Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

markyboy156

best diy subs to use with this setup

hi

my question is im after buying 2 diy subs
that will compete with the svs pb16 ultra subwoofer
i want them to go down to the same low frequency
for all out bone rattling wall shuddering effect
and want them to perform as good as the svs pb16 ultra subwoofers

but i want them at a lot lower price to pay

what diy subs could i use to do this role

my setup is emotiva t2 for fronts and rear dutys as well and additional t2s for additional extra rears
plus using a denon 8500 for reciever
a emotiva xpa2 gen3 amp and a emotiva a300 to enhance the front speakers
a oppo 205 4k player
blue jeans speaker cables
a emotiva c2 centre speaker

then i want to use 6 atmos in ceiling speakers

either from klipsh or montitor audio or kef
model to be worked out later which to use for the best wide dispersion and sound quality and holographic effect to be detimined

Possibly the best of the cheaper subs is Bk and for what you want a Monolith would seem to be the closest.  It will achieve 20hz in room and if you are in the Midlands you are welcome to hear mine.  Though nothing in this price range is going to match the SVS unit and if I was spending that sort of money it would be a JL unit.

I have to agree with Fred theres not much out there to touch them value for money, you can hardly make them yourself for what you get, plus you get a warranty and support if something goes wrong. 2 of the larger Monos would fill a pretty large space, and theyre are finished very nicely too if cosmetics is another thing that might be important to you. More finishes than SVS offer. 2 will still work out way cheaper than one SVS, those Ultra's are badass subs though. The only other thing that may get you that level of organ movement at perhaps a fraction on the cost might be some industrial looking PA gear that you might find on offer, but that will be all about lots of sound/movement over all else, especially the cheaper stuff.

On 12/02/2019 at 07:58, markyboy156 said:

and want them to perform as good as the svs pb16 ultra subwoofers

I suspect this isn't realistic I'm afraid. I say this as I think a major component of the performance of subs like these is their bespoke drivers, that I'm very doubtful you could just go out and buy something equivalent to.

• Upvote 1

I was going to DIY my own sub, but gave up when I found that a good driver such as a Peerless 835017 is going to set you back £200 before you look at plate amplifiers at around £250 and then factor in cabinet construction, you will be looking at a price all in of around £600 to make what is in effect a Monolith+ . Which is available at £560 already built and really good value.

Edited by moo-fi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I suspect this isn't realistic I'm afraid. I say this as I think a major component of the performance of subs like these is their bespoke drivers, that I'm very doubtful you could just go out and buy something equivalent to.

A 1500 watt amp and a huge ported box helps as well. They are just amazing subs if youve got the space and cash. A real boys room toy, just out and out bass output, love it. Some of their smaller ones are pretty nice too, but the 16's the king of the range.

But as Fred has highlighted BKs major on value for money, and are well made with good components. If you look used you might get an even greater bargain, as long as your prepared to travel, as the weight and size on them doesnt make sellers happily consider the postage hassle.   

Edited by eddie-baby

15 minutes ago, eddie-baby said:

But as Fred has highlighted BKs major on value for money, and are well made with good components. If you look used you might get an even greater bargain, as long as your prepared to travel, as the weight and size on them doesnt make sellers happily consider the postage hassle.

Oh absolutely, I wasn't knocking BK. I just thought DIYing something to match an SVS 16 Ultra was a tad optimistic :)

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I just thought DIYing something to match an SVS 16 Ultra was a tad optimistic :)

it is

Edited by eddie-baby

The best value for money subwoofers in a wider market place are touring style 18" folded horns - accomadating them is a problem but they are an alternative worth considering for the adventurous..

Edited by Non-Smoking Man
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

The best value for money subwoofers in a wider market place are touring style 18" folded horns. The best sub bass in the business is horn bass. You will need a crossover and an understanding partner.. 

They'll certainly get your trouser legs moving :)

14 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

The best value for money subwoofers in a wider market place are touring style 18" folded horns

Does anyone know if they output more than a bandpass design, or are they basically the same thing?

Edited by eddie-baby

No they are a different beast, lots of output but tend not to go deep.  Danley are perhaps some of the best examples,  I have some dual 21" but they trade output for ultimate reach.