The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Sign in to follow this  
Amormusic

NAS me peeps!

Hi folks,

If there’s already a stream for this, then apologies, please link me..

I’ve just bought a CA CXN which arrives in a few days... Hopefully a very decent upgrade from the Chromecast Audio...

I primarily stream Spotify premium, hence my upgrade streamer purchase, however I also own a ridiculous amount of CDs...

I want to Flac these all, get them onto a NAS drive and then have everything at my fingertips. 

What NAS is good vfm, what software do I need and how easy is this? I am a tech dumbass so sorry if this is dumb question!!

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

If you only want to use the NAS drive for serving audio files to your streamer then the Synology j-series is fine. I use one with Minimserver - freeware/donationware DLNA server software that sits on the NAS drive and allows you to browse your music collection to find the music you want to play.

I think there is a free CA app for controlling your streamer - others may know more about this.

Setting all of this up is just a matter of following the instructions - no special technical knowledge required.

Edited by bobovox
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bobovox said:

If you only want to use the NAS drive for serving audio files to your streamer then the Synology j-series is fine. I use one with Minimserver - freeware/donationware DLNA server software that sits on the NAS drive and allows you to browse your music collection to find the music you want to play.

Setting all of this up is just a matter of following the instructions - no special technical knowledge required.

Pretty much the same for QNAP, of which I use. It's all down to personal choices or monetary deals on-line / at your preferred retailer. Both are easy to set up if you follow instructions and the QNAP's I've owned have been reliable.

So all NAS’s are equivalent? It’s only storage right? Or are some better than others?

Also, how much space does CD>Flac use? Dunno how many CDs I’ve got, but it’s stupid amounts...

How many Flac songs per TB? I.E how many TB’s do I need to buy? 

Again, thank you in advance, this really is double dutch to me!

Edited by Amormusic

2 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

So are NAS’s are equivalent? It’s only storage right? Or are some better than others?

Also, how much space does CD>Flac use? Dunno how many CDs I’ve got, but it’s stupid amounts...

How many Flac songs per TB? I.E how many TB’s do I need to buy? 

Again, thank you in advance, this really is double Dutch to me!

Not if you read write ups on-line. Make of it what you want, tbh, I take no notice as my ears are knackered and I can't really tell the difference between MP3 & Flac but I use Flac because I know it's better for me... :doh:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

I'm re-doing things as I lost a huge amount of data, (long story) and so far I have 450 albums plus artwork at Flac level 5 compression which eats around 250Gig.

I bought two 3TB WD Red drives and placed them in Raid, so they mirror each other. I have plenty of space and even when I had around 2500 albums I still had space on a 2TB drive previously.

Whatever you do, make sure you have plenty of backups, otherwise you'll be like me, re-doing it all!

Back-ups are cheap, a couple of 2TB WD Elements Storage are cheap as chips almost... I have one attached to my router, passing info along as I tag albums and move them to the NAS, it also stores on the portable drive too.

I’ve got around 3200 albums in FLAC with around 100 of them hi-res DSD/DFF and I've around 20% left on 2TB WD red drives.

Once the library exceeded around 1500 albums I found my early Synology 213J was getting slower populating the library so moved to a 214+ running minimserver and it’s quick, reliable and smooth. If you’ve a large library I’d look at models above the basic J models.

As already said, back up, back up and back up again.

I like Synology because  they’re easy to use and set up and automatically use their own version of raid once you install the drives. When one HDD goes down installing a fresh drive and recreating the raid is simple if fairly lengthy - mine took around 10 hours overnight.

oh, and back up!!

The latest version of Connect (CA’s own controlling app) is far better but not the prettiest or nicest to use. If you use android then BubbleUPNP is what you need. For iOS (which is what I use) Mconnect is very good and is far better with Tidal than the basic implementation you get with CA Connect - looks and feels a quality product. Both apps are around £6.

Dont forget to back up!!!

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

I may well be mistaken but does the CA CXN not have a USB input ? If it does then why not save yourself a bit of cash and just get a USB Hard Drive around 2 TB (about £50/£60) and connect that direct to the CA CXN . You can rip your current CD collection on a PC / Lap Top first with the USB HD connected and when completed plug in and play . It is not as versatile as the NAS but it is much cheaper and with direct connection will be faster and not use any of your bandwidth .

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

For ripping, get yourself a copy of dB Poweramp, simple to use and it checks the rip against a cloud database to ensure  the rip is accurate. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bencat said:

I may well be mistaken but does the CA CXN not have a USB input ? If it does then why not save yourself a bit of cash and just get a USB Hard Drive around 2 TB (about £50/£60) and connect that direct to the CA CXN . You can rip your current CD collection on a PC / Lap Top first with the USB HD connected and when completed plug in and play . It is not as versatile as the NAS but it is much cheaper and with direct connection will be faster and not use any of your bandwidth .

Thanks for all answers. 

Is there an advantage of doing it by NAS drive vs USB? I thought I can then log onto my files from elsewhere - if I visited friends/family etc. or have I got this wrong?

Otherwise doing by usb drive seems a cheap way to do it. 

If so, can you recommend a decent brand of usb drive, or are they all the same?

thanks,

*edit. Don’t know if has USB port as it’s not arrived yet. But probably does. 

Edited by Amormusic

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

I thought I can then log onto my files from elsewhere - if I visited friends/family etc. or have I got this wrong?

Another possible cost effective solution... I have a 2TB Western Digital MyCloud HD connected by LAN to my router and that allows me to utilise their dedicated cloud software and play my music files anywhere in the world. The only downside of this for me is if the HD should fail, but (fingers crossed) I've had this unit running without issue for over 5 years now. However, for peace of mind, when its full, I will be getting a dedicated NAS with back-up support... :) 

1 hour ago, Amormusic said:

Thanks for all answers. 

Is there an advantage of doing it by NAS drive vs USB? I thought I can then log onto my files from elsewhere - if I visited friends/family etc. or have I got this wrong?

Otherwise doing by usb drive seems a cheap way to do it. 

If so, can you recommend a decent brand of usb drive, or are they all the same?

thanks,

*edit. Don’t know if has USB port as it’s not arrived yet. But probably does. 

I have a CXN and Synology NAS and the two work 'in perfect harmony'!  You are correct in that you can log on to your NAS through any internet connection and Synology, as others, have cloud services in addition.  USB is an option but not one I have explored - I had the NAS pre-CXN.  The CXN has its own app for accessing and playing music and it works well.

Edited by samd

My workflow is as follows:

- extract files from CD in AIFF into desktop computer using XLD

- import files into the backup iTunes library located in a USB HDD for tagging and add cover image (I prefer to tag my files manually and select the cover image myself, which I get online and then reduce to 300x300 pixels)

- import the tagged files into the main iTunes library located in a NAS

Ripping is very demanding on the optical drive and those on two of my computers have started malfunctioning as a result. I have recently bought a NOS "full-size" external FireWire optical drive just for ripping.

I prefer non-compressed file formats because decompression increases computation during playback, which is said to produce noise.

I keep a second backup copy of my library in an old NAS.

Edited by tuga

Thank you all for some very useful guidance. Think I’m going to plump for a synology and try my hand at importing them all. 

Point taken about backups and software to use. That should save me some time/future headache. 

CXN delivery is tomorrow 😀 so going to plug it in and have some fun tomorrow night, then sort myself a NAS over the weekend. 

Happy days!

Super Wammer

Good luck Pete.... and be sure to report back on the Synology :) 

Just buy a 4TB HDD (WD or Seagate) and an Orico USB 3 enclosure and plug it into the back of the CXN as it has it's own USB input for local media...