whitehart

CD Alive and Well?

Hope not, trying to resist the streaming method of music making.

• Like 2

Some albums are not available on cd now, it is cheaper for artists not to produce them, with cd sales plummeting I see this trend continuing, cd sales in the USA are now about 10% of 2004 figure. I see hi res downloads replacing cd for HiFi users. Costs can be lower as no postage or tax if importing. Having said that there is a huge used cd market.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

The Audiolab model seems to point the way forward. It still lets you play your CDs, but does lots more besides. 

There must be billions of CDs in homes around the world and the fact some new releases may not be issued that way doesn’t mean we no longer want to play what we already own!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Even though I rarely ‘play’ them, I still need to buy CDs to rip from in most instances. My tastes simply are not catered to - on the whole - on any streaming service (nor downloads).

I wouldn’t be too pessimistic about players. You can still buy a vast array of turntables decades after vinyl was pronounced dead.

• Like 3

Super Wammer
24 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

The Audiolab model seems to point the way forward. It still lets you play your CDs, but does lots more besides. 

There must be billions of CDs in homes around the world and the fact some new releases may not be issued that way doesn’t mean we no longer want to play what we already own!

Agreed. I think Arcam’s CDS27 may offer similar. Thank goodness some manufacturers are taking note of the music many of us already own and play rather than deciding on product ranges purely on the basis of what is selling today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

There must be billions of CDs in homes around the world

...and just as many in second hand/charity shops/amazon market place at silly prices, so all the time that continues, it'll be a format I'll happy embrace :) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

There is still an argument that a low noise CDP can beat streaming (both internet and ripped variety) for sound quality.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

There is still an argument that a low noise CDP can beat streaming (both internet and ripped variety) for sound quality.

Agree. Subjective, as always, but listened yesterday to Dire straits Sultans of Swing streamed as FLAC to Marantz's USB DAC input and the remastered CD played immediately after was noticeably more dynamic and detailed to my ears ( My original 1980's Cd would have comfortably lost). Same DAC etc so true A/B. SACD offers an even great dynamic range and analogue "feel". NB I do not own a quality streamer, but bits are bits according to some! USBs generally noisy as also a power lead?

Agree whiteheart.Refreshing.

Edited by nomore landings

I still buy CDs, I like to own a physical media. When the tinterweb finally eats itself us and vinyl collectors will emerge from ruins noisily triumphant :D.  On a side note I like the commitment to the whole album that a physical media, Cd or vinyl gives me, a more relaxed frame of listening.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Yes, easiest way how get good sound is to use CD transport. Streamers that are close to CD transport sound quality are expensive. For example Aurender streamers and only if file is played from unit internal storage 

Edited by mentt

53 minutes ago, Nicky said:

On a side note I like the commitment to the whole album that a physical media, Cd or vinyl gives me, a more relaxed frame of listening.

Vinyl yes, CD no.

CD players with their remotes and the ability to skip and program easily - without leaving the listening chair - were the death of listening to a whole side of an album in one go.

Edited by chebby

Super Dealer

CD and a lossless ripped version of that cd are identical and played through the same dac will of course sound  identical.

Keith