12 hours ago, DavidHB said:

Not a Renew, you couldn't.

David

Yes, I know. :doh: silly me.

Interesting discussion,  I think it should also be kept in mind,  that all versions of KDS (or renew) sounded great, they just got a bit better with time, so they are all a great listen as they filter down the market.  There are no lemons there. 

• Like 1

Super Wammer
On 16/02/2019 at 11:52, 9designs said:

Interesting discussion,  I think it should also be kept in mind,  that all versions of KDS (or renew) sounded great, they just got a bit better with time, so they are all a great listen as they filter down the market.  There are no lemons there. 

Wasn’t there a thread on the old Linn Forum suggesting that the original Klimax DS suffered from some type of peak level distortion?  Now I’m not sure if that is the same gubbins as a Renew 0 or not, but that’s what I remember.  Happy to be corrected if that’s an inadvertent misrepresentation on my part. 

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

Wasn’t there a thread on the old Linn Forum suggesting that the original Klimax DS suffered from some type of peak level distortion?  Now I’m not sure if that is the same gubbins as a Renew 0 or not, but that’s what I remember.  Happy to be corrected if that’s an inadvertent misrepresentation on my part. 

It was low frequency overload of the output transformers, all later models were fitted with a beefier transformer.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Alex 54 said:

It was low frequency overload of the output transformers, all later models were fitted with a beefier transformer.

Thank you.  (I didn’t even realise it had output transformers!)

54 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Thank you.  (I didn’t even realise it had output transformers!)

I don’t think it affected much - Briain’s a huge fan of reggae and dub, but I as I recall he only had the issue with a couple of tracks, which contained very high levels of very low bass. 

My first Klimax level DS was a renew/0, and even though I’m also a huge reggae fan I encountered no issues. As mentioned higher up this thread, Linn changed the output transformers in the /1 version.

Mick

• Like 1