whitehart

CD Alive and Well?

Super Wammer
On 10/02/2019 at 12:16, chebby said:

Vinyl yes, CD no.

CD players with their remotes and the ability to skip and program easily - without leaving the listening chair - were the death of listening to a whole side of an album in one go.

Not for me they weren't, I like classical music best so listening to a whole piece of music without having to get up and turn the record over at least once whilst listening to a symphony was a godsend with CD.

Since the tagging system was standardised for pop music finding a complete set of files to listen to on a streaming service is a pita, as it is with ripped CDs unless 20 minutes is spent tagging the rip each time.

I can't be bothered and have pretty well gone back to only listening to CDs and LPs, so I hope it isn't the end of CDs.

Edited by f1eng
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, f1eng said:

Not for me they weren't

Same for me, both on my HiFi and in the car. I've also streamed whole albums via Deezer come to that.

Edited by MartinC
  • Upvote 1

I have to say Chebby, that I never programmed any albums to just play favourites- always a whole album. I've always said to my kids that one track tells you nothing about an artist, in fact it may be completely atypical and the songs that you don't warm to may take 20 plays to come round to, preferably in the context of their parent album

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, whitehart said:

Personally, I've never downloaded an album and never will... I begrudge paying £7.99 or more,  for something I can't fully own in physical format. 

By all means rip CD to a quality streamer and store away.

Mac 

Yes I prefer cds but looking to buy a few recently and they are either not available because never been issued, gone out of print and therefore extremely expensive if new or very expensive for used or available at around normal price about £12 or less. Now there are some available on Bandcamp as downloads, one was $10 which is not bad about £8, so I will probably buy that, the cd is £13 inc. postage but is not available on Bandcamp. If I download it, I should be able to copy it cd. What do you do with artists such as Holly Arrowsmith, who are only available as downloads or via streaming.

On 10/02/2019 at 12:16, chebby said:

Vinyl yes, CD no.

CD players with their remotes and the ability to skip and program easily - without leaving the listening chair - were the death of listening to a whole side of an album in one go.

But even with a remote you still need to get up and change the cd. Vinyl is worse because you have to get and change the side about every 20 minutes, as least with cd you can play for as long as the album lasts or about 60 minutes. If the music is not good enough to play the whole album then you need to buy some better albums.

26 minutes ago, mr neds said:

I have to say Chebby, that I never programmed any albums to just play favourites- always a whole album. I've always said to my kids that one track tells you nothing about an artist, in fact it may be completely atypical and the songs that you don't warm to may take 20 plays to come round to, preferably in the context of their parent album

It’s not a habit with me either as a lot of the content I listen to is drama and comedy and documentary in nature. Just saying that the ability to - conveniently - skip tracks was brought to us courtesy of the CD player and the remote control. Whether-or-not you choose to use it is an individual decision based on taste and/or the nature of the recording. (Gapless, live, classical, ‘concept’, drama, compilation etc. etc.)

Let’s face it, not everyone has your impeccable taste and will often find themselves with an album containing not just gems but also ‘filler’ tracks by bands who were up against a deadline to produce that year’s ‘contractual obligation’ album, or tracks put there by studios filling up unused space on the disk. Or (and I can’t believe such b******s can live with themselves) people who have compilations in their collections!

Edited by chebby

1 hour ago, chebby said:

It’s not a habit with me either as a lot of the content I listen to is drama and comedy and documentary in nature. Just saying that the ability to - conveniently - skip tracks was brought to us courtesy of the CD player and the remote control. Whether-or-not you choose to use it is an individual decision based on taste and/or the nature of the recording. (Gapless, live, classical, ‘concept’, drama, compilation etc. etc.)

Let’s face it, not everyone has your impeccable taste and will often find themselves with an album containing not just gems but also ‘filler’ tracks by bands who were up against a deadline to produce that year’s ‘contractual obligation’ album, or tracks put there by studios filling up unused space on the disk. Or (and I can’t believe such b******s can live with themselves) people who have compilations in their collections!

So what would you do without a remote control? If it is so bad, why just take the batteries out or put the remote control away.

Hang on there Chebs, I never claimed impeccable taste! We’ve all bought an album that should have been a single or an e.p. Then we weed those out and make compilation cd’s of the good bits. Some albums are frustrating due to having one absolute clunker somewhere in the middle. A friend of mine copied me a Gillian Welch album, but his computer decided to put the final 11 minute track first. Took me three years to overcome that!

Super Wammer

If you use a streamer to play stuff from a local NAS, you have the choice of complete works, skipping about, playlists, the whole lot.

But with choice comes a need for self control.  The format has nothing to do with that.  Get a grip!  ;)

• Upvote 1

Well I hope CDs are here for a bit longer as I only bought my first dedicated player last year and I'm really enjoying it! (I used a DVD player before). I've started buying discs again for the first time in years, mostly secondhand, but they have been great bargains and very reliable, I've only had one that was faulty but the seller fixed it by polishing the surface flat, I hadn't realised that was possible! I'm not currently into streaming however I'm tempted by the convenience of not having racks of media in my small living room but as a concept it does leave me a little cold.

Still, I think the format you use is not important, all that really matters is that you enjoy your music :)

The main thing should be sound quality. Streamers have all the convince in the world, but if you in the end don’t enjoy the music this convince is pointless .  There are not many streamers out there that can perform on level that  good CD transport can provide. Ones that do are relatively expensive.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer
16 minutes ago, mentt said:

The main thing should be sound quality. Streamers have all the convince in the world, but if you in the end don’t enjoy the music this convince is pointless .  There are not many streamers out there that can perform on level that  good CD transport can provide. Ones that do are relatively expensive.

Suggest you have a listen to a better selection of streamers, assuming you're talking about comparing a CD to a full fat rip of exactly the same CD of course.

13 minutes ago, sunbeamgls said:

Suggest you have a listen to a better selection of streamers, assuming you're talking about comparing a CD to a full fat rip of exactly the same CD of course.

Yes, I have owned number of streamers over recent years(Aries, sonore microRendu, linn accurate, lumin, Aurender to name some) only Aurender was close to good CD transport and it is due to its internal storage. It is not easy to make streaming from NAS good sounding(people try optical network isolation, battery power network switches and so on). On the other hand  CD chain is simple and easy(and relatively cheap nowadays)

Edited by mentt

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:22, Nicky said:

I still buy CDs, I like to own a physical media. When the tinterweb finally eats itself us and vinyl collectors will emerge from ruins noisily triumphant :D.  On a side note I like the commitment to the whole album that a physical media, Cd or vinyl gives me, a more relaxed frame of listening.

:^