Bazzer

Buying a Turntable

I'm sprucing up my set up and feel I should get a new turntable , I've researched the things to death and keep coming back to the point , there is nothing wrong with the one I've got . 

The choice today is greater than ever and a lot of manufacturers have many in their line up , what is most important to you when choosing . 

Ease of set up and ease of use for me. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

It’s quite a balance for me, with engineering quality, design, and (obviously) sound quality all very important. 

It's your new turntable  Bazzer so don't be shy.
Decent bass & drive would be a priority.
No belt driven turntable I've owned or heard has really been convincing here - try a DD or idler.

Edited by Von Krolock

If there's nothing wrong with playing your record collection from what you already have then perhaps a better way to scratch your itch, rather than looking at what's on offer from manufacturers' current line-ups, would be to find and restore a beautiful-looking, vintage classic that's become a 'legend' but is in need of a little TLC or can otherwise be improved?

Super Wammer

If you are happy with your current TT then I am not sure why you say you should change it Bazzer. If it is good enough to show improvements by upgrading your tonearm, cartridge or phono stage then changes there would probably reap greater rewards I would have thought.

• Like 1

SQ, followed in equal measure by ease of set-up, ease of use and reliability and always DD or Idler.

2 hours ago, Speedracer said:

If you are happy with your current TT then I am not sure why you say you should change it Bazzer. If it is good enough to show improvements by upgrading your tonearm, cartridge or phono stage then changes there would probably reap greater rewards I would have thought.

Far too sensible a post , totally right of course .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Von Krolock said:

DD or idler.

1 hour ago, Idlewithnodrive said:

DD or Idler.

Whats on the market new and S/H .

1 minute ago, Bazzer said:

Whats on the market new and S/H .

Depending on budget, out of personal experience, I would suggest looking at a Technics SP-10 (I would say that :) ) or Garrard 401 (my last TT).

Both capable of excellent performance, with a knowledgeable support network. Easy to set up and use.

The new SL-1210 is also highly rated and you would of course also get the piece of mind of a guarantee etc.

• Like 1

If you still have the system deck and RB250 I think you are going to struggle to better it at sensible money. If the 250 still has the threaded plastic stub, I would have a word with audio origami about a rewire, and one of his weights. Or just put a techno weight on it yourself. Brings a improvement in sound, and ease of use.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

If you still have the system deck and RB250 I think you are going to struggle to better it at sensible money. If the 250 still has the threaded plastic stub, I would have a word with audio origami about a rewire, and one of his weights. Or just put a techno weight on it yourself. Brings a improvement in sound, and ease of use.

I agree entirely with this, too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dudywoxer said:

Yes I do and yes I have realised that . I have just had a clearout of all unnecessary gear to raise money for my new amp , part of the sales were a counterweight and speed controller thinking I'd change the T/T next :doh: .