Redtube

Audio innovations Series 500 Amp

lf l ever had the time/Wonga l would love to get one of these tricked up and pimped up.... not many amps out there ass musical as this one.:geek::)

Now I know where to come when things need doing, a fascinating inside into exotic amps, thank you. 

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, Redtube said:

Hey thank you for reply, any idea how to get in touch with David Wright?

http://simonmearsaudio.com/

Try via Simon who I think uses his amp with his gorgeous speakersf-5.jpg

if not https://adaudioconsultants.wordpress.com 

have been around for a while and have a good reputation. Guy at Pure Sound will give unbiased advice as to where your money should go as he was part of the original  design team.

Super Wammer
9 hours ago, Redtube said:

Hey thank you for reply, any idea how to get in touch with David Wright?

David Wright is retired now but I have his email and phone number and he may be happy to give advice. PM me if you would like details. 

On 22/02/2019 at 19:22, Fourlegs said:

David Wright is retired now but I have his email and phone number and he may be happy to give advice. PM me if you would like details. 

Thank you, but how to PM, not sure, please explain, thanks again.

Super Wammer
57 minutes ago, Redtube said:

Thank you, but how to PM, not sure, please explain, thanks again.

Click on my name, ie 'Fourlegs', and a window should open with my profile and a rectangular button to click on saying "Message".

As Juancho mentions there are obviously a good many of these amps still in active service. It was a successful model at the time offering something different in the mid range market dominated by transistors and a dearth of sensitive speakers. The fact that they still more than hold there own musically means that many have kept theirs maintained and running.

I have had mine for more than 25 years, even the last manufactured ones are at least this age so regular servicing is a must. David Wright was the go to man until he retired but as you can see Juancho    (Also David) at AD Audio has now been seeing a lot of these, mine included. He has his own take on the upgrades possible and is a pleasure to deal with.

The Border Patrol choke supply was traditionally the most significant upgrade and mine has one of the first done in the UK, but the price is now prohibitive even though the gains in grip and control are significant. If David (Juancho) is now offering a variation on this at a cost better aligned to the value of the amp then that might be a route that many users would want to consider seriously.

David Wright tended to recommend 5881 valves in this amp for reliability, failures with EL34’s were common and I have had a couple go on me in the past. However, I do think that the production quality of new valves has improved - particularly compared to the 90’s. I am considering new valves myself so this discussion is interesting. My word of caution would be to look for user feedback on reliability of the versions you are considering, these amps work the output valves hard.

Super Wammer

When I sold my Audio Innovations Second Audios I kept the Border Patrol pair of power supplies (the later upgraded versions) for when I next have a valve amp. I agree about the significant affect they had on AI amplifiers. 

I thought to let everyone know, that following the advice given by all, and after getting in touch with David Wright, I have decided to go with a set of JJ 5881, and compare these to my NOS GEC 6CA7, the smaller tubes will be kept as are for the time, so I can get a reasonably meaningful comparison, and go from there, I also have a set of PSvane EL34, and Shuguang EL34, and will try those also, I do hope to like the 5881, will let you know what I think, thanks again.

Posted (edited)

I should be collecting my AI500 from AD Audio ( David ) soon after best part of £400 on new bits / better bits :D

Redtube , Please dont Google redtube whatever you do :doh:

Edited by Audio Al

43 minutes ago, Redtube said:

I thought to let everyone know, that following the advice given by all, and after getting in touch with David Wright, I have decided to go with a set of JJ 5881, and compare these to my NOS GEC 6CA7, the smaller tubes will be kept as are for the time, so I can get a reasonably meaningful comparison, and go from there, I also have a set of PSvane EL34, and Shuguang EL34, and will try those also, I do hope to like the 5881, will let you know what I think, thanks again.

Please keep us informed on your thoughts on the various valve options you have to try.  When i used 5881's - which was 10+ years ago - I found them smooth but a little dark and I missed the punch of the EL34 (they do reduce the power output by a few watts which may be partly influential).  My system has changed since then so I am open to trying again.