robbie010

Distortion and crackling sound from CD Source

Super Wammer

I am hearing distortion and a crackling sound coming from my speakers.

I have just done a brief experiment by listening to the same track from two different sources and at similar volume. First via apple airplay from an iphone, no discernable distortion. Second from a CD via my Cambridge Audio CXC transport / Chord Mojo DAC and here there was obvious crackling and distortion wherever the music intensified and got louder.

Would this suggest a potential issue with cabling or possibly with the amplifier, which is a Yamaha RX-A820?

Super Wammer

Is this with kit that you have previously used together with no problem? Or is anything new/ changed?

Are you using digital out from the iphone to the mojo or are you using the analogue output from the phone?

Super Wammer

The Mojo and CDT are fairly new.

I didn't use the Mojo with the iphone, I used airplay from the iphone direct to the amp and then used the CDT connected to the Mojo and then to the amp.

Distortion and crackling was heard when using the CDT and Mojo but not the iphone and airplay!

Super Wammer

Have you got the mojo output volume turned up too high causing  the amp to clip maybe?

Super Wammer
17 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Have you got the mojo output volume turned up too high causing  the amp to clip maybe?

Whenever I turn the mojo on I use it in line level mode by pressing the two volume buttons and the power button at the same time. As I understand it, this is the correct way to use the mojo when connecting to an amp.

According what I have read this sends a fixed output signal of 3v.

Super Wammer

Got to agree with Fourlegs, it sounds very much like the Mojo is overloading the input. I don't have one, but I believe you can switch between 1V, 2V, and 3V. Try 1V and see how it goes.

Super Wammer

That might be too high for your amp input. Try just using the variable output an adjusting it until you have a workable volume range with the volume control on your amp.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

That might be too high for your amp input. Try just using the variable output an adjusting it until you have a workable volume range with the volume control on your amp.

:notworthy:

Excellent!! Just switch it on in the normal mode with the volume quite low and cranked up the volume on the amplifier and it sounds great, no distortion or cracking!!

Thanks!

Super Wammer

Perfect.

The actual dac output is the same whether in dac mode or not, it is just whether it is fixed volume or variable that changes.

Glad it worked out.

I use exactly the same combination, a CXC and a Mojo. I switch the Mojo on in the same way you said first time, by holding the two buttons down. I've never had a problem with distortion, so it's probably down to compatibility with the amp. Anyway, sounds like you have got it sorted.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk