sunbeamgls

What Music Will You Be Playing at Kegworth?

Super Wammer
54 minutes ago, bencat said:

Sadly in the Wam world which is a very broad chrurch it is very difficult to define crap .

.......and this is when Bob C would of reached for his infamous album of Jazz Trombone music ....an epic room emptier if ever there was one :notworthy:

• Haha 3

Last year I played only 7" singles all day. Generally stuff a little off the beaten track with a skew towards shouting, feedback and bleeps. Nothing I'd in any way call "difficult", but it went down like a lead balloon.

I reckon my average visitor stopped for about 20 seconds. Most people opened the door and didn't even bother coming in. A couple of people asked me to put something else on, but I didn't have anything else.

The system (I thought) sounded great, so it must have been the tunes. By 1 o'clock I'd changed the sign on the door to "come for the gear, leave because of the music". It was a bit disspiriting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You only have to look at the What Are You Listening To Right Now? thread to get an idea of what the average white, middle-aged male (because let's face it that's who's going to be attending Kegworth) listens to.

That's not to say I'll be rushing out any time soon to buy Dire Straits, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Yello etc..... to appease the masses, it just means I'll be playing it safe (but not too safe) with my choices.

Having said that I'll be bringing a selection of funk 45s for Saturday night....

• Like 1

Just buy and wear one of these. People will stay and want to hang out with you because they might think your cool. And they wont question your song choices ever again. 

33295147458_7335d34348_c.jpg

• Like 1

Super Wammer
12 hours ago, Baggawire said:

You only have to look at the What Are You Listening To Right Now? thread to get an idea of what the average white, middle-aged male (because let's face it that's who's going to be attending Kegworth) listens to.

That's not to say I'll be rushing out any time soon to buy Dire Straits, Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, Yello etc..... to appease the masses, it just means I'll be playing it safe (but not too safe) with my choices.

Having said that I'll be bringing a selection of funk 45s for Saturday night....

I will not be catergorized just because it fits . Yes I am white no I am not middle aged I am old  . My music will be Soul Funk African Indian Cuban Country and Western Rock Punk Gypsy Music Argentinian Tango and anything esle I can think of . Music is good , Good Music is even better and there is no limit to who produces it and where it comes from . Miles Davis was for me the coolest man on the planet while he was here but I would never listen to a whole night of Miles . Otis , Japan , Yes , Cassandra Wilson , Ry Cooder , Ezio , Steve Miller , Asleeep at the Wheel , Lyle Lovett , Little Feet they all have a place and time to be listened to what all of us need is more music and more variety not less.

Edited by bencat
  • Upvote 3

Super Wammer

I've gone for a large playlist in Roon which I will randomise until I get a request, I also have a 2nd heavier list for when (to quote @aejoker ) I get 'giddy'

I am hoping with my collection on the HD plus Tidal and Qobuz that I should be able to satisfy any requests, IMHO visitors are getting better at making requests

we will also have a pile of vinyl :D 

• Like 2

Whatever happens just play something, anything! Theres nothing worse than hi-fi room silence.

Super Wammer
1 minute ago, eddie-baby said:

Whatever happens just play something, anything! Theres nothing worse than hi-fi room silence.

not likely after several pints of Doombar the night before :D 

1 minute ago, Maverick said:

not likely after several pints of Doombar the night before :D 

Thatll be your own fault, just stick some music on and open your door :D

Edited by eddie-baby

Super Wammer

top tip there

Super Wammer
16 hours ago, rdf said:

Last year I played only 7" singles all day. Generally stuff a little off the beaten track with a skew towards shouting, feedback and bleeps. Nothing I'd in any way call "difficult", but it went down like a lead balloon.

I reckon my average visitor stopped for about 20 seconds. Most people opened the door and didn't even bother coming in. A couple of people asked me to put something else on, but I didn't have anything else.

The system (I thought) sounded great, so it must have been the tunes. By 1 o'clock I'd changed the sign on the door to "come for the gear, leave because of the music". It was a bit disspiriting.

I remember your room. I spent some time there and liked the sound and the sounds. I was only on a whistle stop tour as I was looking after a room as well. There will be more people to annoy this year if there's no snow.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ll be playing a mix of music including New Order, Yello, Kraftwerk, Gregory Porter, Dire Straits, Natalie Merchant, Prince, David Bowie and Luther Vandross. 

I’m very happy to play a track or two from any CD that visitors bring with them.

At some point (TBD), I will be playing the whole of Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk to honour the sad loss of Mark Hollis this weekend.

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer
13 hours ago, ian917 said:

I’ll be playing a mix of music including New Order, Yello, Kraftwerk, Gregory Porter, Dire Straits, Natalie Merchant, Prince, David Bowie and Luther Vandross. 

I’m very happy to play a track or two from any CD that visitors bring with them.

At some point (TBD), I will be playing the whole of Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk to honour the sad loss of Mark Hollis this weekend.

Good call mate, see you there

With big respect to the great man, the Prodigy will be played.

And its all good to me. This was a group of musicians that have always struck a chord with me from their humble beginnings, and always brings me nostalgia from their early days and how I used to listen to music, however, what I feel was a monumental album for them in breaking across listening preferences and even into mainstream and was and will continue to be iconic is The Fat of the Land. It will be on the playlist somewhere.

Will never be forgotten! 

32369788917_739bf9e3d1_z.jpg

47259226102_46b6175867_z.jpg

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 26/02/2019 at 19:08, ian917 said:

I’m planning on playing Spirit of Eden in it’s entirety at 3pm but this is subject to the noise pollution from Bass Central next door to me not being too intrusive.

I’ve decided to bring less audiophile music this year and have raided the deepest recesses of my collection to be as populist as possible.

Edited by ian917