The site will be out of service again for further upgrades regarding security fixes. Work will be carried out between 4.30am and 5.30am tomorrow morning. We apologise for the inconvenience.

complin

The Truth About Vinyl - Vinyl vs. Digital

18 minutes ago, greybeard said:

So the analogue is now digitized

Yes - which means the analogue source is somehow better than the digital file. 

I am open to the idea that this is as a result of different mastering or pleasant distortion introduced in the pressing process, but to me it still sounds better.  By comparison digital downloads of the same albums sound colder, starker and glarier (if that’s a word).  

I’m not saying analogue is better than digital, I’m saying records are better (in my system and to my ears) than digital files.

Edited by jas0_0

4 minutes ago, jas0_0 said:

Yes - which means the analogue source is somehow better than the digital file. 

I am open to the idea that this is as a result of different mastering or pleasant distortion introduced in the pressing process, but to me it still sounds better.  By comparison digital downloads of the same albums sound colder, starker and glarier (if that’s a word).  

I’m not saying analogue is better than digital, I’m saying records are better (in my system and to my ears) than digital files.

What you mean is "records are sound better (in my system and to my ears) than digital files".

We are dealing with reproduction, better = more accuracy and digital is, unarguably, more accurate than vinyl.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chronicals said:

Nope, I have young fresh ears, unlike your own, so my hearing, being a musician also, its finely tuned and working much more in line with a young persons than an old, so essentially, no deafness, and elite hearing. Boom.

So how come you can't hear the difference on an LP between a velocity of 0.509 metres per second on the outer groove and 0.196 m/s on the inner? I can hear it clearly on many LPs, even with a line contact stylus. How come you can't hear the pre-echo that is also present on LPs? Can't you hear the difference in sound quality between a 7" 45 rpm single and a 12"? 

Digital will reproduce exactly the very best vinyl can do with consummate ease, and it won't have the rumbly hissy crackly background either.

Edited by Muckplaster
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, tuga said:

What you mean is "records are sound better (in my system and to my ears) than digital files".

We are dealing with reproduction, better = more accuracy and digital is, unarguably, more accurate than vinyl.

I guess it depends on whether you listen to music and want it to sound good, or to sound accurate.  I want it to sound good.  So better = sounds better.  You might want it to sound more accurate, in which case better = more accurate. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jas0_0 said:

I guess it depends on whether you listen to music and want it to sound good, or to sound accurate.  I want it to sound good.  So better = sounds better.  You might want it to sound more accurate, in which case better = more accurate. 

Can’t it be both?

• Upvote 2

Super Wammer

To me, there are no absolutes. I have vinyls that sound ‘better’ (crisper, cleaner, call it what you like) than their CD equivalent. OTOH, I have CD’s that deliver dynamics a vinyl could never achieve.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

I can hear it clearly on many LPs, even with a line contact stylus. How come you can't hear the pre-echo that is also present on LPs? Can't you hear the difference in sound quality between a 7" 45 rpm single and a 12"? 

Image result for pelosi hand clap

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

Can’t it be both?

Yes.  I just chase what I consider to be good sounding music.  It may also happen to be accurate, but it’s not my primary concern. 

Does genre have any impact on perceived differences of digital v analog? 

In the main I really don't care what the carrier is, streamed digits, CD digits are vinyl. If it is a decent recording/mastering of music I like I will enjoy listening to it. All the arguments about which is better are fairly pointless, no one is going to be converted.

Super Wammer
10 minutes ago, Old Git said:

To me, there are no absolutes. I have vinyls that sound ‘better’ (crisper, cleaner, call it what you like) than their CD equivalent. OTOH, I have CD’s that deliver dynamics a vinyl could never achieve.

This... for me anyway :) 

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

A lot of digital is not accurate. 

It probably is, in the listening sense, but I would refer you back to your earlier post...

28 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

The problem with cd/mp3 is the mastering, most are mastered for playing in a car or earphones. Digital can be great but unfortunately most of it is not well produced.

Just now, bigfish786 said:

Does genre have any impact on perceived differences of digital v analog? 

In my experience no.  Unless they’re a bad pressing, my records sound better to me than digital files whether they’re chamber music, vocal, orchestral, jazz, techno, folk or rock.