Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

Psilonaught

Amp recommendations for up to £3k for magnepans

Recommended Posts

On 10/02/2019 at 09:19, Psilonaught said:

I've decided to step up from my heavily modified ps audio hca-2. It is very very nice and based on nothing more than a hunch I suspect I need the aforementioned budget to achieve an improvement.

I run heavily modified magnepans so I need POWER and lots of it. I've seen offerings from plinius and Classé but what do people think I should consider? I've always wanted something class a. I've seen Bryston recommended for magnepans but not sure £3k is enough for that?

The magnepans are very resolving and of course have outstanding bass (quality). The top end is as smooth as you like, so I don't need something to alter the sound, just improve what I already have.

(Ahem)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Tucana-integrated-amplifier-/263813230531?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leema amps will do a good job as will older Musical Fidelity stuff which is now dirt cheap. Plenty of MF stuff that will kick out 120 Watts plus of clean power.

The larger panels of the models you are looking at may not need that much more power the smaller models as the greater surface area will create more sound. Just because they can take more current doesn't mean you should throw it at them.

A powerful Quad amplifier will give you the current you need as well. You could go for powerful US and Canadian muscle amps but Chord or Leema from the UK will do a good job too. Since most of the users of Maggies tend to me in North America the online discussions tend to be about their "local" manufacturers. I am aware that the size of the USA and Canada combined means that local loses a lot of its meaning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MrSammy said:

Leema amps will do a good job as will older Musical Fidelity stuff which is now dirt cheap. Plenty of MF stuff that will kick out 120 Watts plus of clean power.

The larger panels of the models you are looking at may not need that much more power the smaller models as the greater surface area will create more sound. Just because they can take more current doesn't mean you should throw it at them.

A powerful Quad amplifier will give you the current you need as well. You could go for powerful US and Canadian muscle amps but Chord or Leema from the UK will do a good job too. Since most of the users of Maggies tend to me in North America the online discussions tend to be about their "local" manufacturers. I am aware that the size of the USA and Canada combined means that local loses a lot of its meaning.

My Tucana has enough power to light up a small town. It is also subtle, great at low volumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, newlash09 said:

Hi electro...I just checked out the abrahamsen SA-1's out of curiosity, and they are rated at 40 W at 8 ohms. With a current supply that will melt most speaker cables :D

Seems to be almost 200 amps. Enough to electrocute the entire building if I wired my system wrong :D

Something to try for sure. But unfortunately I couldn't find much on their website, are these full class A by any chance. Thanks to kindly reply :)

They are quite unique and almost class A up to 40wpc but slide into AB for transients, a pair of them can be bridged to deliver up to 4 x that power into 8 ohms and yes they deliver up to 40 amps continuously and 200 amps peak  with a 1000va transformer.

They are capable of several kilowatts of transient power and will drive any load bar a dead short in which case they will melt whatever stands in their way !

They are ideal for speakers that are almost impossible to drive with very low impedance's like many panel speakers , but they are just as happy getting the most out of any other type of speaker.

They are based on the design and theory of Dr Matti Otala and are about as close to that ideal as has ever been made.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b3c0/a892a982ebde91f83f228905dac30186f827.pdf

They are not the most practical units and they are quite rare but I would love to own them as they are a modern take on a piece of amplifier history.

image.png.942956e488a54cc3187356727a9016ac.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try one of these. I had one of the power amps and it was brilliant. Absolutely bags of power, will handle difficult speaker loads and sounds excellent:

http://www. Nordacoustics.co.uk

Reviews include users who’ve moved from some big Type A and AB amps with favourable results. 

If your interest is piqued, give Colin a ring. He’s a good bloke.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Electro said:

They are quite unique and almost class A up to 40wpc but slide into AB for transients, a pair of them can be bridged to deliver up to 4 x that power into 8 ohms and yes they deliver up to 40 amps continuously and 200 amps peak  with a 1000va transformer.

They are capable of several kilowatts of transient power and will drive any load bar a dead short in which case they will melt whatever stands in their way !

They are ideal for speakers that are almost impossible to drive with very low impedance's like many panel speakers , but they are just as happy getting the most out of any other type of speaker.

They are based on the design and theory of Dr Matti Otala and are about as close to that ideal as has ever been made.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b3c0/a892a982ebde91f83f228905dac30186f827.pdf

They are not the most practical units and they are quite rare but I would love to own them as they are a modern take on a piece of amplifier history.

image.png.942956e488a54cc3187356727a9016ac.png

Thanks a lot for the info Electro. Sounds and also looks like a great amp :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi chaps.

So a bit of an update. Whilst reviewing articles about magnepans i realised that i hadn't tried swapping them round so that the ribbon tweeters were on the outside. At the same time, I somewhat embarrassingly realised that i had hooked them up wrong...

Basically, they now sound absolutely epic, literally a good 50% better than any previous setups that i have owned.

I'm now worried about changing the overall character of the sound. I'm therefore thinking if i should improve the front end. I use a Bel Canto DAC. I'm also considering dropping £300 on Mundorf Silver Oils in my preamp to replace the sonicaps. And a silver wire upgrade.

Nice problem to have right?! This is the first time that i'm actually happy with ALL aspects of my setup's sound.

PS I think I will try a Krell just to see too! I've wanted one for literally a decade!

Edited by Psilonaught

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't the tweeters on Maggies be situated so the tweeter runs on the inside and not the outside...? I ran my 0.6's like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, macvisual said:

Shouldn't the tweeters on Maggies be situated so the tweeter runs on the inside and not the outside...? I ran my 0.6's like that.

My manual states outside but I read somewhere else that inside is better but will only create a smaller sweet spot, not good of for multiple people listening together. You also need a big room. I listen on my own and my listening room is massive.

I was appalled at how much better swapping them over was. I'd been listening to them like that for 6 months !

I barely use my REL Strata III now either, it just isn't necessary.

I can't emphasise enough how good magnepans are. I've seen some poor reviews on here, and frankly I suspect they hadn't spent enough time on position or had too small a room, or the wrong amp. I will never ever go back to cones, ever.

The key is realism. Instruments actually sound like the real thing, with the perfect amount of decay. Added to stunning imaging and excellent resolution, these give me the closest experience to live music that I have ever heard. A quite emotional experience actually.

Edited by Psilonaught

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent James!

Which exact model of Magneplanners do you use/colour of cloth/colour of side cheeks etc...?

When I owned my 0.6 Maggies (bought new from Cloney Audio, Dublin) they were an oatmeal colour cloth with oak side wooden cheek plates, eventually room size for me was a problem and they had to go, but my Lord they were excellent with imaging/staging etc... I owned a pair of 57's briefly after and thought they were actually slightly better with realism.

Panels are simply brilliant if you've the space!!

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, macvisual said:

Excellent James!

Which exact model of Magneplanners do you use/colour of cloth/colour of side cheeks etc...?

When I owned my 0.6 Maggies (bought new from Cloney Audio, Dublin) they were an oatmeal colour cloth with oak side wooden cheek plates, eventually room size for me was a problem and they had to go, but my Lord they were excellent with imaging/staging etc... I owned a pair of 57's briefly after and thought they were actually slightly better with realism.

Panels are simply brilliant if you've the space!!

Peter

Have a look at my DIY rebuild thread. I have 1.6QR magnepans that I totally stipped down and recapped, with custom plywood stands for rigidity.

Edited by Psilonaught
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An MC2 S800 or S1400, class AB made in UK studio amps.

https://www.mc2-audio.co.uk/products/s-series/

https://www.leisuretec.co.uk/product/s800-2channel-amplifier-2x950w--4ohms-2u-webmc200035

https://www.leisuretec.co.uk/product/s1400-2channel-amplifier-2x1500w--4ohms-2u-webmc200034

There's also a home version of the S800/S1400 that has binding posts instead of Speakon connectors.

1272860608_mc2HS800.thumb.jpg.711118db7983be2cd51d6f92aa360280.jpg

1512641892_mc2HS1400-4.thumb.jpg.93bb5505d4496a3a0163ac31397f4d6b.jpg

Edited by Anatta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2019 at 19:16, Psilonaught said:

PS I think I will try a Krell just to see too! I've wanted one for literally a decade!

If you’re interested in an integrated amp, I’m selling my Krell KAV-300i and am bringing it to Kegworth next month.  One owner, twenty careful years driving Sonus faber speakers mostly.  45 amps peak current should be plenty for your speakers!

https://www.stereophile.com/integratedamps/809/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.