Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

LAST MINUTE WAM HIFI SHOW AVAILABILITY - ONLY A FEW EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 5 SLEEP ONLY ROOMS LEFT - ONLY 3 BIG SYSTEM SPACES LEFT

plasticpenguin

Aside from your own system...

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, plasticpenguin said:

TBH, it's up to the individual to decide how far they go back. We all have a craving for nostalgia on occasions. That's why I said early naughties (circa 2001/2), when I heard the AVIs. At the time I had the Arcam Alpha 7R and Rotel CDP and Wharfedale speakers.

Of course, I was just point out that if each upgrade we have done genuinely was an upgrade then going back to one's first or second system is unlikely to provide the same quality you're used to today and may or may not provide the same listening pleasure you remember.

The vintage Pioneer system I built up and reluctantly sold last year after exhibiting at Kegworth was fabulous to my ears; lumpy frequency response, less clarity than I'm used to, etc etc but it just made me smile every time I heard it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Of course, I was just point out that if each upgrade we have done genuinely was an upgrade then going back to one's first or second system is unlikely to provide the same quality you're used to today and may or may not provide the same listening pleasure you remember.

The vintage Pioneer system I built up and reluctantly sold last year after exhibiting at Kegworth was fabulous to my ears; lumpy frequency response, less clarity than I'm used to, etc etc but it just made me smile every time I heard it.

One of my first system contained a Pioneer SA-706 amp, which I kept for 17 years until it fell to pieces. I loved it but it didn't compare with the AVI Lab series or the Caspian pre-/power/WB combo. They were a real revelation to me at the time and left an indelible mark.

Suppose the point I was making was I'm easy when it comes to how far one goes back.:^

A Logic DM101 with Mission 774 arm and MC cart and those Mission Amps with.. er Mission on them. Fabulous sound.

Made the KEF Cantor 2's, I bought, sound better than the hateful Celestion SL6. Much to the chagrin of the guy who was demo-ing(sic).

What t/t did I  buy 2 years later? An LP12. Folly of youth.

Edited by lazycat

On 08/02/2019 at 13:54, bencat said:

Well I have to say this because it is the reason I decided I wanted to become involved in active work . TonyJ and Ed's system that they had at Harrogate in 2017 . The speakers were TonyJ home brew using Lowther Drives Coupled to a large Bass unit , I know they had a DsPeaker Anticore unit involved but i could not tell you the amplifier except it was an intergrated with an odd shape a bit like a pair of lips . Did not have anything like the time I wanted to listen to it but was really impressed how immmediate it sounded in a very odd shaped room .

While I was not convinced that it was better than my current system at that time there we elements of that sound that was much better than what I was listening too .

Thanks for that Andrew - glad you appreciated the system! Given the quality of some of the other systems at Harrogate, including yours, I take that as a massive compliment! :notworthy:

The speakers were actually factory built Lowther Bicor 200 cabinets that I had bought without drivers and fitted with a pair of Lowther PM2C drive units - about 98dB/Watt sensitivity. The amp was an Audio Innovations Alto. We used Ed's BK sub and DSPeaker Antimode unit. As you say, it was remarkable how good it sounded in that very odd shaped room.

I still use the Lowther driven by an Audiolab 8000a amp, and still have the Alto amp and it's matching CD player - pure eye candy:

s-l1600.jpg

(Not my photo!)

Edited by Tony_J

Super Wammer

For me, it was hearing my first MC cart (Mayware MC 2C or 2V) in a system in the Music Room in Glasgow in 19 God knows when together with its matching transformer. It was a back to back demo with an MM I can’t  remember. Interesting because I came across the very same cart in a box of tricks I must have hidden away during a house move or something and I feel I must try it again though of course my system is nothing like it was in the early 80s.

Otherwise the most gobsmacking moment i had from the past was hearing a pair of 989s at a show in Edinburgh and wondering how I could afford them and get them in the house! Heard another pair about 20 years later and still hankered for them.

Heard a full Audiopax set up in an Edinburgh show, 2004.  I had to be dragged from the room.  There's every chance I could still be there listening to it now had I been left alone.  Truly memorable.

• Like 1

One of the best systems I remember listening to was at a hifi show in the mid 80's (?) The Cornflake Shop were demonstrating the new Roksan TT with a cheap Mission arm, cheap AT cartridge, a Nait 1 into the original Wharfedale Diamonds which were encased in stands which cost more than the speakers. Santana's Abraxas sounded sublime.

Just remembered another one - The massive Wharfedale Option 1's

6 hours ago, rabidlistener said:

Just remembered another one - The massive Wharfedale Option 1's

Never heard of Wharfedale Option 1.

On 10/02/2019 at 19:38, Tony_J said:

Thanks for that Andrew - glad you appreciated the system! Given the quality of some of the other systems at Harrogate, including yours, I take that as a massive compliment! :notworthy:

The speakers were actually factory built Lowther Bicor 200 cabinets that I had bought without drivers and fitted with a pair of Lowther PM2C drive units - about 98dB/Watt sensitivity. The amp was an Audio Innovations Alto. We used Ed's BK sub and DSPeaker Antimode unit. As you say, it was remarkable how good it sounded in that very odd shaped room.

I still use the Lowther driven by an Audiolab 8000a amp, and still have the Alto amp and it's matching CD player - pure eye candy:

s-l1600.jpg

(Not my photo!)

I reckon the designer was a War of The Worlds fan.

Image result for war of the worlds space craft

Edited by plasticpenguin
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, plasticpenguin said:

Never heard of Wharfedale Option 1.

These were massive white monoliths that were demonstrated in one of the big halls at Penta Heathrow. They must have been 8' tall with a weird driver configuration. Their sound stage was vast and very listenable. I think they cost something like 20K, a lot of money in the mid 80's,  and only 1 pair was made which ended up across the pond. Somewhere I have a brochure for their smaller brother Option 2's.