Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

plasticpenguin

Aside from your own system...

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

oh yes , his latest , fantastic , heard them at Harrogate and Kegworth

Seconded! When Fun Lovin' Criminals Run Daddy Run came out of Steve's speakers, I was bowled over.

Super Wammer
7 hours ago, Bazzer said:

James' (JamPal) at Scalford '17 , can't remember the source but he had an Accuphase amp and it was the speakers ,Triangles great sound .

Was that when he played Trentemöller's album? Or am I missing a year or three? Crikey, that was pretty spine-tingling.

Just now, TheFlash said:

Was that when he played Trentemöller's album? Or am I missing a year or three? Crikey, that was pretty spine-tingling.

Yes it must have been because James' hadn't exhibited for a few years .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Really enjoying  reading the responses, great idea for a thread.

Hope to be able to add some of my own in a month’s time in Kegworth:rockin:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lindsayt said:

Steve57's DIY'd speakers. Not just his current ones, also his previous efforts.

For the money, the Urei speakers that have featured at recent Scalford and Kegworth shows were great. Really really nice sounding system for c £700.

Indeed standouts from Kegworth. How could I forget. 

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Really enjoying  reading the responses, great idea for a thread.

Hope to be able to add some of my own in a month’s time in Kegworth:rockin:

Did someone mention Kegworth? Crikey, I'm looking forward to it more than a kid looks forward to his fifth birthday... being a non-exhibitor after popping my exhibitor cherry last year, it's all going to feel rather luxuriating.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I'm looking forward to it more than a kid looks forward to his fifth birthday.

Hmmm not sure about that I got a US Marshall's badge and a Sting Ray annual .

• Haha 2

The first time I heard Quad electrostatics I was totally blown away and have been every time since. Regretfully, I don't have the space at home.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Great idea for a conversation. However, if we are tempted to go back too far in time then we must remember nostalgia is not what it used to be...

I've owned four pairs of ProAcs, The first were Studio 125 which were stunning on vocals, more like a BBC-style monitor than a ported floorstander. They didn't rock so after a few years I swithced to Studio 140... but lost in the mids what I had gained in the bass. The ProAc D30R... the  D30RS.

Recently a pair of mint 125's came up on the classifieds; pricey but perfect. I was going to be in Kendal so did the 6 hour round trip to Glasgow and handed over my £600. On first listen, the highs were not as crisp as the D30RS ribbons, mids were nice but not as magical as I remembered, and the bass, which I had remembered as weak, was if anything too strong!

The good news is that listened to over the longer term and not in direct A-B comparison, they're lovely. But they're not quite as lovely as I remember them being. Nostalgia? probably a good dose of it. A more experienced and discerning ear? I'd like to think so!

TBH, it's up to the individual to decide how far they go back. We all have a craving for nostalgia on occasions. That's why I said early naughties (circa 2001/2), when I heard the AVIs. At the time I had the Arcam Alpha 7R and Rotel CDP and Wharfedale speakers.

The best home system I've heard was one with Jeff Rowland amps (Corus/825) driving Harbeth 40.2s including 2 passive subs (can't remember the make) and with super tweeters fitted. The source was a Melco server but sorry, I can't recall whether the DAC was Total or some other brand.

In stores, I've always enjoyed Audio Note amps (usually the Ongaku) with either Audio Note or Avantgarde speakers. Also been impressed by a full MBL system.

2 hours ago, George 47 said:

Peter Q's system in his home. All Audionote (some not released) but a shade expensive. Did sound nice though.

Did he stop trying to sell you something for long enough for you to actually listen to it :D (only joking but I couldn't resist) 

47 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Did someone mention Kegworth? Crikey, I'm looking forward to it more than a kid looks forward to his fifth birthday... being a non-exhibitor after popping my exhibitor cherry last year, it's all going to feel rather luxuriating.

It falls on my daughter's birthday so no way I am going to get a pass to come and visit :(  Have a great time 

• Sad 1

A friend used to have an Audio Research VSi75 amp with Harbeth 30.1's and I think the source was all digital... Mac plus NAS drive and Metrum DAC, sounded superb.

Mac

• Like 1

10 hours ago, uzzy said:

Did he stop trying to sell you something for long enough for you to actually listen to it :D (only joking but I couldn't resist) 

Peter selling........Pope Catholic???

• Haha 1