plasticpenguin

Aside from your own system...

... what other combinations have impressed you the most?

Back in the early naughties I heard an AVI Laboratory series amp and CD player. Can't remember the speakers, probably AVI's own Neutrons. That was a wicked combo.

Another was Roksan Caspian M series pre/power amp with Wilson Benesch Arc speakers.

If only I had the money and space at the time.

Edited by plasticpenguin

Myrman's system (I think) from 4-5 years ago, if I remember rightly, with that fantastic far eastern valve amp and Zingali's, fronted by an Oracle Delphi - very impressive.

Systemdek ref turntable with Audio Origami arm,  big Mac amp & ART speakers was very impressive.
One dealer demo from many years ago that sticks in the memory was a Gyro /Krell/ Sonus faber combo - wonderful imaging.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My brother-in-law's Naim/PMC setup is very enjoyable, as is my other brother-in-law's NAD system from the late 1980s. The latter is only entry-level stuff but it still sounds far better than it has any right to!

I heard many great systems when I was reviewing on a full-time basis but one setup in the Hi-Fi World listening room that really sticks in my brain was the SME10A turntable, Ortofon Rondo Bronze cartridge, Luxman L-550A amplifier and Mowgan Audio Mabon loudspeakers.

• Like 1

Super Wammer

My mate Ken, liverustman on here, system is very enjoyable Quad 2905 speakers, Quad 11 80 amps, Garrard 401 with conqueror tonearm, and Kiseki purple heart cartridge, into a Lavardin phonostage.

Super Wammer

Well I have to say this because it is the reason I decided I wanted to become involved in active work . TonyJ and Ed's system that they had at Harrogate in 2017 . The speakers were TonyJ home brew using Lowther Drives Coupled to a large Bass unit , I know they had a DsPeaker Anticore unit involved but i could not tell you the amplifier except it was an intergrated with an odd shape a bit like a pair of lips . Did not have anything like the time I wanted to listen to it but was really impressed how immmediate it sounded in a very odd shaped room .

While I was not convinced that it was better than my current system at that time there we elements of that sound that was much better than what I was listening too .

Edited by bencat
  • Like 3

I really enjoyed Sera's system ( @flak monkey ) from last Scalford show. These AE2s still haunting me. 

• Like 2

James' (JamPal) at Scalford '17 , can't remember the source but he had an Accuphase amp and it was the speakers ,Triangles great sound .

• Like 1

I have to say I enjoy them all - it is fascinating to listen to different systems and understanding why someone chose items etc.  The thing is to keep and open mind and to appreciate things we may not choose for ourselves :peace:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bazzer said:

James' (JamPal) at Scalford '17 , can't remember the source but he had an Accuphase amp and it was the speakers ,Triangles great sound .

Accuphase is pure hi-fi envy. :x

Super Wammer

Again Scalford 17, 2 guys Gabriel & Conrad had a room, source was a DCS Purcell &  an sl10, the amp was a MasterSound 845ref integrated. The speakers were Conrad own design which he was promoting in the hope of generating sales. I returned to that room several tes and just sat there for ages each time totally immersed in the gorgeous sound they were making. 

A sound I've been trying to recreate ever since. 

Edited by Lurch

Peter Q's system in his home. All Audionote (some not released) but a shade expensive. Did sound nice though.

• Like 1

Steve57's DIY'd speakers. Not just his current ones, also his previous efforts.

And him and Nick Gorham (Longdog Audio) have made some fine SET amps.

For the money, the Urei speakers that have featured at recent Scalford and Kegworth shows were great. Really really nice sounding system for c £700.

Coming to think of it, there have been a few Scalford and Kegworth systems that I've thought were equally good as anything I've heard (taking into account show conditions)....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lindsayt said:

Steve57's DIY'd speakers

oh yes , his latest , fantastic , heard them at Harrogate and Kegworth

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
10 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

... what other combinations have impressed you the most?

Back in the early naughties I heard an AVI Laboratory series amp and CD player. Can't remember the speakers, probably AVI's own Neutrons. That was a wicked combo.

Another was Roksan Caspian M series pre/power amp with Wilson Benesch Arc speakers.

If only I had the money and space at the time.

Great idea for a conversation. However, if we are tempted to go back too far in time then we must remember nostalgia is not what it used to be...

I've owned four pairs of ProAcs, The first were Studio 125 which were stunning on vocals, more like a BBC-style monitor than a ported floorstander. They didn't rock so after a few years I swithced to Studio 140... but lost in the mids what I had gained in the bass. The ProAc D30R... the  D30RS.

Recently a pair of mint 125's came up on the classifieds; pricey but perfect. I was going to be in Kendal so did the 6 hour round trip to Glasgow and handed over my £600. On first listen, the highs were not as crisp as the D30RS ribbons, mids were nice but not as magical as I remembered, and the bass, which I had remembered as weak, was if anything too strong!

The good news is that listened to over the longer term and not in direct A-B comparison, they're lovely. But they're not quite as lovely as I remember them being. Nostalgia? probably a good dose of it. A more experienced and discerning ear? I'd like to think so!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1