Colinjg

My First Streaming experience.

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Great post. Yes, I though the Yamaha kit was very smart and very good value and can't recall why I didn't pursue it myself: do they allow wired connection?

I am not interested in a Chromecast because you have to send your music over your wifi to get to it; I'm old-fashioned like that.

The picture of the back of the Yam shows a Network socket for an Ethernet cable.  

I believe there’s a way to get a wired connection to the CCA too, but I can’t see the point, unless your Wi-fi is very weak.  It’s not really for sending over your own music (though again I think there’s a way to attach a NAS), but for streaming itself - you controlling it with an iThing or Android app.  

Super Wammer
5 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

The picture of the back of the Yam shows a Network socket for an Ethernet cable.  

I believe there’s a way to get a wired connection to the CCA too, but I can’t see the point, unless your Wi-fi is very weak.  It’s not really for sending over your own music (though again I think there’s a way to attach a NAS), but for streaming itself - you controlling it with an iThing or Android app.  

Cool. If the Yam is connected then it's great.

I don't want to reopen the debate I had when checking out streamer/DACs and eventually homing on the Bluesound Node 2 but, philosophically if for no other reason, I don't personally want my music being transmitted over wifi. Control yes, music no. That's one reason this Arcam fanboy quickly ruled out the rPlay: you have to stream over wifi from a device like a phone or tablet. Ditto the Chromecast. It's not about having strong or weak wifi for me. There are plenty of options where you can send music from a router to a streamer and connected to that router can be a computer and/or NAS so you can stream anything you want wiredly (?) not wirelessly. There are plenty of ethernet-connected streamers to choose from.

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

There are plenty of ethernet-connected streamers to choose from.

Absolutely, and interestingly Linn espouse wired connections on their DS range of streamers. Wireless isn’t an option!  

When I got my Sneaky DS I had to run a CAT cable from the hallway to the living room to connect it.  The disadvantage of this for some is if they are forced to use power line/ Ethernet over mains thingies, as they cause their own issues and aren’t completely reliable ime. 

9 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

I move to Qobuz from Tidal to get away from MQA. I also use the discounted purchase option with Qobuz to purchase hi res downloads.

There is no escaping MQA, Qobuz have inadvertently let it sneak in the back door!:o

Super Wammer

Haha. Good try. 

3 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

Haha. Good try. 

I’m not making this up!

It’s currently under investigation on AudiophileStyle (formally Computer Audiophile) Link

Looks like at least one label has been submitting MQA files to Qobuz to stream.

Super Wammer
37 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I am sat here at the moment in our kitchen with a pint of Carter Roger listening through a CCA set up as an end point in Roon streaming music from my ripped files on the Zenith in another room. It works very well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

What's £800 got to do with the Bluesound Node 2? £499 RRP and a couple on auction on eBay currently under £200 but will typically go for £300-350 and there are no moving parts to go wrong so buying used is low risk.

Absolutely.  With the introduction of the Node2i, finding a Node 2, brand new, for 300 is child's play.  

I'm somewhat surprised by the comments on here regarding Spotify.  I've tested it a number of times (free and subscribed) and it is not near as good as Tidal.  MQA or not.  My Node2 from Tidal sounds every bit as good as a CD through my Rotel CD player.

• Like 1

Super Wammer
29 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Absolutely, and interestingly Linn espouse wired connections on their DS range of streamers. Wireless isn’t an option!  

When I got my Sneaky DS I had to run a CAT cable from the hallway to the living room to connect it.  The disadvantage of this for some is if they are forced to use power line/ Ethernet over mains thingies, as they cause their own issues and aren’t completely reliable ime. 

Honestly, if the only way I could get ethernet to my streamer was via my mains, I'd use wifi instead!

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
21 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I am sat here at the moment in our kitchen with a pint of Carter Roger listening through a CCA set up as an end point in Roon streaming music from my ripped files on the Zenith in another room. It works very well

What does? The Carta Roja? Your post-no-deal-Brexit anglicised spelling noted!

Super Wammer
15 minutes ago, ChemMan said:

Absolutely.  With the introduction of the Node2i, finding a Node 2, brand new, for 300 is child's play.  

I'm somewhat surprised by the comments on here regarding Spotify.  I've tested it a number of times (free and subscribed) and it is not near as good as Tidal.  MQA or not.  My Node2 from Tidal sounds every bit as good as a CD through my Rotel CD player.

When you heard the free version you heard 128kbps; when you heard subscribed, are you sure you heard 320kbps?

Regardless, we know Tidal and Qobuz provide better SQ than Spotify. How much this matters depends on how one uses it: I use Spotify to audition music, not as a primary source. I'm not going to spend £20 a month on this, but if I ever decide to rent my music rather than buy it (unlikely, I'm old-fashioned) and sell the CDs and vinyl then I'd use one of the lossless services for sure.

Cool to hear you're still in Bluesound Node 2 land. Nice testimonial.

I recently sent an audio friend a spare Squeezebox Duet to be bastardised and transformed into a homemade valve Transport. Looking forward to slotting it into my hifi system within next few months or so.

44 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

When you heard the free version you heard 128kbps; when you heard subscribed, are you sure you heard 320kbps?

yes, via the node, I had my wife sign in as she is a subscriber and we found the "settings."

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, ChemMan said:

yes, via the node, I had my wife sign in as she is a subscriber and we found the "settings."

Nice one, some folk miss that. The difference from Tidal would have been even greater vs free/128 of course. Glad you’re enjoying Tidal, Bluesound and the rest of your new system. 👍