Sign in to follow this  
newlash09

PS audio PS1200 power regenerator

Hi all..

Good evening. 

I have been having power problems at home, which also led to a blown Devialet amp. So was seriously considering some kind of power protection for all my gear, without degrading audio quality.  As an experimentation I got a 500Va CVT + 500Va ultra isolation transformer. I was only using these for the sources, upto the preamp. Though the power amp was still running directly on the mains. 

This led to a real drop in noise levels and I got darker back grounds. I was so impressed with the improvements, that I was considering adding a larger higher capacity CVT + isolation transformer to even support the power amp. But the CVT hum really worried me, so I decided against it. 

As luck would have it, I got offered a used PS audio PS1200 power regenerator along with triode labs power cables and furutech's wall sockets. So I bit the bullet. And the stuff arrived yesterday. 

This thing weighs a good 76 kgs, and took 2 fit adults to sweat and cuss to get into position. It is big  and almost 2 feet deep and runs real hot. It is actually their first gen product and converts a incoming Ac to DC and again Dc to Ac. This is akin to a class A power amp of 1200w, and is not very effeceint.

Now my entire system is running off the power regenerator now . Below is the list of equipment connected to it so far :

1) Krell power amp

2) AMR dac cum pre amp

3) Metrum Ambre roon end point 

And I have my source components running off a Isotek Evo 3 Polaris, and all with their own LPSU in place of the SMPS power supplies that came standard with them. Below is the list of components connected in this chain :

1) Nas

2) WiFi router

3) Headless pc as roon core

Once I started playing this system, there was an astonishing drop in noise levels again. In fact there is absolutely no noise apart from music to speak of. The silent passages of music are utter black and quiet. Iam very impressed with it so far. So if someone is interested please try one. Pure power does make a difference. 

And just for reference, the PS1200 has a digital display which shows the watts being output in real time. When I switch on the pre amp and the roon end point, it just shows zero. When I switch on the class A krell power amp, it shows 540 watts to start with. But in about 2 minutes, this drops to 320 watts, once the krell's capacitors have been charged. No amount of bass belting at insane volumes has moved the displayed output to more than. 500W. And since this is rated for a continuous output of 1200W, iam confident it could run more setups entirely on pure Sine wave clean power.

Thanks for reading :)

• Like 2

Nice! Very interesting to read. Congrats. 

17 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

This thing weighs a good 76 kgs, and took 2 fit adults to sweat and cuss to get into position. It is big  and almost 2 feet deep and runs real hot

Is this from 50 Shades... for audiophiles... 😂

• Haha 1

Just now, insider9 said:

Nice! Very interesting to read. Congrats. 

Is this from 50 Shades... for audiophiles... 😂

Haha...thanks a lot Insider9...I guess it is so. I told my wife that I got it on loan from a friend and will return back soon. She is very upset with the size of thing. The room is almost full now. And for the first time since getting into this hobby, I feel that I don't need to even change a screw anywhere. 

But as you are aware, iam still having night marish room acoustic problems. Already blew my entire budget away with the recent addition of the AMR, krell, Metrum, Isotek power filter and power cables and PS audio now. Iam staring down the barrel of bankruptcy at the moment :)

So will have to make a living on bread and beer for sometime to come, before I can spring for room treatment. But that will be next thing inline. Thanks 

2 hours ago, newlash09 said:

So will have to make a living on bread and beer

As long as there's money for beer you're alright :D

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, insider9 said:

As long as there's money for beer you're alright :D

Barely there insider9 :D

• Like 1