dudywoxer

superfi gone under?

looks like superfi have called in receivers https://www.whathifi.com/news/superfi-closes-stores-nationwide

• Sad 1

Super Wammer

Super Wammer

Never shopped there, but I know friends who did.  Shame that a once decent store has gone.  I can’t see the chap who bought up HMV being interested.

Never knew they had actual stores - bought one or two bits from them on-line over the years.

What's the future of any retailer with physical shops...?

Super Wammer

Well as Liverpool has not had one other than Richer Sounds for years (one did open up close to me but sadly closed in about a year) I have just had t anke do with hearing things in other peoples systems . Not perfect but often great fun .

• Upvote 1

I actually remember a friend of mine working at the Nottingham branch way back in the late 70s when we were both at the Uni together. The place was then rammed with the top kit of the day including IMF transmission line monitors. Am I correct in thinking that Nottingham was where it all started for Superfi? Anyway, he dropped out of Uni and went into hi fi sales.

This latest news is rather sad and I must admit to being hit by nostalgia! Days of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours (on its release) and Joni Mitchell, Pink Floyd, The Doors and Neil Young all played through big, serious kit. I know that Superfi changed a lot in the intervening years but back then, they had some top notch equipment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bencat said:

Well as Liverpool has not had one other than Richer Sounds for years (one did open up close to me but sadly closed in about a year) I have just had t anke do with hearing things in other peoples systems . Not perfect but often great fun .

Come over to Warrington, we've still got Brady's (he started on Smithdown Road in Liverpool - WA Brady and son I think , was it his Dad's camera shop?). And Acoustica in Chester also not too far. 

But I guess you knew that! 

3 minutes ago, JTW said:

Come over to Warrington, we've still got Brady's (he started on Smithdown Road in Liverpool - WA Brady and son I think , was it his Dad's camera shop?). And Acoustica in Chester also not too far. 

But I guess you knew that! 

Yes and they sold hi-fi up to the late '80s , I grew up round there.

4 minutes ago, lower bullens said:

Yes and they sold hi-fi up to the late '80s , I grew up round there.

I bought quite a lot of stuff from there, Cambridge amp, rega TT and a couple of arms, cartridges etc over the years. I lived on Smithdown when I was a student and used to gaze longingly and pointlessly at the gear in the shop. Subsequently when i started working and had some spare dosh that's where I went to spend it.

we are lucky in brum , we have loads of hi fi stores 

music matters hagley road, and solihull , audioaffair , richer sounds , the little audio co in the jewellery quarter , another new one in the jewellery qtr called hard to find hi fi 

https://www.hardtofindhifi.com/

various others i have forgotten 

• Like 2

Super Wammer

I recall the green and black pages in the Hifi mags and ordering stuff from them in the early 80’s by putting a cheque in the envelope with an order lol.

internet has enhanced the experience of buying and hindered at the same time and internet means you could trade with little or no overheads from your garage lol.

Tottenham Court Road was the HIFI version of Carnaby street in Fashion in the 70’s and 80’s

• Upvote 1

It’s always a shame to see stores go under. But it’s easy to understand. 

Personally, I have bought my first “all new” system in individual purchases over the space of a few years, spending over 5 grand. But... that’s me done for many years to come. And that’s probably where hifi dealers lose out the most. 

Once you are completely happy with your hifi, you aren’t going to spend any more money . 

Bricks and mortar stores just cannot survive selling hifi alone. 

Super Wammer
18 minutes ago, bigfish786 said:

It’s always a shame to see stores go under. But it’s easy to understand. 

Personally, I have bought my first “all new” system in individual purchases over the space of a few years, spending over 5 grand. But... that’s me done for many years to come. And that’s probably where hifi dealers lose out the most. 

Once you are completely happy with your hifi, you aren’t going to spend any more money . 

Bricks and mortar stores just cannot survive selling hifi alone. 

Your supposed to be listening to Vinyl, not troll on here! 😂

Super Wammer
23 minutes ago, BeeRay said:

Was SuperFi similar to Richer Sounds?

No, was always originally a mail order outfit but did venture in to stores later down the line