Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Amormusic

NAS me peeps!

I've had my Nas drive for 8 years. It's a Synology 212 and I use it purely for storing and accessing music - I'm sure there is a lot more it can do.

1TB is enough for me - I've got 100s of CDs not 1000s - all of them copied using dbpoweramp software in FLAC format.

I don't have a copy or a fail safe set up .... The Nas hasn't failed on me yet .... Although strangely I wouldnt mind if it did as I quite enjoyed ripping my CD collection.

I like the idea of using a USB hardrive .... That didn't occur to me at the time and back then all the talk of streaming music was from a Nas as the benefit was that it was always on and music was accessed immediately.

Set up was straightforward.

Looking forward in hearing your thoughts on the Cambridge.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Balls! The CXN has arrived but doesn’t have an Ethernet in the box and don’t fancy using the WiFi dongle as will be better hardwired than over WiFi. 

Not got one hanging around either so bought one on eBay so the setups on hold for couple of days until that arrives!

Poo! Bit disappointed tbh!

Edited by Amormusic

4 hours ago, Amormusic said:

Balls! The CXN has arrived but doesn’t have an Ethernet in the box and don’t fancy using the WiFi dongle as will be better hardwired than over WiFi. 

Not got one hanging around either so bought one on eBay so the setups on hold for couple of days until that arrives!

Poo! Bit disappointed tbh!

You don’t have a spare cable in your modem/router packaging do you?  It might just get you going.

Did you order a generic Ethernet cable, or a ‘Hi-Fi‘ one?

No packaging unfortunately - we got rid of all non essentials when we moved. 

The cable is as ‘hifi’ as 99p gets you. Lol. 

Super Wammer

Another Synology use here. 212+ with 2x WD Red 3TB drives which are mirrored (RAID 1) so 3TB effective capacity. That’s tucked away in the study and plugged into broadband router. All my CDs (and those loaned by kind friends) ripped in ALAC; I prefer to use iTunes as my interface for album art, metadata tweaks etc. Router is CAT6 cabled to Bluesound Node2 in listening room. Computer used to rip and organise but is not in playback chain.

Enjoy, report back, ask questions...

CXN is plugged in and is set up... Oooh!!!!! It sounds utterly fantastic!!!!

I'm mega pleased. There are much clearer and more defined instruments, and many more layers of sound - and the bass - wow! just wow! I'm listening to tunes I know incredibly well and just sat here grinning my ass off.

This really is a monster step up from the CCA and as I stream 99% of the time is a great addition to my kit.

My only regret is not buying one of these earlier!

I am going to have a fun weekend :)

Edited by Amormusic
  • Like 1

On 11/02/2019 at 08:34, orbscure said:

Another possible cost effective solution... I have a 2TB Western Digital MyCloud HD connected by LAN to my router and that allows me to utilise their dedicated cloud software and play my music files anywhere in the world. The only downside of this for me is if the HD should fail, but (fingers crossed) I've had this unit running without issue for over 5 years now. However, for peace of mind, when its full, I will be getting a dedicated NAS with back-up support... :) 

This just have me a panic attack just thinking about it. Get it backed up! Please!

External HDDs are not expensive, especially compared to the effort of ring those CDs and given the ensuing stress. I'll try and relax now.