whitehart

CD Alive and Well?

Chebby , no one needs anything popping and I haven’t detected any sanctimonious blather. You just seem to have got very, er, cross........and Martin,I really do need a CD player- not too expensive mind. See my marantz cd 17 post!

1 minute ago, chebby said:

I needed to pop the bubble of sanctimony that develops on forums between the ‘purists’ - who maintain that the path to righteousness can only be found via physical media and playing albums in their entirety - vs the filthy, devilish, apostates who enjoy streaming and/or downloads.

I haven't personally spotted anyone do so in this thread.

BTW the idea of anyone thinking CDs are an old-school purist approach doesn't half make me feel old! Anyone else?

Super Wammer

Chebby you are the one sounding like a sanctomonius prick.

2 minutes ago, mr neds said:

Chebby , no one needs anything popping and I haven’t detected any sanctimonious blather. You just seem to have got very, er, cross........and Martin,I really do need a CD player- not too expensive mind. See my marantz cd 17 post!

Yes, I remember your other thread :). I still think you should go the separate DAC route FWIW, since you can get very good performance for not very much money. I recently bought an SMSL SU-8 for £190 which certainly doesn't embarrass itself.

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

BTW the idea of anyone thinking CDs are an old-school purist approach doesn't half make me feel old! Anyone else?

After 36 years they are a little bit.

Edited by chebby
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, chebby said:

I actually know people my own age (and younger) who reject recent computer based, and computer streamed, music formats and Bluetooth/Airplay etc. simply because they have yet to come to grips with the technology. 

Maybe in some cases it's because they can't be arsed with it and/or think CD sounds better.

Personally, even though I cannot see, still able to download music, but refuse to as I resent paying for something I can't touch.  I do love the streaming services, Spotify in particular as it's opened a World of music to me that I would never have known about and worth every penny of it's £9.99 per month.

Mac

10 minutes ago, whitehart said:

Personally, even though I cannot see, still able to download music, but refuse to as I resent paying for something I can't touch.  I do love the streaming services, Spotify in particular as it's opened a World of music to me that I would never have known about and worth every penny of it's £9.99 per month.

Mac

I think we have finally arrived at a similar place.

I now use Tidal for 90% of my listening and the rest is either my ripped CD collection and Linn Radio/Radio Paradise.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 12:58, Fourlegs said:

Agreed that the files might be the same but the delivery mechanism leaves open a host of different RF and other noise artifacts to get overlaid on the digital signal and hence into the analogue stage of the DAC. That is why CD can sometimes sound better than a ripped file.

Or why a ripped file can sometimes sound better than CD - Linn stopped making CD players some years ago.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Pedro2 said:

Or why a ripped file can sometimes sound better than CD - Linn stopped making CD players some years ago.

Albeit that would have been dictated by a marketing strategy as much as anything to do with sound quality.

14 minutes ago, notevenclose said:

Albeit that would have been dictated by a marketing strategy as much as anything to do with sound quality.

You are almost certainly right although their last ever CD player (CD12) garnered great reviews and is still regarded by some as a classic so the decision must not have been taken lightly.

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, Pedro2 said:

You are almost certainly right although their last ever CD player (CD12) garnered great reviews and is still regarded by some as a classic so the decision must not have been taken lightly.

Indeed, and I recall they very persuasively demonstrated the benefits of streamed music at that time. Since then their streamers have improved significantly too. 

On 20/02/2019 at 12:00, chebby said:

I suspect more than a few people here are actually scared of streaming and downloads because they think it’s difficult.

This could be me!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, whitehart said:

I see Leema have now released a new CDP which incorporates streaming... reasonably priced too.

https://www.leema-acoustics.com/product.html?prid=86

Mac

Its a shame its pig ugly!

• Like 1