bencat

Wharfedale Speakers - memory gone

Super Wammer

I wonder could someone help with some information which I am not able to recall . The main designer of the Celestion SL6 / 600 speakers left Celestion and moved to Wharferdale  . He then produced a pair of speakers for Wharferdale using similar design to the SL range with an aluminium tweeter and a Mid/Bass driver with similar smoothed roll surround to the Celestion unit. Again he designed these using laser graphs which enabled him to get a smoother transition from drive units.

What for the life of me I can not remember is what the model number of this speaker was anyone any idea ?

5 hours ago, bencat said:

I wonder could someone help with some information which I am not able to recall . The main designer of the Celestion SL6 / 600 speakers left Celestion and moved to Wharferdale  . He then produced a pair of speakers for Wharferdale using similar design to the SL range with an aluminium tweeter and a Mid/Bass driver with similar smoothed roll surround to the Celestion unit. Again he designed these using laser graphs which enabled him to get a smoother transition from drive units.

What for the life of me I can not remember is what the model number of this speaker was anyone any idea ?

I believe you are referring to Graham Bank?

Might be the XP or SP series or the first version of the Wharfedale Diamond?

Edited by complin

Super Wammer
1 hour ago, notevenclose said:

As you were. 708. That's the fella.

Thank you @notevenclose  that would indeed appear to be the very model I was thinking of. I think now I will have to seek out a pair and give them a try .

6 minutes ago, bencat said:

Thank you @notevenclose  that would indeed appear to be the very model I was thinking of. I think now I will have to seek out a pair and give them a try .

I am not sure how you will like them if you love your KEF 103s.  From my memory the Celestions SL6 were just not my cup of tea in fact they were so laid back I found it hard to believe they had a metal tweeter.  The Wharfedales from memory had a more up front sound with clearer middle and top but that could be an effect of being what I thought was a tad bass shy but I could be confusing them with the first Diamonds, which for all their faults were a cracking pair of very cheap loudspeakers for someone on a budget or starting out.

Anyway it is all a matter of personal taste and I have to say I couldn't understand the rave reviews on the SL6s but I have to admit I never tried them at home (which I would have done if they had impressed in the dem room).  

Super Wammer

I had some SL600s, thanks to a competition I won at one of the old Heathrow shows, at the Pentagon Hotel, I think, around 1986.  The SL6s were indeed quite rolled off, which the 600s addressed to a large extent, by substituting Aerolam for the original wooden cabinet.  I had them over ten years, and then they were burgled when we were on holiday!  

My memory, by no means that dependable, is that the notion that metal tweeters sounded hard, bright or metallic came rather later. The point of the Celestion was something about being more pistonic in their motion, I think.  But after a resonance at about 20kHz they quite soon faded.  By a twist of fate that meant they suited early CD replay rather well. 

Super Wammer

I owned a pair of SL600 Si speakers for many years and the only reason they were changed were that my Krell went DC and pushed the spider through the front of the Bass drivers and by that time Celestion had gone so no replacements.

the SL6 series was one of the first to use a metal tweeter but they were all copper . Later 700 series and I think the Wharfedale speakers mentioned here had Aluminum for the tweeter material which is often were issues of metal tweeters seem to come from .

Would still like to find a pair as I remember hearing them years ago at a show on the end of an early Musical Fidelity Amplifier and they sounded very good in those difficult circumstances .

Edited by bencat

Super Wammer
22 minutes ago, bencat said:

I owned a pair of SL600 Si speakers for many years and the only reason they were changed were that my Krell went DC and pushed the spider through the front of the Bass drivers and by that time Celestion had gone so no replacements.

the SL6 series was one of the first to use a metal tweeter but they were all copper . Later 700 series and I think the Wharfedale speakers mentioned here had Aluminum for the tweeter material which is often were issues of metal tweeters seem to come from .

Would still like to find a pair as I remember hearing them years ago at a show on the end of an early Musical Fidelity Amplifier and they sounded very good in those difficult circumstances .

Now I recall you mentioned that once before.  They were a lovely listen, and I admired the Si and 700 models.  One of my Tannoy owning friends always said they sound ‘cut off at the knees’ and I realise they weren’t really full range - but I mostly used them in a flat and then smallish houses (all I could afford back then) where they worked fine.  When the KEF LS50 first appeared I imagined those as being a sort of spiritual successor to the SLs, though KEF naturally chose to drop in the LS3/5a reference! 

My prize included a MF Studio T amplifier, a rare model with more power than the then popular Dr Thomas model. They worked brilliantly together, but the amp was quite sensitive to dirty mains.

Ha, gosh takes me back!

I got a pair of SL6's off my father-in-law in exchange for a dishwasher, maybe 20+ years ago. :)

TBH, I can't really remember them now - not bad I guess, replaced with a pair of Ruark Talisman II's after about 2-3 years.