Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

Colinjg

My First Streaming experience.

Check out a 'Squeezebox Duet' as a digital streamer, very cheap/versatile, I've been using this as my main digital source for many years, I use a separate basic Notebook laptop to access the Squeezebox server, access to any digital radio stations throughout the Globe and I use a 3TB separate hdd to access my vast music library etc...

Peter

Edited by macvisual
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, macvisual said:

Check out a 'Squeezebox Duet' as a digital streamer, very cheap/versatile, I've been using this as my main digital source for many years, I use a separate basic Notebook laptop to access the Squeezebox server, access to any digital radio stations throughout the Globe and I use a 3TB separate hdd to access my vast music library etc...

Peter

54 minutes ago, Pedro2 said:

The Squeezebox Duet was an amazing piece of kit and incredible value for money.  It took serious money to better it!

I agree it was a fabulous, and indeed in its time game-changing, piece of kit. However, it doesn't take serious money to better it. After a good few years of Squeezebox Duet into Arcam iRDAC, I switched to a Bluesound Node 2 which I continue to enjoy using its internal DAC. Highly recommended. Something like £300 pre-owned on the 'bay.

The Node 2 was chosen after extensive exchanges and valuable advice on this hallowed forum (at the time the main competition was the Auralic Aries). I did not do a back-to-back comparison but to my ears the SQ of the Node2 is at least as good as the Duet/iRDAC combo (which is better than the Duet's internal DAC IMHO).

I love the BluOS control app running on my iPad which allows me to control playback far more easily and intuitively than iPeng. As well as using Spotify (or Tidal, Qobuz, etc for those with bigger bank balances) and streaming music from my 6TB NAS, I can readily access internet stations like the excellent and aforementioned Radio Paradise.

As a cost-effective next generation streamer, the Bluesound Node 2 makes a lot of sense. It might not compete with Innuos Zens and the like (though I've never compared them directly) but in bang-for-buck terms it is absolutely up there.

Sorry to take the thread slightly off topic. Iam using tidal via roon in my system. And find that a lot tracks iam looking for are not available, or too difficult to find. 

I have never tried Qobuz before. And hadn't considered it either. But with roon now supporting Qobuz, iam curious. Does Qobuz have a larger music library than Tidal by any chance. 

I will not venture to ask which of the two sound better though :D

Super Wammer
3 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Sorry to take the thread slightly off topic. Iam using tidal via roon in my system. And find that a lot tracks iam looking for are not available, or too difficult to find. 

I have never tried Qobuz before. And hadn't considered it either. But with roon now supporting Qobuz, iam curious. Does Qobuz have a larger music library than Tidal by any chance. 

I will not venture to ask which of the two sound better though :D

Calling @Fourlegs: are you receiving?

22 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Calling @Fourlegs: are you receiving?

Thanks for helping out Flash :)

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Thanks for helping out Flash :)

No probs. Nick moved from TIdal to Qobuz so should have something apposite (great word) to add.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheFlash said:

I agree it was a fabulous, and indeed in its time game-changing, piece of kit. However, it doesn't take serious money to better it. After a good few years of Squeezebox Duet into Arcam iRDAC, I switched to a Bluesound Node 2 which I continue to enjoy using its internal DAC. Highly recommended. Something like £300 pre-owned on the 'bay.

The Node 2 was chosen after extensive exchanges and valuable advice on this hallowed forum (at the time the main competition was the Auralic Aries). I did not do a back-to-back comparison but to my ears the SQ of the Node2 is at least as good as the Duet/iRDAC combo (which is better than the Duet's internal DAC IMHO).

I love the BluOS control app running on my iPad which allows me to control playback far more easily and intuitively than iPeng. As well as using Spotify (or Tidal, Qobuz, etc for those with bigger bank balances) and streaming music from my 6TB NAS, I can readily access internet stations like the excellent and aforementioned Radio Paradise.

As a cost-effective next generation streamer, the Bluesound Node 2 makes a lot of sense. It might not compete with Innuos Zens and the like (though I've never compared them directly) but in bang-for-buck terms it is absolutely up there.

12 hours ago, radiant red said:

I recall the green and black pages in the Hifi mags and ordering stuff from them in the early 80’s by putting a cheque in the envelope with an order lol.

internet has enhanced the experience of buying and hindered at the same time and internet means you could trade with little or no overheads from your garage lol.

Tottenham Court Road was the HIFI version of Carnaby street in Fashion in the 70’s and 80’s

Maybe I should have said, it took ME a serious amount of money to better it as I went from a squeebox touch (I upgraded the duet) to a Linn Majik. Didn’t plan to buy the Linn however as I went into the shop to buy a new amp (Rega or Naim). 

• Like 1

Super Wammer

I guess my advice to anyone wanting to try streaming one step up from their phone would be to look at a Bluesound Node 2 or Auralic Aries Mini as a streamer+DAC before diving into serious money streamers and/or DACs.

I may add a separate DAC into the mix at some point, as that is bound to be the limiting factor in SQ if you seek the very best , but I can't see myself moving on from the Node 2 as a streamer (take the DAC out of the equation and I reckon a streamer is a streamer is a streamer, right?) and the excellent BluOS control app.

Don't flame me , Squeezebox lovers, as I speak from experience of several years of ownership and a career in IT, but I can't see why anyone starting out on streaming today would want to buy a Squeezebox, set up Logitech Media Server, etc... it doesn't require technical skills, it's just clunky.

1 hour ago, TheFlash said:

I guess my advice to anyone wanting to try streaming one step up from their phone would be to look at a Bluesound Node 2 or Auralic Aries Mini as a streamer+DAC before diving into serious money streamers and/or DACs.

I may add a separate DAC into the mix at some point, as that is bound to be the limiting factor in SQ if you seek the very best , but I can't see myself moving on from the Node 2 as a streamer (take the DAC out of the equation and I reckon a streamer is a streamer is a streamer, right?) and the excellent BluOS control app.

Don't flame me , Squeezebox lovers, as I speak from experience of several years of ownership and a career in IT, but I can't see why anyone starting out on streaming today would want to buy a Squeezebox, set up Logitech Media Server, etc... it doesn't require technical skills, it's just clunky.

I’ve used and been very happy with a Chromecast Audio for ages now, but been looking at a upgrade...

Was thinking of getting a BS Node2 or CA 851n, but saw a stupidly good deal on a CA CXN so just pulled the trigger on it. Ebay atm has manufacturer refurbed ones, very well priced.

Ps if anyone’s after a Node2 they should get cheaper soon as I was informed by guy in shop there’s a new one out/coming so old stock is getting sold off cheap.

CXN arrives in a few days, so hopefully it’ll be money well spent. 

• Like 2

Super Wammer
15 hours ago, TheFlash said:

No probs. Nick moved from TIdal to Qobuz so should have something apposite (great word) to add.

I move to Qobuz from Tidal to get away from MQA. I also use the discounted purchase option with Qobuz to purchase hi res downloads.

2 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Some people think £800 notes (or thereabouts) is serious money.

Trying streaming, should be done as cheaply as possible imo, and whatever is wrong with a bit of "clunky"?

@Colinjg

If you pm your address I can pop a preconfigured pi into the post for you to loan for a while.

which OS phone do you use?

ronnie

• Upvote 1

I’ve been thinking of the streaming price ‘hierarchy’ for a couple of weeks, prompted by the announcement that the Chromecast Audio was being discontinued. 

Aside from the secondhand only Squeezebox Touch - which I cut my streaming teeth on, and as The Flash says isn’t all that convenient although tweakable if that floats your boat - there are a few streamers that fit below the Bluesound and Auralic models:- 

Yamaha WXAD-10, RRP £150 but often discounted. A favourite in Hifi Choice magazine.  

Yamaha WXC-50, £299, often £50 off.  A preamp too.  

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/index.html

Marantz NA6006, matches the popular budget amp and CD player. RRP £549, but £200 off at Sevenoaks, hence undercutting the Bluesound. 

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/c-265-musicstreamers.aspx#pgnum=1&sort=lowhigh

Pioneer N-series streamers, in 30, 50, and 70 grades.  RRP £399 upwards.

There are also various streaming receivers and combined CD player/streamer devices available under £500. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, Man in a van said:

Some people think £800 notes (or thereabouts) is serious money.

Trying streaming, should be done as cheaply as possible imo, and whatever is wrong with a bit of "clunky"?

@Colinjg

If you pm your address I can pop a preconfigured pi into the post for you to loan for a while.

which OS phone do you use?

ronnie

What's £800 got to do with the Bluesound Node 2? £499 RRP and a couple on auction on eBay currently under £200 but will typically go for £300-350 and there are no moving parts to go wrong so buying used is low risk.

Clunky is down to personal taste and time: I was sufficiently intrigued by the pi to visit a wammer who uses one but insufficienrtly attracted by the stuff around it (software etc) to want to go there myself. There are folk who like messing with electronics and folks who don't; given colinjg has only just done the phone thing, I'm guessing he's in group. Just guessing.

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I’ve been thinking of the streaming price ‘hierarchy’ for a couple of weeks, prompted by the announcement that the Chromecast Audio was being discontinued. 

Aside from the secondhand only Squeezebox Touch - which I cut my streaming teeth on, and as The Flash says isn’t all that convenient although tweakable if that floats your boat - there are a few streamers that fit below the Bluesound and Auralic models:- 

Yamaha WXAD-10, RRP £150 but often discounted. A favourite in Hifi Choice magazine.  

Yamaha WXC-50, £299, often £50 off.  A preamp too.  

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/index.html

Marantz NA6006, matches the popular budget amp and CD player. RRP £549, but £200 off at Sevenoaks, hence undercutting the Bluesound. 

https://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/c-265-musicstreamers.aspx#pgnum=1&sort=lowhigh

Pioneer N-series streamers, in 30, 50, and 70 grades.  RRP £399 upwards.

There are also various streaming receivers and combined CD player/streamer devices available under £500. 

Great post. Yes, I though the Yamaha kit was very smart and very good value and can't recall why I didn't pursue it myself: do they allow wired connection?

I am not interested in a Chromecast because you have to send your music over your wifi to get to it; I'm old-fashioned like that.

Edited by TheFlash