v1nn1e

The Hi-Fi Pub (Cafe, Restaurant...)

Reading about Superfi reminded me of something I was thinking of the other day about auditioning and the high street.

Maybe the Hi-Fi auditioning experience should be separated off from the actual sale of the goods and instead be included in selling a leisure experience, of which listening to hi-fi kit was part.

So you go there to enjoy food and drink and you can listen to some hi-fi kit as well. If there was a chain of pubs/restaurants they could circulate a range of kit around their sites from month to month.

If you come across something you like, you go home and buy it from an e-tailer.

Perhaps a loyalty points scheme could also provide a side benefit of borrowing kit for home demo.

OK, maybe this has been tried before...?

Just a wild idea really - comments...? :/

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me but unfortunately I doubt there are enough  weirdo's   Audiophiles around  to make it a profitable enterprise, it would be great fun and a good way to socialize.

Dealers have been having open evenings with food a drink for many years but as population of enthusiasts shrinks so does the the HiFI  market and the potential of sales .

It's a real shame .:(

Edited by Electro

Super Wammer

There is already such a place in london like that, here is their website

http://spiritland.com/about/

1 minute ago, Southeast said:

There is already such a place in london like that, here is their website

http://spiritland.com/about/

The thing with Spiritland in King's Cross is that no amount of telling the screenagers to shut up and crunch their granola and poached quince more quietly lets you hear the stereo properly. I haven't been to the one in the Festival Hall yet but I expect the space in one of my favourite spaces in the entire world could be put to better use.

Super Wammer

Good points.

14 hours ago, v1nn1e said:

Reading about Superfi reminded me of something I was thinking of the other day about auditioning and the high street.

Maybe the Hi-Fi auditioning experience should be separated off from the actual sale of the goods and instead be included in selling a leisure experience, of which listening to hi-fi kit was part.

So you go there to enjoy food and drink and you can listen to some hi-fi kit as well. If there was a chain of pubs/restaurants they could circulate a range of kit around their sites from month to month.

If you come across something you like, you go home and buy it from an e-tailer.

Perhaps a loyalty points scheme could also provide a side benefit of borrowing kit for home demo.

OK, maybe this has been tried before...?

Just a wild idea really - comments...? :/

Great idea , except that sadly the General Public are completely disinterested in hi-fi.
The majority of people are not & will never be interested in well reproduced music.
Back a few decades when it was third in priority after a house & a car a hifi had bragging value but now it means nothing.
Owning good hifi has no cachet.

Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, Von Krolock said:

Great idea , except that sadly the General Public are completely disinterested in hi-fi.
The majority of people are not & will never be interested in well reproduced music.
Back a few decades when it was third in priority after a house & a car a hifi had bragging value but now it means nothing.
Owning good hifi has no cachet.

Why do you think it has become that way?

Super Wammer

Having been to Spititland in Kings Cross, the concept sounds great on paper, but it's not the sort of place your going to  enjoy your music with a pint of bitter and a bag of crisps. Craft beer, wine and gourmet food are what your going to find and at the very highest London prices  When I visited with a non-hifi mate, it was trendy 30 somethings sitting at the tables doing work on their Mac's with background music barely audible. This was at lunchtime, so not the best time and a quick scan of the itinerary for the day pointed towards some album playing  on the main system in the early evening. I now work only 4 tube stops from the venue and plan to pop in after work so that I can see what the magnificent looking main system sounds like :) 

Other Wammers have been there and commented here before:

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/125389-pilgrimage-to-spiritland-today/?tab=comments#comment-2174896

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/95567-does-your-local-pub-use-valve-amps-and-tannoy-westminsters/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-1766838

Our Japanese brothers seem to be the only ones to embrace the concept who and even what I've seen are niche hifi, jazz, whisky orientated with small and intimate, surroundings, something Spiritland really isn't...

Would these work here in the UK? I'm not sure they would and that is a real shame...

• Upvote 1

Anyone heard the system at Brilliant Corners in Dalston?

http://brilliantcornerslondon.co.uk/

Edited by jas0_0

Oooh, interesting. 

I must try and get up to spiritland.

I think there are some good points made. To make it economically viable it's got to appeal to more than just hi fi ers, whether music and the food and drink is enough is hard to say. A top end turntable and with the vinyl resurgence,  that might help. 

Would these work here in the UK? I'm not sure they would and that is a real shame...

Not after some oiks have thown up all over the valve amp, kicked in the speakers and stolen the computer on match-day.

Edited by chebby
  • Haha 1

I think there’s a bit of resurgence in hifi  interest among ‘hipsters’, probably fuelled by the vinyl revival and a love of all things vintage.  Several bars around me in east London proudly advertise their audiophile sound systems, safe in the knowledge that they don’t attract the Jagermeister puke brigade.

There was even a pop-up Japanese-style listening cafe with an EAR/Tannoy system.  

Here’s hoping, there’s more.

15 hours ago, bobovox said:

The thing with Spiritland in King's Cross is that no amount of telling the screenagers to shut up and crunch their granola and poached quince more quietly lets you hear the stereo properly. I haven't been to the one in the Festival Hall yet but I expect the space in one of my favourite spaces in the entire world could be put to better use.

Whereabouts in the Festival Hall is this?

I was disappointed the last time I went to Spiritland- I went specifically to hear the 6 o’clock album which they play on the Kazuma tt. I felt they could have made much more of an event out of this - a short introduction to the album chosen perhaps - but biggest issue was that the volume remained at background listening levels. 

If you want to hear what this system can really do then you need to go mid to late evening for the dj sets when sound levels are higher. The clarity and particularly the effortless bass are really something.