TheFlash

M1 J24 signage for Kegworth

Super Wammer

Peter @HiFiWigwam and fellow wammers,

It's good to see the Wam HiFi Show website up and running.

Against "Directions" it says the roadworks are now complete. This is true but, for those who actually want to go to Kegworth rather than bypass it, the signage on the approach to J24 leaves a lot to be desired - certainly from the A50 and possibly from the M1. Maybe poor/late signage is a cunning ploy to reduce even further the traffic going through the village! I drive through that junction every 3-4 weeks; I used the bypass once and it feels like a massive detour. On my return journey I drove through Kegworth and will continue do so; I suspect other "regulars" might well do the same.

Kegworth is (was?) on the A6 so in the old days you could just follow signs for A6/Loughborough - clearly marked on the approach to the roundabout - but doing so today will take you onto the Kegworth bypass. You need to start off doing this but watch out for a late sign to Kegworth itself.

I doubt it but the signage may have been improved. Just thought I'd share in case it hasn't.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer

The entrance to the hotel car park is at what3words   ///kitten.campsites.mothering

That should keep you occupied for a bit :D

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Ed Howarth said:

The entrance to the hotel car park is at what3words   ///kitten.campsites.mothering

That should keep you occupied for a bit :D

No-one in their right mind would type in a URL like that...

Would typing in Derby Rd Kegworth in to ones satnav instead of the postcode alleviate the Bypass issue?

Edited by parcelmonkey

Super Wammer
8 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

Would typing in Derby Rd Kegworth in to ones satnav instead of the postcode alleviate the Bypass issue?

Yes...

1) if you have a satnav and it is bang up to date; if not, you might end up in the wrong lane on the roundabout and have to cut across sharpish. Most folk I know do check the roadsigns for confirmation, and approaching from the A50 there weren't any two weeks ago.

2) Packington Hill is even better as that is the road the hotel entrance is on. Derby Road will send you sailing past.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

See you there!

33 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

No-one in their right mind would type in a URL like that...

Errrr...not a URL...:geek:

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

Errrr...not a URL...:geek:

Indeed. I was both being gentle to young Ed and pointing out the trouble you can get into if you start looking at kittens and mothering on the interweb. Someone told me...:minikev:

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

Okay despite the thousands of miles I have driven in another life (Sales Manager for a Shipping Line) I have never owned a Sat Nav and my current car still does not have one . I do recall that last year there was lots of consruction work on the turn off from the A50 and i did do a rather round about drive before i found the hotle by chance.

So if anyone can give me clear instructions of how I get to the hotel in the most direct way once I get to the large roundabout at the end of the A 50 Derby section I would be grateful . I know myself and I will still get lost but having clearer idea of where I want to be will help .

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

....... young Ed......... 

<Splutter>

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, bencat said:

Okay despite the thousands of miles I have driven in another life (Sales Manager for a Shipping Line) I have never owned a Sat Nav and my current car still does not have one . I do recall that last year there was lots of consruction work on the turn off from the A50 and i did do a rather round about drive before i found the hotle by chance.

So if anyone can give me clear instructions of how I get to the hotel in the most direct way once I get to the large roundabout at the end of the A 50 Derby section I would be grateful . I know myself and I will still get lost but having clearer idea of where I want to be will help .

See OP. That’s the best I can without coming to meet you! Stay in the outsidest (!) lane you can without joining M1 North or A453 to Nottingham and just after the A453 you should see “Keg” appearing on the outside lane markings and roadsign. 

Super Wammer
On 14/02/2019 at 19:34, TheFlash said:

Peter @HiFiWigwam and fellow wammers,

It's good to see the Wam HiFi Show website up and running.

Against "Directions" it says the roadworks are now complete. This is true but, for those who actually want to go to Kegworth rather than bypass it, the signage on the approach to J24 leaves a lot to be desired - certainly from the A50 and possibly from the M1. Maybe poor/late signage is a cunning ploy to reduce even further the traffic going through the village! I drive through that junction every 3-4 weeks; I used the bypass once and it feels like a massive detour. On my return journey I drove through Kegworth and will continue do so; I suspect other "regulars" might well do the same.

Kegworth is (was?) on the A6 so in the old days you could just follow signs for A6/Loughborough - clearly marked on the approach to the roundabout - but doing so today will take you onto the Kegworth bypass. You need to start off doing this but watch out for a late sign to Kegworth itself.

I doubt it but the signage may have been improved. Just thought I'd share in case it hasn't.

I passed through the junction & alongside the hotel yesterday......the new Road layout sent my sat nav into an apoplectic fit 🙈

• Haha 2