parcelmonkey

FOR SALE - MARANTZ PM4 Integrated Class A Amp

£450.00 - Strictly no offers thanks.

Selling as an imminent house move requires me to cut back on my Hi-Fi.

Legendary amp which has a giant killing sound.

I purchased this back in the Summer of 2017 and it needed tlc to the top cover.

I stripped the cover off & had it powder coated in a matt black leatherette finish. Looks stunning to the naked eye! Amp is in very good condition but not mint, considering its age. Inspection of components didn't show anything to be of concern and all switches and dials work without issue or noise.

x20MvPa.jpg
OqbmwAA.jpg
x7YbiiZ.jpg
OLXobkc.jpg
6NeYB8h.jpg
66i3Gan.jpg
MkTxB5J.jpg

Located in Dover, Kent... Come have a listen. If you want this posted, at your risk and I'll need to find suitable packaging. I'm willing to try & meet up to make life easier.

Thanks, Ade

These are a real bargain. My PM-4 went up against my rather decent Pre and Class A power amp and has stayed in my rack.

In Class A mode, a genuine giant killer.

Damned good MM / MC Phono stage too.

They will only keep increasing in value.

1 minute ago, macvisual said:

Is the PM-4 a valve integrated can I ask?

Peter

No Peter,

A well regarded solid state Class A amp. Google will help with specs etc. as my knowledge level has now been reached... :D

No Peter, no valves but a genuine Class A mode.

Cheers.......so what's the watts output does anyone know? Selecting the 'Class A' button I'm guessing lowers the power output?

31 minutes ago, macvisual said:

Cheers.......so what's the watts output does anyone know? Selecting the 'Class A' button I'm guessing lowers the power output?

Try this Peter...

http://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/?KW=Marantz+PM-4&G=1&LNG=E&O=20&L=10&C=09-44595-24695-00

60W Class AB & 15 Watts Class A each side.

My Vitus runs at 25Watts Class A  and will without trouble achieve 115db at the listening position although I rarely will do that now as ears are not happy!

The Marantz runs my Neat Momentum 4i Speakers which are Isobarik Bass without problems at all, keeps the bass under control too.

Marantz had a technique called  "Quarter A", where bias current was adjusted such that  Class A power reached 25% of maximum power output. In a 100 Watt amp, that means the amplifier deliver the first 25 Watts in Class A. I don't know whether this is part of that technology. 

By coincidence I ordered a Marantz Quarter A amp on ebay today -- it's on a "30 day return"

I would be very happy to take this one if I could hear it in my system before committing --  parcelmonkey please PM me if that arrangement suits you -- I'm in London. 

Edited by Howard

15 minutes ago, Howard said:

parcelmonkey please PM me if that arrangement suits you -- I'm in London. 

PM'd...

Would be good to hear this amp before purchase but impossible as I'm in Scotland etc... I'm sure this won't sit about too long. 

Just bought one of these.

Very happy with it.

Definitely a keeper.

8 hours ago, nut said:

Definitely a keeper.

Agree, it's a quandary really. For the small money being asked I should really keep it; not using it because I have a different amp & speaker setup means it's a crime not using it and someone else should.

I don't have the room for two setups so unfortunately it has to go. I'll regret doing it, I know...

However, rescuing it from the poor cosmetic condition of the top cover and seeing it looking great & loved means I'm happy to have achieved that...

Silver linings etc...

:^

Super Wammer

Fabulous amp, Ade, great price and hats off to you for the excellent top cover refurb.

You'll be at Kegworth, won't you? A great opportunity for buyer and seller to meet and avoid risk and costs of shipping. Damned sight nearer to many folk than Dover!

6 hours ago, Bourney said:

Does it have speaker connections that take banana plugs? 

It does but they are small and wont take standard sized ones. I'll take another photo tonight & pop it up on the thread...