Guzziboy

I'm closing in

As I've posted elsewhere, the Guzzi went just before Christmas. As a result I've got a bit of cash slopping around, say about £4.5 - 5k what I get trading in anything I replace. 

The LP12 will be treated to a Lingo 4 in place of the 1. As to the rest I'm thinking of an amplifier/streamer. On the basis of what I've read, here and on that other forum, the front runners for audition are the Moon Ace, the Hegel Rost and the Auralic Polaris.i can audition one a five minute walk from home, one a forty mile drive and the third I know not where. The dealer forty miles away has the brand, but the website doesn't mention the model.

Then there's the Devialet 140 if I forego the Lingo 4.

So, who's got any of the possibilities, and what do you think of them? Did you audition them against any of the other possibilities? Your input will be of great assistance.

Hope you have a better opinion of the moon than we did. My Mrs impressed the dealer no end when she ask if it was broken.

Super Wammer

In view of your present amp, would you look at a Naim streamer and amp?   Might be worth considering them as separate entities, unless you’re determined to reduce the box count.  More choice, flexibility, and less impact if a new standard comes along.  Amps haven’t really changed for years, but streaming services and bit rates are much more variable. 

2 hours ago, Guzziboy said:

As I've posted elsewhere, the Guzzi went just before Christmas. As a result I've got a bit of cash slopping around, say about £4.5 - 5k what I get trading in anything I replace. 

The LP12 will be treated to a Lingo 4 in place of the 1. As to the rest I'm thinking of an amplifier/streamer. On the basis of what I've read, here and on that other forum, the front runners for audition are the Moon Ace, the Hegel Rost and the Auralic Polaris.i can audition one a five minute walk from home, one a forty mile drive and the third I know not where. The dealer forty miles away has the brand, but the website doesn't mention the model.

Then there's the Devialet 140 if I forego the Lingo 4.

So, who's got any of the possibilities, and what do you think of them? Did you audition them against any of the other possibilities? Your input will be of great assistance.

I wouldn't bother with the Lingo - I would be more tempted to use the Heed  Orbit if you need to but IMO it does not add real value or improvement in sound.  If you have a Valhalla that is working then leave it alone.  If your Linn is pre valhalla give the Heed a whirl it may just be what you need.

As to changing your amp - what is it that you think is lacking in your current set up and what improvement do you expect to achieve?  Having identified shortcomings then you need to do your research as to what amps tick the boxes and then find a friendly dealer so you can dem them at home to make your decision.