The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

bode

Budget 2nd System

I need a set up for the office..an upgrade to my mono DAB radio! I've been away from gear talk for many years so need updating.

I'm looking for a budget set up as it will only be on in the background. I'll probably go with an Amptastic digital amp or SMSL SA-50 or AD18. I'll be playing my own FLACs and low quality internet radio streams.

But what about speakers?  I'm hearing good things about the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Bookshelf Speakers, but would happily buy something much easier to say from the UK? Any little gems out there?

I'd recommend the likes of a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds (bookshelf speaks) and the likes of a A&R Cambridge integrated amplifier, that's what I'm using with excellent results for my 2nd system in the dining room connected to a (modified) 02 Joggler.

Peter

Super Wammer

Amptastic and smsl are great little amps.
Temple audios cheap amp is better though but not much in it.I agree Wharfedale diamonds are good speakers And you can buy a new pair from richer sounds for £50

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/standmount-speakers/wharfedale-9-0-black.html

Also they have a Cambridge audio amp for £99

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-topaz-am1-blk.html

You can add a blue tooth receiver for around a tenner and stream radio or music from your phone.

Super Wammer

I put a Nobsound Amp for £40 from Amazon with a recomendation for a pair of Goodmans Maxim 2 speakers £45  from e-bay . The amp has a usb /Blue tooth and RCA inputs so covers pretty much all bases . The sound is top class for very little money .

Super Wammer
On 09/02/2019 at 00:21, bencat said:

I put a Nobsound Amp for £40 from Amazon with a recomendation for a pair of Goodmans Maxim 2 speakers £45  from e-bay . The amp has a usb /Blue tooth and RCA inputs so covers pretty much all bases . The sound is top class for very little money .

Good ideas,as good as mine and cheaper but I do wonder why they chose the name nobsound.  :D

Edited by Southeast

On 08/02/2019 at 18:18, macvisual said:

I'd recommend the likes of a pair of Wharfedale Diamonds (bookshelf speaks) and the likes of a A&R Cambridge integrated amplifier, that's what I'm using with excellent results for my 2nd system in the dining room connected to a (modified) 02 Joggler.

Peter

what about the older active diamonds or other active loudspeakers?  May be just the ticket for an office keeping everything very compact with a small pre perhaps.

Having recently heard the Douk Audio version of John Linsley Hoods  10watt class A, I dont think you can buy better sound for the money, or for a lot more money in some cases.

Google it.  Designed in 1969 to be a transistor version of a Williamson circuit, uses no fancy components, sounds great even today. Brand new one delivered for Richer Sounds money.

IF I were building a system from scratch, I'd either buy that, or go for something like a B&O hang-on-the-wall kit. The latter is expensive !

Edited by forgot-my-id
cant type