Colinjg

My First Streaming experience.

Not wanting to be left behind by modern technology, I thought I would splash out big time on a streamer.

So I downloaded the Free version of Spotify and plugged my phone  into my Preamp. How exciting!

Verdict: Not great, but not totally terrible. Not Hifi but probably better than most people listen to at home.

OK  (a)  if you are playing it in the sitting room but are in the kitchen.

(b) if you like adverts between tracks.

(c) if the like mystery playlists

Back to some Vinyl.

Just my 2 cents. Spend $15 on a chrome cast audio and it will probably improve your streaming experience two fold.

Also check your Spotify settings for playback and download. Set the music quality to extreme and you’ll see a major difference. It’s still only 320 mp3 quality but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Super Wammer

Be quick if you want a Chromecast as Google have discontinued them. List price £30 in UK. 

Be quick if you want a Chromecast as Google have discontinued them. List price £30 in UK. 

That’s true. If you do buy it buy the power adapter that takes the internet cable connection too. That’s what costs $15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Wammer
6 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Not wanting to be left behind by modern technology, I thought I would splash out big time on a streamer.

So I downloaded the Free version of Spotify and plugged my phone  into my Preamp. How exciting!

Verdict: Not great, but not totally terrible. Not Hifi but probably better than most people listen to at home.

OK  (a)  if you are playing it in the sitting room but are in the kitchen.

(b) if you like adverts between tracks.

(c) if the like mystery playlists

Back to some Vinyl.

That’s a bit like saying I played an LP on a Crossley record player and wasn’t impressed. 

Edited by Nopiano
Typo
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 4

Thanks guys.  i think the free version of Spot is only 100 and something kbps.

I was only really trying it to see what would happen, It is actually probably better than I thought it would be.

7 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

Thanks guys.  i think the free version of Spot is only 100 and something kbps.

I was only really trying it to see what would happen, It is actually probably better than I thought it would be.

You've gone further than me Colin, plugging it into your  preamp. I bluetooth Spotify and youtube from my laptop to the soundbase under the t.v. , I use it to check out stuff people have recommended on here.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lower bullens said:

You've gone further than me Colin, plugging it into your  preamp. I bluetooth Spotify and youtube from my laptop to the soundbase under the t.v. , I use it to check out stuff people have recommended on here.

I might use it for that but I only have a few playlists on the free version. I cannot search, at least I don't think I can.  The free version is a teaser to get you to sign up.

I might look at what I should sign up to and i would need at bit more quality. But I like the idea of using it to trial things.

I will try YouTube and see what the quality is like,  I hadn't  thought of that.  Thanks.

Spotify Premium (about a tenner a month) sounds rather good played through a top notch streamer (that has Spotify Connect built in) and a pair of quality active speakers. I've got to say that Spotify is used over 70% of the time now in our household.  The rest of the time is either internet radio (25%) and very occasionally, I'll stream from a network attached  storage device that holds CD rips in FLAC. Once in a blue moon, I'll stream something in HD from the NAS but I never bought that much as I didn't think the additional cost over CD was worth it in terms of sound quality improvements.

Just noticed that you've got an LP12 so you'll know what Linn think about digital music reproduction!

• Like 1

Super Wammer

Can I make a suggestion get the Radio Paradise App on your phone set it to Flac quality and play that through your pre . Yes I know it is a radio station and you can not choose tracks but the quality is very good and there are no adverts so you can get a flavour of what streaming quality can be . I love the varied choice of music and with the App there are differnt streams (mellow , rock and groovy) which all offer different playlists . Try it you never know you might like it , oh and of course unless you want to donate this is free.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bencat said:

Can I make a suggestion get the Radio Paradise App on your phone set it to Flac quality and play that through your pre . Yes I know it is a radio station and you can not choose tracks but the quality is very good and there are no adverts so you can get a flavour of what streaming quality can be . I love the varied choice of music and with the App there are differnt streams (mellow , rock and groovy) which all offer different playlists . Try it you never know you might like it , oh and of course unless you want to donate this is free.

Yep got that , FLAC :^

57 minutes ago, bencat said:

Radio Paradise playing through phone and system as we speak. You are right it sounds very decent, even through a phone. Thanks

Super Wammer

How's your phone connected to the pre?

1 hour ago, Colinjg said:

I might use it for that but I only have a few playlists on the free version. I cannot search, at least I don't think I can.  The free version is a teaser to get you to sign up.

I might look at what I should sign up to and i would need at bit more quality. But I like the idea of using it to trial things.

I will try YouTube and see what the quality is like,  I hadn't  thought of that.  Thanks.

On free version you should be able to search (I own a small gym and the guys on duty use free version I think as there are ads every 10-15 mins). I pay my tenner a month and stream at 320kbps (it's just a slider button on your settings). I've heard HD elsewhere but I have to say I'm more than happy with the sound quality Spotify can deliver; 320kbps shouldn't sound quite this good so hats off to Ogg Vorbis (whoever she was).

I use it at home to audition stuff I've read about - new releases and other music - and if I really like something after 2-3 listens then I'll buy the CD or, rarely, vinyl.

I'm also a Radio Paradise fan but haven't listened for a few weeks so thanks to Andrew @bencat for the nudge.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

How's your phone connected to the pre?

On free version you should be able to search (I own a small gym and the guys on duty use free version I think as there are ads every 10-15 mins). I pay my tenner a month and stream at 320kbps (it's just a slider button on your settings). I've heard HD elsewhere but I have to say I'm more than happy with the sound quality Spotify can deliver; 320kbps shouldn't sound quite this good so hats off to Ogg Vorbis (whoever she was).

I use it at home to audition stuff I've read about - new releases and other music - and if I really like something after 2-3 listens then I'll buy the CD or, rarely, vinyl.

I'm also a Radio Paradise fan but haven't listened for a few weeks so thanks to Andrew @bencat for the nudge.

I have a lead from the headphone output that splits into a left and right phono.  Seems to work quite well.

Super Wammer
7 minutes ago, Colinjg said:

I have a lead from the headphone output that splits into a left and right phono.  Seems to work quite well.

Cool. Sorry, I typed that question and then checked your original post... and forgot to delete the Q. 9_9

Good, just checking it wasn't bluetooth!

All the best,

Nigel

• Like 1