Psilonaught

Amp recommendations for up to £3k for magnepans

I've decided to step up from my heavily modified ps audio hca-2. It is very very nice and based on nothing more than a hunch I suspect I need the aforementioned budget to achieve an improvement.

I run heavily modified magnepans so I need POWER and lots of it. I've seen offerings from plinius and Classé but what do people think I should consider? I've always wanted something class a. I've seen Bryston recommended for magnepans but not sure £3k is enough for that?

The magnepans are very resolving and of course have outstanding bass (quality). The top end is as smooth as you like, so I don't need something to alter the sound, just improve what I already have.

Edited by Psilonaught

Super Wammer

Would something like this do the job? 

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/wyred-4-sound-sx-1000r-power-amplifier/

Available from around £1600 used. 

• Upvote 1

I'm totally unsuited to answering your question as I favour the high efficiency route, but as I run subwoofers in my big horn system I did do some reading on muscle amps at one time.

Maggies are a difficult 4 ohm load, as I understand it, and need solid state amps that double their output  into 4 ohm loads. The Bryston can do this and that's why you see them coupled with Maggies.

I would trawl the U.S. forums for information if I was in your position.

I wouldnt have thought Class A amps would be the way to go though.

Jack NSM

Might be worth a home demo of Hegel integrated amp would be in your price bracket I've read a few times of these being used with maggies possibly the H360 or H190 got plenty of grip on difficult speakers .

Perreaux lovely amps and they do huge power too 

There's been quite a bit of discussion over on AoS about the amps best suited to Maggies from long time users. Might be worth a gander?

Edited by Jazid

Thanks all I will start researching those recommendations. The wyred amp is mentioned a lot in relation to maggies I see.

I forgot to mention I am using an imported YS audio A2 plus preamp with sonicaps and vintage tubes, in case that has a bearing on power amps. It trounces the preamp in my bel canto dac so I know it isn't a weak link.

12 minutes ago, Jazid said:

There's been quite a bit of discussion over on AoS about the amps best suited to Maggies from long time users. Might be worth a gander?

Thanks

The big Rega Orisis integrated amplifier was the last amplifier I heard driving Maggie's at a show.  Doing a good job too, they seem to thrive with difficult loads, as there seems to quite a lot of these driving large Shahinian's, which aren't actually an easy load either.

Super Wammer

Hegel was mentioned, and I've just got an H200. My speakers need some driving to sound at their best and the H200 is doing a grand job, and incredibly clean sounding too. It strikes me it would be a good match.

Super Wammer
2 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

Thanks all I will start researching those recommendations. The wyred amp is mentioned a lot in relation to maggies I see.

I forgot to mention I am using an imported YS audio A2 plus preamp with sonicaps and vintage tubes, in case that has a bearing on power amps. It trounces the preamp in my bel canto dac so I know it isn't a weak link.

the pre amp in bel canto dacs is horrible !! digital sounding and fatiguing . fab as a dac though . been using one for years 

incidentally Alan on Aos used his firebottle monos with his maggies to good effect . i rather like them too 

I really don't know if this helps. But one of my friends, runs his Maggie 1.7's from a pair of schiit vidar as mono blocks, each putting out 400 watts. Sounded impressive to me. 

I had tried one single vidar in stereo mode outputting 100W per channel in my system, and found the bass too wooly to my taste. But in his system as mono blocks, they were a complete different kettle of fish :)

On 10/02/2019 at 13:46, falcoron said:

Perreaux lovely amps and they do huge power too 

This. I used a 150i with some maggies and it drove them no problem and a 250i has oodles and oodles of power. I bought my 250i for under 3k so it's do-able.

auralic merak mono amps 400w in 4 ohms going for £2099 at musicraft leaves money for a nice pre-amp

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/auralic-merak-mono-power-amplifiers/