orbscure

Free image hosting

Super Wammer

I'm out the loop with what's available so that members can add images to their sales threads, so perhaps this can be pinned by a kind mod so that members can post their free image hosting recommendations?

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Imgur.  No, I don't know what it means either. :D

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

You don't need image hosting on the Wam unlike for example the Pink One. You just attach images to your post at the bottom where you can see a paperclip.

Edited by TheFlash

Super Wammer

Didn't know that.

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, Ed Howarth said:

Didn't know that.

But did you notice the paperclip when you posted that? ;)

Super Wammer
25 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

But did you notice the paperclip when you posted that? ;)

That one?

\/

\/

\/

\/           :D

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Ed Howarth said:

That one?

\/

\/

\/

\/           :D

Yes!

• Haha 1

Super Wammer

...and while you two play hunt the paperclip xD its worth remembering that not all members are tech-saavy (both with uploading here or resizing their images so they don't use their allowance with one image) so having options for free image hosting may ensure that classified ads here are populated with nice sparkly images of the kit ;) 

Right I'll pin this and when we get some recommendations tidy up the thread .

Or I might do a bit of research tomorrow and post a How To guide .

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ed Howarth said:

Imgur.  No, I don't know what it means either. :D

If you research - You will find it...

4 hours ago, TheFlash said:

You don't need image hosting on the Wam unlike for example the Pink One. You just attach images to your post at the bottom where you can see a paperclip.

A normal non paying account only has 25MB max upload facility, so not for everyone.

Imgur is easy to set up, it's free and doesn't delete your images if they become dormant, unlike others. Pictures stay 'live' until you delete them.

When uploading you have various options, for uploading to a forum like this. I never add images to the NEW POST button on Imgur as these get shared to the community worldwide for 'votes & likes'

See HERE for advice on Post Privacy settings.

Once an account has been set up, just add images from your username drop down menu @ Imgur. You can also organise albums etc if you want to be organised. It's all pretty self explanatory.

For posting pictures to the Wam; click on an image you have uploaded to Imgur if using a desktop / laptop by clicking on the picture you have uploaded. There are tutorials for mobile phones - Android & IOS.

The image will show and there will be lots of different links on the right with blue copy boxes next to them. Then copy the link where it shows: BBCode (message boards & forums) - press the blue button and copy the link. Paste on to your thread and it will show the link which is then shared with anyone who looks at your thread. The link will not show as live, nor will the picture show on your thread, click preview post to make sure it's showing, if it is, click submit reply and you will have an image showing...

Et Voila...

Just added this image from Imgur for effect.

ON62UXP.jpg

Edited by parcelmonkey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer
41 minutes ago, orbscure said:

...and while you two play hunt the paperclip xD its worth remembering that not all members are tech-saavy (both with uploading here or resizing their images so they don't use their allowance with one image) so having options for free image hosting may ensure that classified ads here are populated with nice sparkly images of the kit ;) 

Indeed, but your OP would suggest to some that there is no way to post photos other than to host them somewhere eles, and to the less tech-savvy that can be an even more daunting prospect!

Your point about resizing is an important one. It is straightforward to reduce the image "size" in MB (this doesn't make it smaller as such) by 75% without losing definition. Excuse me for my Applespeak (I was Windows through and through until around five years ago) but your average photo taken on an iPhone 6 (other phones are available: please consult your local representative) might be around 3MB. The limit for any one post is 5MB. Here is a simple how-to guide for Apple users: someone else will be along shortly to provide equally succinct guidance on how to resize an image using Windows something or other.

Apple users: let's say you want to share five images:

• Highlight the five images in Finder and either double-click on them or right-click and select Open (or Open with... Preview if this is not your default viewer).
  • In Preview, click on any image in the left bar and press Cmd-A or from the menu bar select Edit and then Select All.
    • check that all slides in the lefthand bar have a grey outline
  • Click on Tools on the menu bar and then on Adjust Size
    • Ensure the Scale Proportionally box is ticked
  • In the Width box, 100 will be highlighted. Overwrite this with 50
    • This will reduce each selected image to 50% of original in width and height
  • quit Preview
  • now insert images in your post. You should be able to insert 5-6 images no problem.

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, parcelmonkey said:

A normal non paying account only has 2MB, so not for everyone.

Imgur is easy to set up, it's free and doesn't delete your images if they become dormant, unlike others. Pictures stay 'live' until you delete them.

Et Voila...

Forgive me for lauding it as a paying Super Wammer!

Thanks for this, I will look into imgur for other purposes.

In parallel with your post, I posted instructions to help Apple users reduce their image sizes with no (to the human eye) loss of resolution. A typical 3MB image from an iPhone becomes around 750KB so a normal wammer (now there's a concept) should be able to post a couple of images directly into the post. Imgur sounds great for normal and super wammers wishing to post more images than their limit allows. Great stuff.

Edited by TheFlash

2 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Forgive me for lauding it as a paying Super Wammer!

a normal wammer (now there's a concept) should be able to post a couple of images directly into the post.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/store/product/1-super-wammer/

Although they can add a couple of images to their post, as a 'normal' Wammer, once they reach 25MB total uploads their limit is reached, so we return full circle back to free hosting.

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, parcelmonkey said:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/store/product/1-super-wammer/

Although they can add a couple of images to their post, as a 'normal' Wammer, once they reach 25MB total uploads their limit is reached, so we return full circle back to free hosting.

I was merely trying to help the technophobes to whom @orbscure referred. Both direct upload and image hosting are excellent ways of posting images.

Of course if someone loves the Wam enough to sell stuff through it with no fees, they could show their love and upgrade for a mere £20! Selling only one £200 item on eBay will cost you that and by making a financial contribution you reduce the risk of the forum going the same way as some recently deceased others. Just a thought. Extract from your link:

"About Super Wammer

Becoming a Super Wammer gives you access to a whole host of upgrades and discounts that a normal Wammer status does not have.

ONLY £20 a year for all this - save hundreds!!!

MORE IMAGE AND VIDEO HOSTING
200MB more space (Wammer 25MB)"