complin

The Truth About Vinyl - Vinyl vs. Digital

1 minute ago, Old Git said:

It probably is, in the listening sense, but I would refer you back to your earlier post...

Well I'm talking about the end result, ie the cd or mp3 or whatever you buy/stream. Vinyl is the end result. I'm not talking about the actual recording.

Please don't kill me for saying this...but vinyl or even CD can never be my primary source. When I grew up, our home system was a pioneer car deck. And piracy was prevalent in my place, I was too young to even consider it illegal or unethical. Me and my sister spent days together deciding which tracks we loved the most, and then splitting them into cassette sets we wanted. Much like our playlists of today. 

And then we would get them recorded onto tapes on the cheap from local recording shops. 

So I've never bought an entire album to listen to a few of my favourite tracks from them. So the same continues today with streaming. If I like something I hear, it gets added to my playlist on roon. So I can't imagine spinning a vinyl to listen to all the tracks, especially with no fast forward built in :D

42 minutes ago, bigfish786 said:

Does genre have any impact on perceived differences of digital v analog? 

I think that the difference is more noticeable with classical music.

Super Dealer
11 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Please don't kill me for saying this...but vinyl or even CD can never be my primary source. When I grew up, our home system was a pioneer car deck. And piracy was prevalent in my place, I was too young to even consider it illegal or unethical. Me and my sister spent days together deciding which tracks we loved the most, and then splitting them into cassette sets we wanted. Much like our playlists of today. 

And then we would get them recorded onto tapes on the cheap from local recording shops. 

So I've never bought an entire album to listen to a few of my favourite tracks from them. So the same continues today with streaming. If I like something I hear, it gets added to my playlist on roon. So I can't imagine spinning a vinyl to listen to all the tracks, especially with no fast forward built in :D

Just set the speed to 45.

Keith

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tuga said:

I think that the difference is more noticeable with classical music.

Surface noise during the quiet passages on classical recording kills vinyl stone stone dead for me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PuritéAudio said:

Just set the speed to 45.

Keith

Haha..thanks. Never thought about that before :)

But just asking out of ignorance. Do all TT's come with a flexible speed setting. I do understand that belt driven TT's just need a shift of belt to a different drive shaft and direct drive TT's come with a speed change button. But apart from the above two, are there any TT's that are fixed in speed.

3 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Haha..thanks. Never thought about that before :)

But just asking out of ignorance. Do all TT's come with a flexible speed setting. I do understand that belt driven TT's just need a shift of belt to a different drive shaft and direct drive TT's come with a speed change button. But apart from the above two, are there any TT's that are fixed in speed.

some you have to take the platter off to adjust speed- just call it user convenience 

1 minute ago, EddieRUKidding said:

some you have to take the platter off to adjust speed- just call it user convenience 

Great...thanks a lot Eddie...so that means when it comes to deciding on a TT. I don't have to look foolish asking the sales rep if the TT does speed change or not. Someway or the other it will do it. Some easy and some with some inconvenience. Am I right in assuming this :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muckplaster said:

So how come you can't hear the difference on an LP between a velocity of 0.509 metres per second on the outer groove and 0.196 m/s on the inner? 

QI fact: The track order on the vinyl pressing of Peter Gabriel's So album was dictated by this effect; as the linear speed reduces toward the end of an album track, the bass resolution is also reduced. "In Your Eyes" was placed at the beginning of side two on the original vinyl to ensure the deep bass could be reproduced. On the CD, it was placed at the end of side two, giving a rather more uplifting end to the album (for those of us that listen all the way through anyway ;) ).

• Like 3

A few near random thoughts.

1) Digital playback is measurably superior to vinyl playback in every way.

2) Many people, myself included, think that vinyl playback is more enjoyable, satisfying and, dare I say it, 'musical' than digital playback.

3) An awful lot of people who say that they prefer vinyl are actually listening to the sound of cheap record players. The sound that they prefer is the sound of the player, not the vinyl.

4) Musical instruments produce harmonics which gives each instrument its particular sound. Harmonic distortion can mimic those distortions and make instruments sound more real. Some record players are very good at doing just that.

5) Some very good record players minimise that effect and often sound more 'CD like'. Some enthusiasts do not like this and call such players 'cold' or 'uninvolving'. Others, like myself, prefer this presentation to the 'warmth' of other 'lesser' players.

6) Some enthusiasts, myself include, consider good quality vinyl playback to be too expensive. 

it is difficult to arrange these thoughts into an argument pro or con vinyl on a qualitative basis, however for my real world needs I simply stream all my music.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

Digital playback is measurably superior to vinyl playback in every way

It is a shame that does not translate into the quality of sound at the end of the day. 

It is about conversion of old analogue material into digital that is the problem .. also dubious digital recordings when the equipment was in its infancy.   

Anything that has been recorded digitally in theory should sound better from a digital source.  However, I am not so sure that is true.   My lad has foregone digital sources to collect all his music on vinyl and he (who is not madly into hifi just into how good it sounds or not) says it sounds better.  As a mere whipper snapper with tip top hearing (not degraded by age or years playing in bands) I have to concede to his greater aural ability :D 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, uzzy said:

It is a shame that does not translate into the quality of sound at the end of the day. 

It is about conversion of old analogue material into digital that is the problem .. also dubious digital recordings when the equipment was in its infancy.   

Anything that has been recorded digitally in theory should sound better from a digital source.  However, I am not so sure that is true.   My lad has foregone digital sources to collect all his music on vinyl and he (who is not madly into hifi just into how good it sounds or not) says it sounds better.  As a mere whipper snapper with tip top hearing (not degraded by age or years playing in bands) I have to concede to his greater aural ability :D 

Define "quality"!

This is why i deliberately used words like 'enjoyable' and 'musical'. 'Quality' and 'better' imply absolutes which simply do not exist in subjective evaluation.

Most vinyl produced in the last 40 or so years will have been digitised at some stage, if only at the cutting stage. yes I know there are exceptions, but they are quite rare. The dominant sound signature is not whether the playback is analogue or digital, it is the 'sound' of the player.