whitehart

CD Alive and Well?

I've picked up some real bargain classical cds from charity shops. Ok stuff people might not want - some operas, some chamber music, but not a duffer among them.

2 hours ago, bohemian said:

I've picked up some real bargain classical cds from charity shops. Ok stuff people might not want - some operas, some chamber music, but not a duffer among them.

My most used CD shop is Oxfam. 

I can imagine a resurgence in CD. Streaming on anything other than Bluetooth seems to be going backwards. Every time we get close to a standard, like Squeezebox and Chromecast Audio, they get discontinued. CD is massively compatible and easy to use. It is also due a hipster renaissance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dino said:

No, i do know the difference, Cds do scratch too if not handled well. 

9_9

It is of course possible for a CD to be so scratched it affects playback but this should be incredibly rare. None of the CDs I've had from new have this problem, in over 20 years of buying them. Try not using CDs as drinks coasters...

Super Wammer

I wish I lived somewhere where the charity shops had any music, whatever the format, which wasn't utter shite.

I feel for you David. Seaside towns are not the best hunting ground, especially since DFL's have opened retro shops and hoovered everything up!

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, bigfool1956 said:

I wish I lived somewhere where the charity shops had any music, whatever the format, which wasn't utter shite.

You are only 9 miles from a terrific source of charity shop music Dave. I often spend an hour or two browsing the selection there. 

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, Lurch said:

You are only 9 miles from a terrific source of charity shop music Dave. I often spend an hour or two browsing the selection there. 

I keep forgetting I want to go and have a browse there.

I only ever look at the Vinyl in charity shops - keep forgetting what a good source of CD's it can be too.

Vinyl in Chazzies is very hit and miss- sometimes a volunteer has looked something up on Discogs or suchlike, without looking at the condition, which often resembles a used sanding disc. Having said that, I got a mint copy of the first Focus album ( prog lovers! ) with lovely silver gatefold sleeve, for £2 at my local. With cd's there can be a load of dross, but as they say, there are sometimes diamonds in dogshit......or something like that

On 12/02/2019 at 19:24, dino said:

I think Cd format  is very close to being dead. Its inconvenient and scratches very easily.  I gave close to 1000 discs to various  charity shops over a period of some weeks, keeping only a few that are impossible to locate. Some of those shops sell 8 discs for one pound. People simply do not want them. 

All my collection is on a laptop and can be accessed instantly. I have checked several times to listen for any difference between the disc and even an MP3 version of the same recording. The disc does not have extra dynamics or  anything else. If the disc did, I would use, but it doesnt add anything. 

I dont think bits are bits. The quality of the DAC matters a lot, otherwise we all would be using a £200 DAC and makers of higher end DACS would not bother making them. 

Well I do not use mine as frisbees and find that scratching them is not easily done (with a modicum of common sense and care).   

As to being no better than MP3 .. well as I always say go with what your ears tell you.   If you are happy that is all that matters. 

Mine tell me something else and so I will stick with CDs thanks (although I do like to download to SD memory card for the car radio).   

As to your collection on laptop I hope you make two offboard copies  of the hard drive ( (IT protocol for backup namely, grandfather, father, son .. or save to the cloud and pray they do the same so not to lose your data) otherwise you may find you have to reload it all again at some point.

I like being able to choose what to play by running my eyes along the collection - and I like to read sleeve notes (albeit with +2.5 reading glasses now) and I like to have something tangible for my money.  There are a number of online sellers of CDs and DVDs doing very nicely so there must be a market.   As to charity shops i I look all the time but the number of CDs you would actually want to buy are few and far between (unless you like musak or crap like Steps and Westlife).

I also think that whilst DACs are very important the bang for your buck as you move up the price range diminishes very quickly.  I would love someone to set a player up with 8 different DACs and then see if people can distinguish them in blind listening tests (or the amusement when you play the same DAC twice and someone says the second one was far better).

The one benefit of them going out is it means my local poundshop can sell tons of them for £1 each :P (they are originally from musicmagpie I think - I've bought >50 over the past few weeks).

Seriously though, I could easily buy a storage system like a Naim Uniti Atom, add a 1TB SSD, rip bit-perfect copies and then have everything in a media library, but I deliberately haven't as I've noticed a change in my habits depending on how I listen:

In the car/itunes/iphone portable/spotify etc etc I find myself spending more time skipping tracks or looking for something specific than actually listening. For instance, waiting for a train, play a playlist on random but I'll still skip quite a lot till I get to what I want. Or on the way home, half my 20min journey might be me either impatiently skipping forward or scrolling through long lists to get to what I want.

Playing CD OTOH - I simply choose the album and play. I spend more time listening (and are more likely to listen to a whole album) than skipping. I also love the idea of physically owning the media (rather than owning some ethereal "rights" to listen to it).

So I for one am firmly in the CD camp but see that whole industry going the way of the dodo within 10yrs (especially with major retailers like HMV dying out along the way).

Edited by Gaffer
  • Like 2

I still really like CDs. The fact I prefer vinyl isn't wholly a sound quality issue. And TBH I mainly play CDs in the car or van, only occasionally on the Blu-ray player.

Usually find bargain CDs in our local charity shops. Surprisingly good choice allied to excellent prices.

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:58, BeeRay said:

Yes I prefer cds but looking to buy a few recently and they are either not available because never been issued, gone out of print and therefore extremely expensive if new or very expensive for used or available at around normal price about £12 or less. Now there are some available on Bandcamp as downloads, one was $10 which is not bad about £8, so I will probably buy that, the cd is £13 inc. postage but is not available on Bandcamp. If I download it, I should be able to copy it cd. What do you do with artists such as Holly Arrowsmith, who are only available as downloads or via streaming.

I have written to her about the matter, but no response, shame as most artists do when I query the issue... I just satisfy myself with listning to her albums via Spotify/Sonos

such a shame, they're such great albums.

Mac