Sign in to follow this  
Bigwig07

Roksan Caspian M2 Amp Power Hum

I have the above amp, and I get a low level power hum from it which is annoying / worrying. Its so low level that you don't notice it unless you stand by it. The hum is heard when the amp is in standby and powered up, but not affected by volume.

Is this normal, or likely to be a grounding issue needing repair ? (I am out of warranty unfortunately)

Super Wammer

Is this a mechanical hum, or through the loudspeakers? 

If mechanical, then it might be that the transformer isn’t secured quite as tight as it should be, or possibly that your mains is ‘dirty’ and it is reacting to this.  Is it louder or quieter at different times of the day?  

4 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Is this a mechanical hum, or through the loudspeakers? 

If mechanical, then it might be that the transformer isn’t secured quite as tight as it should be, or possibly that your mains is ‘dirty’ and it is reacting to this.  Is it louder or quieter at different times of the day?  

Mechanical - from the amp itself. 

I don't think its the mains as my other kit works fine. Is it possible to resecure the transformer ?

Super Wammer
Just now, Bigwig07 said:

Mechanical - from the amp itself. 

I don't think its the mains as my other kit works fine. Is it possible to resecure the transformer ?

I’m not familiar with the insides, but there is typically a bolt (or several).  It may not need to be ‘as tight as possible’ either, especially if it sits on some sort of insulating washer or mount.  We might be better waiting for an expert to read this, or for you give Roksan a ring.  It might even be a known fault they can fix.  

Dirty mains can definitely ‘excite’ an amp but not any other source.  It has probably the most powerful transformer of all your gear.  I once had a Musical Fidelity power amp which would buzz when our coffee machine was on, and occasionally had fits of buzzing.  Everything else was dead quiet.  

Super Wammer

I’ve just googled some images of your integrated amp, and there seem to be two transformers.  Without more homework I’m assuming the larger one is for the power section, and the smaller for the preamp.  I suspect the larger one is the culprit, and as a toroidal design it has one visible fastening nut. 

With the power disconnected and left for a few hours, you could remove the cover to see if anything is loose. But only if you’re confident!

9 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I’ve just googled some images of your integrated amp, and there seem to be two transformers.  Without more homework I’m assuming the larger one is for the power section, and the smaller for the preamp.  I suspect the larger one is the culprit, and as a toroidal design it has one visible fastening nut. 

With the power disconnected and left for a few hours, you could remove the cover to see if anything is loose. But only if you’re confident!

Great thanks, I'll give it a try - I'll probably wear rubber gloves !

Super Wammer
28 minutes ago, Bigwig07 said:

Great thanks, I'll give it a try - I'll probably wear rubber gloves !

Good luck, and give them a call first.  They might say it’s a known issue and offer a free replacement!

https://www.roksan.com/en/support/contact-us/

20 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Good luck, and give them a call first.  They might say it’s a known issue and offer a free replacement!

https://www.roksan.com/en/support/contact-us/

Thanks - I wonder if the transformer bolt should be tightened to a recommended torque ?

Super Wammer

Something else to ask!