Goon525

Getting Linn, Qobuz and Roon to work together

I dabbled with Roon for the last couple of weeks.  I really like how all of my music from various sources is lumped together in one space.  So everything on my Melco, and Kstor hard drives, plus my Qobuz account, and Radio Paradise.

I love how the interface presents itself, with suggestions, or genres.  I love how Roon Radio will pick up from where my stored playlist finishes, and carry on playing similar tunes.

But my Roon Core is on my laptop and I don't like having to keep my laptop open.  If I wake up in the morning and reach for my ipad, I can't get Roon to work unless I go and fire up the laptop.

Does anyone know if we can run Roon Core from the Melco, which is always on?  That would solve my issue.

Just keep the laptop running. You can keep it running with the screen down.

Or get a roon nucleus. I don't think there is a melco version of the core.

Doing a bit of reading round the subject. I don’t think I could justify it anyway, but is the Nucleus inappropriate with Linn gear because it outputs USB and our streamers don’t accept it? Or is the HDMI connection useable without compromise?

9 minutes ago, Goon525 said:

Doing a bit of reading round the subject. I don’t think I could justify it anyway, but is the Nucleus inappropriate with Linn gear because it outputs USB and our streamers don’t accept it? Or is the HDMI connection useable without compromise?

The nucleus streams to the network. It's basically where the core runs. It's like a roon NAS.

You point it to your music (which can also be on the nucleus if you want) and it does the rest. It's a bells and whistles device so USB may well be an input rather than out, or could be both

1 hour ago, oldsandals said:

Oops.

Just realized I'm loitering and posting in the Linn forum and I've not got my suit on!

;-)

Most of us in the Linn section are posting on the Wigwam, sitting at the kitchen table, in our underwear .  😛😂

One drawback with Roon is that I find the SQ slightly worse with the Akurate DSM/3. I have been playing around with the Roon DSP including upsampling, DSD 128 with 7th order (CLANS), headroom adjustment, parametric EQ, etc. But the sound is not better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Most of us in the Linn section are posting on the Wigwam, sitting at the kitchen table, in our underwear .  😛😂

Not going commando Paul? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, cspgqqt said:

One drawback with Roon is that I find the SQ slightly worse with the Akurate DSM/3. I have been playing around with the Roon DSP including upsampling, DSD 128 with 7th order (CLANS), headroom adjustment, parametric EQ, etc. But the sound is not better.

Linn has not incorporated Roon’s RAAT protocol into its harware, unlike other manufacturers. This is why Linn streamers only ‘qualifiy’ by Roon as a ‘Roon Tested DAC’, rather than as a ‘Roon Ready Network Plyer’. I must admit to not knowing a great deal about Roon’s RAAT, but it may explain the SQ differences you are experiencing.

With a ‘Roon Ready’ device, there should be no SQ difference whatsoever. 

2 minutes ago, kelly200269 said:

Linn has not incorporated Roon’s RAAT protocol into its harware, unlike other manufacturers. This is why Linn streamers only ‘qualifiy’ by Roon as a ‘Roon Tested DAC’, rather than as a ‘Roon Ready Network Plyer’. I must admit to not knowing a great deal about Roon’s RAAT, but it may explain the SQ differences you are experiencing.

With a ‘Roon Ready’ device, there should be no SQ difference whatsoever. 

Thanks, that would explain it.

Those last two comments have got me a little concerned. I had assumed that using Roon to drive Qobuz would result in SQ at least no worse than otherwise: now it sounds like that’s not the case. (I’m away from home and won’t be able to use my own ears to check this for a couple of weeks.)

2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I prefer to be a wee bit modest  :$

Especially when the nurses are delivering the meds  9_9

37 minutes ago, Goon525 said:

Those last two comments have got me a little concerned. I had assumed that using Roon to drive Qobuz would result in SQ at least no worse than otherwise: now it sounds like that’s not the case. (I’m away from home and won’t be able to use my own ears to check this for a couple of weeks.)

I think there are a lot of ‘dependecies’ at play here, when it comes to SQ with/without Roon. You may find no difference yourself.

However,  it may be that Linn not adopting Roon’s RAAT may be the main factor here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

I prefer to be a wee bit modest  :$

Especially when the nurses are delivering the meds  9_9

Very wise.  In my experience, their hands tend to be cold. :o