the music collection in very different ways. Serviio file organisation was cleaner and managed a "last added" view. Something I will miss in minim, I understand it's on their road map.

All in all though, seems to work just fine.

2 hours ago, silkie said:

It's funny how all these uPnP servers present the music collection in very different ways. Serviio file organisation was cleaner and managed a "last added" view. Something I will miss in minim, I understand it's on their road map.

Sadly, it's been on the road map for a very long time. The coding workload is, I suspect, not trivial.

While I agree generally with what you say about server presentation, it is worth pointing out that MinimServer is designed to be something of a chameleon, in two ways. Firstly, you can control which tags are indexed, and therefore feed into the menu structure. Secondly, the structure itself is dynamic; it adapts to the sequence of filters the user puts in place by making menu selections. That works with all control points. So one MinimServer-based system could look very different to another.

David

Sign in to follow this