The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

Psilonaught

Amp recommendations for up to £3k for magnepans

Super Wammer
On 10/02/2019 at 09:19, Psilonaught said:

I've decided to step up from my heavily modified ps audio hca-2. It is very very nice and based on nothing more than a hunch I suspect I need the aforementioned budget to achieve an improvement.

I run heavily modified magnepans so I need POWER and lots of it. I've seen offerings from plinius and Classé but what do people think I should consider? I've always wanted something class a. I've seen Bryston recommended for magnepans but not sure £3k is enough for that?

The magnepans are very resolving and of course have outstanding bass (quality). The top end is as smooth as you like, so I don't need something to alter the sound, just improve what I already have.

How about an Innersounds  Electrostatics amplifier? May not be easy to find one here in the UK but they are designed specifically to drive stats and have brilliant reviews.

• Like 1

Perreaux as previously recommended.  What I found (the the Eloquence 250) was a supreme sense of ease.  My first choice though would be the Onkyo M-5000.  Only rated at 85 watts but subjectively seemed more powerful.  I would also prefer that to the ATC P1 (that I have).  The striking thing about the Onkyo is its razor-blade accuracy - probably something to do with the darlington transistors. 

In the past I've owned a pair of older 0.6 Maggies and ran them with a few different amps over the years. A friend also owned a same pair and he ran them with a Classe Audio 'Seventy' power amp and 'Thirty' pre-amp.

I used a Krell KSA150 which eventually required a service and went down on a channel,  got loaned a pair of Restek 'Extent' monos which were excellent but simply couldn't afford them in the end. You'll probably need a good 100watt amp/s minimum to drive them effortlessly etc, they do like a bit of spare power up them to make them sing their best....!

Something like a Rotel Michi RHB-10 muscle power-amp would fit the bill (if you could find one), 200watts output should drive Maggies effortless I'd say. Bryson/Classe/Krell/Accuphase/Manley Labs should all work fine I'd guess.

Peter

Edited by macvisual

...... I was also going to recommend Krell. Something that can give a decent current delivery 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gizza said:

How about an Innersounds  Electrostatics amplifier? May not be easy to find one here in the UK but they are designed specifically to drive stats and have brilliant reviews.

good suggestion , has that magtech sold yet ? thats been in some classifieds 

• Like 1

Chord power amps will drive anything apparently. Run mainly in class A, only switching to Class B in most demanding situations. My Chord SPM800B (1995 vintage) drives my relatively inefficient Tannoys (85 db/w) extraordinarily well. Conservatively rated at 160 wpc, Runs cool too due to SMPS, and not "backbreakingly heavy"

Super Wammer

Given the previous recommendation presume this would be close to what you are looking for and well within your budget .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WYRED4SOUND-sx-1000-ICe-Cube-MONOBLOCKS-Power-Amplifiers-1000-Watts-into-8-Ohms/264170916569?hash=item3d81d04ad9:g:hGkAAOSwdiFcUYmz:rk:8:pf:0

Or check out these beauties presently in the classifieds;

Perfect for attaching to a pair of Maggies with money left over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you want the bargain of the century then buy one or maybe two of these , they will drive any speaker on the planet.

I am seriously thinking of buying these just for the pride of ownership, so be quick!

40 amps of continuous current and 200 amps peak current !

No affiliation .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABRAHAMSEN-AUDIO-SA-1/173762549520?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

image.png.2997e0a79420a8851f0580340b087773.png

image.png.4ca46fb926f3b5d670bd93592f3a366c.png

Edited by Electro
Added pictures

On 10/02/2019 at 09:19, Psilonaught said:

I've decided to step up from my heavily modified ps audio hca-2. It is very very nice and based on nothing more than a hunch I suspect I need the aforementioned budget to achieve an improvement.

I run heavily modified magnepans so I need POWER and lots of it. I've seen offerings from plinius and Classé but what do people think I should consider? I've always wanted something class a. I've seen Bryston recommended for magnepans but not sure £3k is enough for that?

The magnepans are very resolving and of course have outstanding bass (quality). The top end is as smooth as you like, so I don't need something to alter the sound, just improve what I already have.

Parasound, Meridian 557, Carver,  Accoustic Imagery (Hypex Ncore based), big Musical Fidelity stuff, Krell KSA 100, Amcron DC300A, Lab Grupen PA amps, Hafler DH200 or220, the list is fairly endless.  Bryston tends to be overpriced so keep your eyes pealed for Lexicon amps that are in fact rebadged Brystons for a lot less.

I have a Krell KSA100mk2. Running not so inefficient PMC's. But judging by the bass slam I get at anti social volume levels, seems they put out loads of juice. In fact iam so in love with the sound, that iam looking for an extra krell to vertically bi amp. 

Stupendous bass slam, absolutely no grain with deep dark black back grounds. And a very clear mid range and treble with an added sense of presence and emotion. Please audition one if you get a chance 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Electro said:

If you want the bargain of the century then buy one or maybe two of these , they will drive any speaker on the planet.

I am seriously thinking of buying these just for the pride of ownership, so be quick!

40 amps of continuous current and 200 amps peak current !

No affiliation .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABRAHAMSEN-AUDIO-SA-1/173762549520?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

image.png.2997e0a79420a8851f0580340b087773.png

image.png.4ca46fb926f3b5d670bd93592f3a366c.png

Hi electro...I just checked out the abrahamsen SA-1's out of curiosity, and they are rated at 40 W at 8 ohms. With a current supply that will melt most speaker cables :D

Seems to be almost 200 amps. Enough to electrocute the entire building if I wired my system wrong :D

Something to try for sure. But unfortunately I couldn't find much on their website, are these full class A by any chance. Thanks to kindly reply :)