Sign in to follow this  
plasticpenguin

What PC?

After having my PC checked for any spams, although clear, they have suggested I need to update it. It's a Dell Vostro 200 which we've had for about 10 years. 

As the WHFI boys will tell you I am rubbish when it comes to PCs or any techie stuff. These are my requirements:

1 TB hard drive; 4 or above MB RAM. Needs to be responsive. Would prefer a laptop but need to connect the HP printer. Hoping this can be done wireless. Need it for work and pleasure but not gaming.

Budget? As little as possible. I've had a look at a few:

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0503sa-15-6-intel-celeron-laptop-1-tb-hdd-grey-10180949-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-5000-15-6-intel-pentium-gold-laptop-1-tb-hdd-black-10169754-pdt.html

I would honestly say you need to be speing a bit more. If you want responsive you would be better looking for something with a ssd drive, much faster to boot and load software. Either something with ssd and sata, or a smaller ssd and usb for storage.

maybe something like this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-legion-y530-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182137-pdt.html

well above the price of the two you linked to, but I doubt if they are going to feel any quicker than your current dell. If your printer currently works wirelessly then it still should.

It depends what you use it for- my dad has one.

the pro's quick, light, prices to suit

the cons next to bugger all storage everything is stored in the cloud, so no internet access - no storage

software is restricted to whatever chrome decide you can have, you need to work out if it will do what you want it to. Its fine for web browsing, e mail and a bit of basic word processing spreadsheet stuff, (but remember all your files are stored at the other end of the internet connection. If you could manage your computing needs on a pad, then it will b OK, personally it would not work for me. The software choice is too restrictive. 

Given how  use a PC, I would go for a laptop with a small SSD drive and either a USB Drive, NA in the house, or MS one drive or whatever they call in now over a chrome book, I am sure someone who uses chrome more than I have could come up with some solution based on one.

Get a Lenovo from their website. Uses Quidco and you can get a decent laptop for under £300. Only thing I would advise is getting one with the biggest screen you can afford.

Buy the fastest, and the bestest that you can afford. It will benefit you. Buy something with SSD (for the OS) and a built-in HD too. Get more RAM separately (it’s cheap and very easy to fit yourself). 16GB should be fine.

Get something with a decent level of the manufacturer’s own cover (4 - 5 years). We have always done this with our Dell machines and they always honoured their ‘next business day’ callout (with a local engineer who would call the day before to arrange a mutually acceptable time). All for a fixed, one-off sum on purchase.

Don’t skimp or get talked into any expensive Currys / PC world cover agreements (3rd party insurance policies that you pay a monthly fortune for and never seem to result in anyone to fix things when you need them!)

Edited by chebby

Go in to a local CEX store, plenty of people buy tech and sell it on when desperate for cash. Plenty of good used laptops in great condition, not the cheapest out there but a bricks and mortar store with a two year guarantee on it breaking down and an exchange policy if you don't like the item you've purchased.

Just be aware some of the stores have lots of youngsters working there and their taste in music they blast out from the counter can be dubious... :D

A bit off the wall suggestion maybe, way better than Currys in my honest opinion.

Otherwise John Lewis sell off returned stock which is checked before re-sale, some billy bargain stuff to be had and the staff normally know what they are talking about, unlike the numpties I find at Currys. Apologies to anyone who does know someone who works at Currys...

:^