Kegworth Show Information

The information for this year's show is now live at www.thehifishow.com or by clicking on the show banner below.

NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS NOW OPEN - Special Offer....Stay Saturday, join in all the build up excitement on Sat night and then gain FREE access to the show on Sunday

ONLY 4 EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT - BIG SYSTEM SPACES SOLD OUT - ONLY 2 NON EXHIBITOR ROOMS LEFT

Pani

Which Quad amp for Tannoy Turnberry SE ?

Hello folks, I am thinking of getting a Quad amplifier for my Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers. I am choosing between:

1. Quad II forty

2. Quad II Eighty

3. Quad Elite QMP

My room size is approximately 200 sqft and I listen to all kinds of music (except electronica, hip-hop).

My preamp is Linear Tube Audio (Berning) Micro ZOTL-2.

Has anyone heard these amps to give me some first hand inputs ?

I had Turnberrys, and best results were with either Class A solid state or push-pull valves.  35 watts was plenty (I used an Air Tight ATM-1) so on that basis I'd go for the Forty.

Super Wammer

Another vote for the Forty as it will be powerful enough for the Tannoy's and in my view it sounds sweeter than the Eighty .

16 minutes ago, Pani said:

Thanks guys. Where does that leave the quad qmp elite ?

On the side lines and if you can afford it get the 80 over the 40 .. no you do not need the extra but it is a very nice to have (and future proofs you if you decide to go down a less efficient loudspeaker route.

Over last 12 months I tried many different amps with my Tannoy Kensington speakers (very similar to Turnberry) and liked them with 20W push/pull class A el34 amp, single ended 55W Mastersound 845 amp was good match as was 50W Ear 834 I thought.

Then I bought Krell FPB 200c Class A behemoth and preferred it to any valve amp I had before.

Currently my Tannoys are driven with 500W McIntosh mono blocks and Modwright LS36.5 pre and this is the favourite combo for me so far. 

Tannoy prestige speakers can sound great with 20W, but I think they really open up with powerful and clean solid state amps.

Screenshot_20190205-200012_Gallery.jpg

Edited by tnorvaisas
  • Like 4

Lovely setup there above - wOw

I like the way you've tried many amplifiers both valve and tube before deciding on the monstrous Mac's..!! Did you get the chance to borrow the amplifiers you auditioned and mentioned above from friends or audio dealerships..? I'm just curious...

Those 500w McIntosh mono's are things of utter beauty, built like Sherman tanks and would last decades for sure. 

Enjoy, fabulous looking and I'm sure a fabulous sounding Hi-Fi system.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Thanks. This is exactly why I have listed 3 different amps from Quad. I have myself tried the Turnberry with a 10 watt Wavac EC-300b (exotic sound but ultimately lacked power when you go loud), a 18 watt Audio Note Conquest SS (more power so more stable into higher volumes, less magic though, ultimately still not enough power and crunch for Michael JAckson). These were SETs, very musically coherent but power and dynamics not enough. I have heard from people that Tannoy needs push-pull amps for a stable and confident sound at high volumes so now I am choosing among push-pulls. 

I have tried a few SS amps (ATC integrated, Pass XA 30.8, Naim XS). They all did a fine job of driving the speakers but they sounded grayish. I believe Quad SS amps are harmonically not bleached so I am still considering them.

I dont intend to blast at 110db but still a solid 100db performance with Michael Jackson type of music should be happily performed. I dont listen to MJ a lot but I keep it as a reference for punch and dynamics. So will the Quad II forty do it ?

I want to keep it Quad else there are other options like the Rogue Stereo 100

10 hours ago, macvisual said:

Lovely setup there above - wOw

I like the way you've tried many amplifiers both valve and tube before deciding on the monstrous Mac's..!! Did you get the chance to borrow the amplifiers you auditioned and mentioned above from friends or audio dealerships..? I'm just curious...

After getting my first pair of dual concentric Tannoys (Stirling SE), I was on the mission to find ideal amplification for them hence got involved in insane box swapping game. Unfortunately I had to buy all amps myself (mostly S/H or ex demo from dealers). 

Monstrous Macs actually have sweet/valve like midrange and are very musical and organic sounding with tremendous low end.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tnorvaisas said:

After getting my first pair of dual concentric Tannoys (Stirling SE), I was on the mission to find ideal amplification for them hence got involved in insane box swapping game. Unfortunately I had to buy all amps myself (mostly S/H or ex demo from dealers). 

Monstrous Macs actually have sweet/valve like midrange and are very musical and organic sounding with tremendous low end.

Hi tnorvaisas...

What you just described just sounded like the krell iam presently using.  Sweet mids and treble and awesome bass. Can you please describe the difference between the krell and Mc intosh's . It would be very helpful for me in the long run. Thanks for your time :)

If you want to go SS with Tannoys, I have found Class A to work best.  My current Grandinote Shinai is excellent.  A vintage Pioneer A-09 was very good.  A Sugden Masterclass was good, but not as good as the other two.  I would expect big old Krell to be great, modern Krell not so much.

• Like 1

No idea - it's a unique design and I have never used one

On 06/02/2019 at 05:01, Pani said:

I have tried a few SS amps (ATC integrated, Pass XA 30.8, Naim XS). They all did a fine job of driving the speakers but they sounded grayish. I believe Quad SS amps are harmonically not bleached so I am still considering them.

I think if you perceive these amps as greyish then that’s because you’ve become accustomed to valve colorations.  Between the three above and Quads, it’s the Quads I’d expect to sound the most grey, or neutral if you prefer.  Naim is distinctly forward and bouncy, the ATC (if it’s the current 150 model) is excellent with just a smidge of Class AB warmth, the Pass I don’t know but would expect to be very good all round.  

Don't the speakers already provide all the character you need?  I appreciate it’s all very individual, so feel free to ignore me!

I am actually also considering Naim Supernait 2. But it is my last choice after the quads.