Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

Bignose5

Jon Myles review is rubbish again .

Super Wammer

Being able to check what this reviewer claims would be for once very easy for anyone that plays digital music files . If they support this reviewer and his claims then the Magazine should organise a trial as follows.

If as the reviewer claims ripping a file on the D100 is just better than other drives then get a piece of music or and audio recording and rip this from a CD using the D100 then perhaps a stand alone CD Drive such as the Iomega I use , A PC installed CD Drive and to be complete a CD Drive on a Mac Book . To reduce the variables they should all be ripped using the same software (dBPoweramp is good) . All of these files can then be labelled A , B ,C , D etc and placed on a file share so that they could then be downloaded by others .

Each person that downloads listens to all the files and comments , one can they hear any difference ? Two if they do which of the files was best . Given that all the files should be bit perfect copies and only the person that codes them knows the source this would be pretty much a blind listening test and should give clear results if the majority of people can hear any difference at all .

Tempted to just send this as a suggestion to the Magazines contact page but suspect it would not get taken up and the excuse would be copy right issues for the files.

• Like 1

I think the reality here is we are all discussing Mr. Myles’s reviews which we seem to think are poor. Right now the controversy is winning readers and raising rather than diminishing his profile. The OP actually did this reviewer a hell of a favour. Not to mention Melco. 

Super Wammer

Well for better or worse I have sent an e-mail to the letters page high lighting the above and also indicating that I have already tried a test myself using three different Ripping Drives . I have no access to the Melco D100 so that could not be included.

I copied the files to my desk top lettered A , B , C then got my Wife to mix them up without me seeing and keep a note the of the real original order. I then put them without my Wife seeing in my LMS Library as a playlist . I then chose the playlist and selected random play so that it would play them in any order even the same file twice . Hit play and listened to at least six plays . (I could check the history for what file was played after marking my views. I later did the same play with a couple of music loving friends and got the general opinion. Without any surprise to me no one was able to identify any difference with any file that played as nothing was touched or changed after the first play all the tracks would be at the same levesl etc and no one could tell any difference .

Now all I need is to get to hear the same thing with the Melco included. Not sure if Hi Fi World will either answer the e-mail or even possibly publish it but i am not at all confident that they will agree to the test.

On 15/02/2019 at 15:35, Cable Monkey said:

I think the reality here is we are all discussing Mr. Myles’s reviews which we seem to think are poor. Right now the controversy is winning readers and raising rather than diminishing his profile. The OP actually did this reviewer a hell of a favour. Not to mention Melco. 

This is not about Jon Myles per se, but about his reviews (OP clearly states Review is Rubbish). Our aim should surely be to make reviews more useful to consumers. Mr Myles is no doubt a thoroughly decent chap, who will benefit from constructive criticism. If he carries out the tests as @bencat prescribes then this may help. I have an IT background and find it hard to believe two bit identical files could sound different: moreover, I cannot hear a difference, but that may be owing to my ingrained belief that there isn't one. 

Again I have no axe to grind against Melco. I think its selling point should be ease of use (assuming it is easy to use) and build quality. Surely, Melco wouldn't mind somebody revealing it rips as well as a PC running dBPowerAmp (assuming this is the case). Some consumers are happy to pay a premium for not having to drive software or configure anything. On the other other hand, a Mac or PC should do the job equally well and perhaps better. Comments from Mr Myles on the quality of gathered metadata would have been very useful. 

Edited by Nestor Turton

It is virtually impossible to define “useful”. What you might read as subjective fluff will sell units to another sort of person. Numbers are easy for those of us who have lived with them forever. For others they are impenetrable and make no difference when sitting across the room having a look and a listen. There are different types of reviewer, and different types of people, and room enough for us all to share our hobby. I do share your reservations about some of the claims of some reviewers and have a technical background myself (in measurement!). But the thrust of my point was discussing Jon Myles has raised his profile and put the review in question in front of a lot of people who would otherwise not have seen it. They would see that as a win.

I'm with the author of this thread on this one.....

I read Hi-Fi World every month (but only because I have access to a free copy).

This Melco review greatly amused me.  I had to re-read some of it to make sure I wasn't imagining some of the drivel this Myles chappie was coming out with:-

"What came as a real revelation,
though, was ripping CDs through the
D100 and then transferring them to
the N100 via USB.

The air and space that this
opened up in even familiar
recordings was palpable. I was struck
by just how much more vibrant
Charlie Mingus’s bass sounded on
‘Mingus Ah Um’. I could hear the
pluck of every string with a force
that ordinary CD rips do not bring
across.

Jimi Hendrix’s guitar on ‘Hey
Joe’ also had extra bite. It would, of
course, be wrong to say the D100
was adding anything — but it was
certainly eliminating the haziness
that some other rippers can add."

What haziness is that then?

The Melco streamer and CD ripper combo with 2TB HD is the thick end of £3000

I have a Rasperberry Pi / Wolfson Audio Card running SqueezeLite that cost £50 and a reconditioned ex-NHS Windows 7 PC (£50) running Logitech Media Server all linked to a 4TB USB drive (£100).

My £200 worth of equipment has no haziness that I have been able to discern.

I have double the storage capacity, ripping and tagging is easy with EAC and MP3Tag, I have full access to BBC iPlayer at maximum quality (320 Kbps) and the Qobuz integration I require and oh yes I spent less than a 10th of the price of the Melco stuff.

Edited by theadmans