Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

Sign in to follow this  
bohemian

Foreign films?

I enjoy watching well-made foreign films and am often disappointed by Hollywood attemps at remakes.

The latest are the excellent French film "Untouchable" now remade as "Upside", and the Norwegian film "In Order of Disappearance" now remade as Liam Neeson's latest vehicle. (Can't recall its title)

I am so glad that many foreign films seem to be left alone, especially Jan Švankmajer films, and the wonderful Czech film Pelišky, a coming-of-age film set at the time of the end of Dubček's communist thaw and the Russian invasion.  Also Jean-Pierre Jeunet.  From Amelie to City Of Lost Children via Delicatessen - wonderful films.

Spoorloos (the Vanishing) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096163/ a 1988 Dutch film - excellent, and changed into a vehicle for Jeff Bridges and Kiefer Sutherland (avoid!  Watch the original!)

The Son,  a Belgian/French drama. Excellent, and thankfully not remade by Hollywood!

Pour Elle, remade as The Next Three Days with Russell Crowe - actually not too bad a remake!

Ha-Hov, (The Debt)  an Israeli film about Mossad agents extracting a notorious Nazi war criminal from post-war East Germany then remade at The Debt with Helen Mirren and Tom Wilkinson. OK, but I prefer the original.

Edit: I nearly forgot the great Love Crime with Kristin Scott Thomas.  French film.

Has anyone else any recommendations of foreign films to look out for?

Edited by bohemian
  • Like 1

Great thread Chris , we do seem to brainwashed by the media , there must be tons of great films around we will never know about .

Has anyone seen "Roma" the Oscar nominated Mexican movie?

As Bruno Ganz has died I'll add Wings of Desire to the recommendations , if you haven't seen it.

Very sad loss.  I watched him last night in Kraftidioten. 

Anything by Andrei Tarkovsky.  Stalker is my favourite; Solaris also very good and a million times better than the Hollywood re-make.