Beckenham

Superfi closes stores

Super Wammer

Very sad news, another  iconic and reputable UK HiFi dealer  closes all stores and ceased all activity. The web page is now off, very schoking news, sign of the times. :shock:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/superfi-closes-stores-nationwide?fbclid=IwAR2y07v41QcJYYlYYxEBYv0xL7bT1fzN5E4ydDFCGTvnJPtBnszMXdwJ4Yk

Edited by Beckenham
  • Sad 3

I bought my Sony A/V amp from Superfi Newcastle. Sadly that closed down years ago. Another nail in the High Street coffin :(.

wow , been buying stuff from them for years , i saw the lease was up in brum and went in there recently but did not foresee this 

Bough quite a few bits from the Manchester and Strockport branches over the years. I think they have been struggling for a while though, the stock was quite limited compared to shops like Audio T.

Sad day.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That is sad - the Lincoln store at the top end of High St has been there for well over 35 years. :(

Just bought a Sony STR DN1080 AV receiver from them last month. I could have got it a bit cheaper elsewhere but as Superfi were offering a 5 year guarantee with it I thought it best to order from them, only to find out yesterday this had happened.☹️

Is it just a sign of the times perhaps. It is sad to see these bricks and mortar businesses close their doors for good. Always remember their big ads in the what hi-fi, then used to call on their web page occasionally to see if there was any good deals going.

i never bought online from them as delivery was a bit vague , now a few yards from one of their closing stores is the thriving audio affair . they seem extremely successful and still have a shop . perhaps superfi could have learned a thing or two from them 

Super Wammer

Hard times that we all live. The audio industry change to much because the habit consumers change to much too.
In my personal view,  since 2000/1 the audio companies, retailers, the big and small record stores don’t have a bright days anymore.
Do you remember Tower Records store in London? Virgin? Great amazing record stores, all gone.
The iconic HMV still fight for her business ''life'', job losses and stores closers all across the country.
Small and family audio business all across the country still fighting for still run own business, god help them...
A Canadian record company give a hand to save HMV, but we never know what’s happen next in a couple of months or years...
My first time in England was 7 years old , and back 7 years later almost 50 years ago, and I remember very well see the prosperous high street stores like Oxford and Regent Street with plenty of great and iconic British stores, middle class families with money in pockets walking on streets, well, golden years that UK lived.
Now what do you see? Selfridges, John Lewis not included and just only one or two more, but we can see only big mainstream stores selling majority only rubbish with funny jackets, funny shoes, silly clothes with very poor quality ( global world ).
Who are responsible for that? Online consumers? High resolution files ( Streaming ) consumers? Global World?, Asian economy?
That’s life and the sign of the times definitely, what can I do?
Cheers

Edited by Beckenham
  • Upvote 1

Indeed a sign of the times. I bought a few bits from the Manchester store and always found the staff very helpful and friendly. I bought my first DVD player off them as it was able to play all region D|VD's. I found out later how to set most DVD players up myself to play all regions. I bought yards and yards of speaker cable off them when moving into a new house. The Manchester store always seemed busy on the few occasions that I visited.

I bought a pair of AE flootstanders over the phone from them, they had sold out of the ones I wanted so the salesman gave me the next model up for the same money. Sad that they have gone under. 

Yet again this proves - if proof were needed - intternet shopper have won.

I'm not totally blameless as I've purchased the odd CD and record online.... other than the Electrocompaniet CD player every hi-fi component has been purchased from the high street shop.

R.I.P High Street.

Super Wammer

More info about the end of retailer Superfi. The ''problem'' is all the orders are made online a few days ago from a few costumers not arrive yet... lost money, very stressful :oops:

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/02/superfi-latest-victim-high-street-woes-ceases-trading/