Colinjg

My First Streaming experience.

Spotify appeared to trial CD quality some time ago but I’ve all but given up on this becoming an option. 

This is a pity as we use Spotify everywhere (main home system, dining room and kitchen through Gramofons and even in our cars). We have made numerous playlists over the years and find Spotify’s interface as well as their catalogue very good.

I appreciate that Tidal and Qobuz will give better SQ but a second monthly subscription is pushing the boat out a little too far at present. Is there anyone using both out there?

• Like 1

Super Wammer
14 hours ago, TheFlash said:

What's £800 got to do with the Bluesound Node 2? £499 RRP and a couple on auction on eBay currently under £200 but will typically go for £300-350 and there are no moving parts to go wrong so buying used is low risk.

Clunky is down to personal taste and time: I was sufficiently intrigued by the pi to visit a wammer who uses one but insufficienrtly attracted by the stuff around it (software etc) to want to go there myself. There are folk who like messing with electronics and folks who don't; given colinjg has only just done the phone thing, I'm guessing he's in group. Just guessing.

And as if by magic: 

On 09/02/2019 at 17:33, Fourlegs said:

I move to Qobuz from Tidal to get away from MQA. I also use the discounted purchase option with Qobuz to purchase hi res downloads.

Thanks for the confirmation Fourlegs. Was curious to know if by any chance you find qobuz's library larger than Tidal's. As I found recently that it is either too clunky to find the tracks I want on Tidal or they are just not there. And iam talking about very popular numbers and some chart Buster's too. 

On 09/02/2019 at 12:08, Man in a van said:

Some people think £800 notes (or thereabouts) is serious money.

Trying streaming, should be done as cheaply as possible imo, and whatever is wrong with a bit of "clunky"?

@Colinjg

If you pm your address I can pop a preconfigured pi into the post for you to loan for a while.

which OS phone do you use?

ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Sorry, seemed to have missed your very kind offer.

Can I leave it at the mo, about to go away plus have a lot on .   Can I come back to you on this please.

Regards,

Colin.

Following this thread. Just bought a Majik DSM from the s/h market to add to my existing Linn setup. It will be replacing my chrome cast audio and Apple TV for the wave files I have on my computer and phone.

Fee free to send any tips to me. It won’t reach me till the 18th but I wouldn’t mind reading up already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/02/2019 at 09:29, Pedro2 said:

Spotify appeared to trial CD quality some time ago but I’ve all but given up on this becoming an option. 

This is a pity as we use Spotify everywhere (main home system, dining room and kitchen through Gramofons and even in our cars). We have made numerous playlists over the years and find Spotify’s interface as well as their catalogue very good.

I appreciate that Tidal and Qobuz will give better SQ but a second monthly subscription is pushing the boat out a little too far at present. Is there anyone using both out there?

some of the stuff on spotify is extremely good in reproduction , and such a huge choice . afraid i just stick to spotify for that reason 

myself and deggie were listening to some superb stuff on spotify through a jolida dac and a chord dac on some very very transparent speakers . lovely holographics and timbre just from spotify 

Edited by hifinutt

1 hour ago, Colinjg said:

Hi Ronnie,

Sorry, seemed to have missed your very kind offer.

Can I leave it at the mo, about to go away plus have a lot on .   Can I come back to you on this please.

Regards,

Colin.

Not a problem, give me a poke when you feel like it.

Yep I totally agree with phil [ hifinutt ] …. he was at my place for a few hours last week , 

the music just flows and totally engaging on spotify,  very enjoyable indeed and phil is fussy as any audiophool is ……… listening today to all sorts of music and its very good indeed.

On 09/02/2019 at 21:26, ChemMan said:

Absolutely.  With the introduction of the Node2i, finding a Node 2, brand new, for 300 is child's play.  

I'm somewhat surprised by the comments on here regarding Spotify.  I've tested it a number of times (free and subscribed) and it is not near as good as Tidal.  MQA or not.  My Node2 from Tidal sounds every bit as good as a CD through my Rotel CD player.

I found a Node 2i 2nd hand for 350 a few weeks ago!! Totally agree on the Spotify v Tidal thing - Tidal is absolutely streets ahead in SQ and well worth the extra outlay 

21 minutes ago, knaithrover said:

I found a Node 2i 2nd hand for 350 a few weeks ago!! Totally agree on the Spotify v Tidal thing - Tidal is absolutely streets ahead in SQ and well worth the extra outlay 

Mmmm. I’ve never actually tried Tidal as have been very happy with Spotify. I also have sh*t loads of years of playlist/collections made  

I know on paper it’s better and peeps rave about it. Maybe I should.  

I’ve just shelled out on a better streamer, so perhaps now is the time to try it. 

Do they do free hi-res trials?

13 hours ago, Amormusic said:

Mmmm. I’ve never actually tried Tidal as have been very happy with Spotify. I also have sh*t loads of years of playlist/collections made  

I know on paper it’s better and peeps rave about it. Maybe I should.  

I’ve just shelled out on a better streamer, so perhaps now is the time to try it. 

Do they do free hi-res trials?

There is a can of worms.  But they do offer their highest CD quality (about 1400 kbs) for three months free last I heard.  Their supposed hi-res is MQA.  I have sampled my CD player, Tidal CD quality, and Tidal MQA and can't say which one is "better."  They all sound a touch different but not one of them is any better than the others. To my ears that is.  I have no desire for this debate.  But I do think there is something to Meridian misrepresenting MQA as a hi-res format.  I have a few hi-res downloads and I have compared them to the CD quality on Tidal and in this case there is more of a noticeable difference.  IN case Keith is lurking about, all of this testing I do is with an SPL and my wife so it is unsighted.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

There is a can of worms.  But they do offer their highest CD quality (about 1400 kbs) for three months free last I heard.  Their supposed hi-res is MQA.  I have sampled my CD player, Tidal CD quality, and Tidal MQA and can't say which one is "better."  They all sound a touch different but not one of them is any better than the others. To my ears that is.  I have no desire for this debate.  But I do think there is something to Meridian misrepresenting MQA as a hi-res format.  I have a few hi-res downloads and I have compared them to the CD quality on Tidal and in this case there is more of a noticeable difference.  IN case Keith is lurking about, all of this testing I do is with an SPL and my wife so it is unsighted.

Yep Keith what do you think? I'm not on my my now second Tidal HQ subscription. I'm not really needing the full bitrate. I think it's Tidall....

As another Bluesound node 2 user that's tried all the free trials....um..I'm unconvinced that there's a great deal of difference in SQ, I put it down to better copies on Qobuz than anything else....the only reason I chose Qobuz is piece of mind.

Spotify works so well on Bluesound with Spotify connect, I kinda begrudge paying for other streaming services when I have to use the Bluesound app that gives me a bad search engine, feel a bit short changed to be honest. Spotify connects directly through its own easy to use app. I'll go back if they start CD quality streaming....although I'm not convinced there's much difference...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fried said:

gives me a bad search engine, feel a bit short changed to be honest.

I don't disagree in regard to Tidal. The Bluesound interface running Tidal is adequate, no more.  Tidal has recently begun providing a much more user focused platform, and it would be nice to have it through the Bluesound. 95% if my listening is through Tidal so I am happy enough, yet I can't agree that Spotify sounds as good as Tidal.  At least on my system, Spotify lacks the overall feeling, detail and scale of Tidal.  The differences are more than enough, for me,  to justify an extra 10 euros per month.

Edited by ChemMan

On 09/02/2019 at 11:30, Amormusic said:

I’ve used and been very happy with a Chromecast Audio for ages now, but been looking at a upgrade...

Was thinking of getting a BS Node2 or CA 851n, but saw a stupidly good deal on a CA CXN so just pulled the trigger on it. Ebay atm has manufacturer refurbed ones, very well priced.

Ps if anyone’s after a Node2 they should get cheaper soon as I was informed by guy in shop there’s a new one out/coming so old stock is getting sold off cheap.

CXN arrives in a few days, so hopefully it’ll be money well spent. 

I’ve now unboxed and set up the CXN. It was £450 on eBay direct from CA as a ‘refurbished’ product and comes with full 2 year warranty... Cosmetically it’s perfect with not a mark to be found. So a great deal!

And best of all it sounds stunning!!

Thought I’d mention in case anyone’s in the market for one as there are still a few on there for sale.